Mk3 Cupra 280. Hand brake broke

tatestar1

Dec 8, 2013
Hi Guys,

had a bit of a nightmare today, i parked up to get petrol this morning, came back in the car to see the hand brake button and spring by gear stick. so i put the spring back and push button in, which doesnt stay in now, but the hand brake doesnt engage. it looks like the push button has a clip of something that a sanpped which is why is sprung out.

is there a way to fix this, or will i need to purchase a whole new hand brake unit

any advise will be appriciated

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi Guys,

had a bit of a nightmare today, i parked up to get petrol this morning, came back in the car to see the hand brake button and spring by gear stick. so i put the spring back and push button in, which doesnt stay in now, but the hand brake doesnt engage. it looks like the push button has a clip of something that a sanpped which is why is sprung out.

is there a way to fix this, or will i need to purchase a whole new hand brake unit

any advise will be appriciated
I'm sure there is a thread about this problem somewhere on the forum, it happened on a previous car of mine and I used a strong glue to hold the button in place.

tatestar1

Dec 8, 2013
I'm sure there is a thread about this problem somewhere on the forum, it happened on a previous car of mine and I used a strong glue to hold the button in place.
yeah it happened to me before but it hasnt stopped me lift the hand brake up to park the car, cannot lock the hand brake up at all to park

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a comment, in case some one does not already know this, VW Group consider that these push-on button releases are a "one time use only" item, workshop manuals, I seem to remember, make this clear when covering any work that involves removing this button.

I like the idea of using a gripper clip to carry the load of the spring though, that will always work for a DIYer owner.

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Just out of interest, when you guys operate the handbrake, do you push the button in, pull up the lever then release the button or just pull up without touching the button?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just out of interest, when you guys operate the handbrake, do you push the button in, pull up the lever then release the button or just pull up without touching the button?
On my current 2018 Cupra - I just use the silly little electronic button.

But - on cars where there is a proper handbrake - I push the button in when lifting the lever.

Reactions: Walone
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.