Handling????

dannyFR+tdi

Mar 4, 2008
St.Helens, Merseyside
Right in my sig i have done the brakes and struts and hopefully soon ill have some ap coilovers and 19x8.5 alloys and was wondering about the fitting arb's, droplinks and dogbone mounts. does anyone have any advice/recommendations on these??

Cheers in advance

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
rear arb is the most effective mod, i went whiteline mk4 golf 22mm bar and its amazing, 3 levels of adjustment also.

droplinks not really a noticeable mod, go for dbm, try ina mounts if you can afford, little or zero vibrations, engine and tranny mounts are also spot on from ina.

s3 top strut and lower strut will tighten the front end up nicely, lowered on coilies with the above mods will make for a decent handling quick car.

good idea to replace bushes with polymer style or audi tt roadster bushes to stiffen things up

dannyFR+tdi

Mar 4, 2008
St.Helens, Merseyside
Thanks for replys,

I already have the fronts struts done and want to go quite low with the ap coilovers and 19x8.5 alloys, just worried about rubbin and the driveshaft catching as heard it was a problem, so was thinking of doing the front,rear arb and shorter droplinks and then possibly dogbone mounts, also i dont want to spend a fortune but want some good quality parts

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If your going very low don't bother changing anything else just do the coilovers.
The coilovers at a very low ride height won't give you a good handling car so no point in trying to improve anything else because it will be the low ride height thats giving you the handling problems. To get the best out of the handling you cannot drop the ride height, you need stiffer spring and better shock at the standard ride height with ARB's to stiffen the system, then you'll have a good handling car but you won't get the drop you seem to want. Engine and transmission mounts coupled with Dog bone gear box mount will also help.

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
With the 8.5 wide alloys you might find these foul the coilovers. Mine are very close, depends on which brand of coilovers as to wheterh they will foul the alloy/rubber.
Spacers will sort it out - but not too much or you will be outside the wheel arch.
A sensible drop on coilovers with the above mentioned mods would be best.

dannyFR+tdi

Mar 4, 2008
St.Helens, Merseyside
Going to do some more research on this as ive heard from afew threads on another site that if you lower a car rather low there could be some rubbin which is overcome by changing the arb's and using shorter droplinks. Im not wanting to go too low as i use the car everyday but i want it to sit just above where the tyres will be when the 19's are fitted so will have to see what thats like when i get the alloys. After reading up on spacers seems that you are aloud to go 30mm outside the arch but the tread of the tyre must be inside the arch which would mean stretched tyres so a small spacer should be ok if there is any fouling.

Ill try to get a photoshop done of what im wanting to achieve, so you can give me more specific info instead of me asking daft questions

Cheers for the replies guys

andycupra

status subject to change
seeing you are after a well handling car id say:

dont lower it too far. In the real world (roads not a track) the lower and harder you go does not mean a better handling car.
Also, do your homework regarding the alloys, you may struggle to get alloys that clear the calipers and arches. even at 18" and 8" wide alloys many do not clear the calipers.

dannyFR+tdi

Mar 4, 2008
St.Helens, Merseyside
Im wanting a set up that wont make the handling like a sack of you know what :redface:.

Im not after a race set up just a good everyday set up that wont cause problems with how low i want to go.

I do want to go low (but still be usable everyday) as im into the euro vag scene etc at the moment and if i decide it should be raised can always raise it up, Just dont want any fouling,rubbing Which is why i mentioned uprated arb's, shorter droplinks. The engine mounts and bush's i was just thinking of doing in the future as they seem to be more durable than standard ones

Think i need a photoshop of what i want, To put it across better than my wording.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I think pretty much its all been said really..

I've got every handling mod going on my FR TDI...

Eibach Coilovers, ARBS front and back, bushes replaced, upper and lower strut braces, Engine and gearbox mounts replaced with VF engineering sets, reforcement of subframe etc.

It handles like a nothing I've owned, its not lowered to far, just enough to bring the centre of gravity down far enough.

But i will say one thing that no one has mentioned...

Differential... its the one thing that changed my cars handling the most. Its fine to handle well, but if you put on a pinch of power (especially in a torquey diesel) the whole balanced set up goes for nothing, one wheel looses traction and understeer etc upsets the whole lot.
Yes its the most expensive item in the set up at £1000 odd... but its worth every penny a ATB Diff!

JamJay

California Bound
I am looking at doing some similar things to mine although not wanting to go very low, just 30mm. How do I got about fitting a rear ARB on an LCR, I don't like not having one & I certainly can notice the lack of it at times.

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Does the ARB really make a big difference and why does it come in different sizes?

What will increase the handling more, lowering with new shocks and springs, front arb or a rear arb? This is for the FR Tdi if that make a difference.

And do spacers help at all?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you guys know a lot more than me.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Yeah, a massive difference as it doesn't have a rear ARB as standard.

You'll notice a lot less body roll from fitting a rear ARB but uprated springs and shocks are also a really good thing to do.

The thicker the bar the stiffer the chassis goes and the less roll you get. Although we suggest going no thicker then 25mm on the rear.

Damian @ DPM

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Why do you suggest no thicker than 25mm rear ARB, the MK4's best handling set up is a 28mm ARB and raised front suspension with uprated shocks and springs. Proven time and time again on the road and track
This is the first I've heard about problems with the 28mm bar.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Why do you suggest no thicker than 25mm rear ARB, the MK4's best handling set up is a 28mm ARB and raised front suspension with uprated shocks and springs. Proven time and time again on the road and track
This is the first I've heard about problems with the 28mm bar.

I never said it caused problems, i just said in my opinion 25mm is big enough for the rear.

Damian @ DPM

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I never said it caused problems, i just said in my opinion 25mm is big enough for the rear.

Damian @ DPM
Damian,

Its very interesting that you should say this, thats what I'm saying.
What problems or better handling characteristics have you had with the 25mm bar that is lost or exaggerated with the biggers bars etc?
What cars have these been fitted to and with what additional modifications?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
We've fitted the 28mm rear ARBs to a couple of Golf 4's both having been lowered around 30-40mm and found the back stiffer then what it needed to be and felt slightly unbalanced. Both owners even came back to get the bar swapped for a thinner one.

A lot of it is down to personal choice and also driving style.

Damian @ DPM

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.