Hard start issues

Nov 22, 2022
So, I just picked up a Seat Leon Mk2 1.8 TFSI DSG 7 speed beauty. 2009., model 2010. with 175k kilometers on the clock.
Now, the thing with is, that it has trouble starting, but don't get me wrong. When I wake up in the morning and enter my car after 10+ hours of sitting outside in the cold, it starts PERFECTLY. Ofcourse a bit loud until the revs come down, but other than that, perfectly. BUT, when I leave it for a few hours, sometimes, even when I leave it for 5 minutes, the first turn of the key, cranking, and turning off. Usually turns on on the second try. Already changed fuel filter, and fuel pressure sensor. Still the problem is there. I don't want to randomly change stuff and spend money, so, does anyone here have any idea what could it be? Maybe the fuel pump in the reservoir? Maybe crankshaft sensor? Can't be smart. The worst part is that the diagnostic is showing no fault codes whatsoever.
And sorry, English is not my native language, so I don't know all the words to use, plus, I'm not really a mechanic lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
You must check the starter. I had the problem that when my car was cold was start immediately but after it gets warm it wasn't started at all.. i had to wait till become cold again.. finally i changed the starter motor and everything's fine.

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
One day i remember i was parked outside of a super market and i had to wait 30 minutes so to ******* start again.. and my battery is brand new also. So go check your starter motor pal. Thats was the issue with mine.

Nov 22, 2022
I don't think so. The guy said that he doesn't have an error code like mine. I had the same issue. It was the starter motor. It doesn't give a scan error
The thing is, when the car cranks and turns over, it shows engine light, and says consult service engine fault etc etc.. But when I turn it on again, no error is displayed.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I don't think so. The guy said that he doesn't have an error code like mine. I had the same issue. It was the starter motor. It doesn't give a scan error
Whats putting me off is that the starter motor starts every time after a night off.

Hot starting issues would not direct me to a starter motor issue

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
Whats putting me off is that the starter motor starts every time after a night off.

Hot starting issues would not direct me to a starter motor issue
Then how you can explain that my hot starting issues disappeared totally with a new starter motor? 😋

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Then how you can explain that my hot starting issues disappeared totally with a new starter motor? 😋
I'm guessing yours wouldn't crank when hot, that is a common symptom of a bad starter. This one cranks and doesn't start. More of an indication of a fuel pressure issue more likely

Reactions: Chris78
Nov 22, 2022
I'm guessing yours wouldn't crank when hot, that is a common symptom of a bad starter. This one cranks and doesn't start. More of an indication of a fuel pressure issue more likely

Mine doesnt start first time when it cranks but always starts on second try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Mine doesnt start first time when it cranks but always starts on second try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that seems more like a fuel issue but it's a weird one. Have you tried measuring the fuel pressure when it's cranking and not starting?