Has anyone got info (advise) on the workaround to change the Matrix on a 64 plate Leon FR?

hewittinspain

May 27, 2017
I had some helpful advise regarding why im losing coolant which is in conjunction of the fact the interior heating on the drivers side isnt too hot. I finally bought a new Matrix and my girlfriends friend who is a mechanic is going to change it for me.
I told him about a possible workaround which has been mentioned on here that can be done via the glove box rather than taking the dash out which he said he will "look into". With him not being a member on here and the fact I haven't spoken to him since I dont know for sure if he has found this workaround (although he is very clued up with his cars).

Anyway he is doing it this weekend, the car will be at his for 2 days and incase he hasnt found the workaround (although he may have worked one out) then has anyone any advise and how long this would possibly take him to do the job for me.

Thanks in advance

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Try this thread:

Post 16, plus a few later ones.

Or ask @Walone whom is a pretty active member on here.

Reactions: Walone

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
I had some helpful advise regarding why im losing coolant which is in conjunction of the fact the interior heating on the drivers side isnt too hot. I finally bought a new Matrix and my girlfriends friend who is a mechanic is going to change it for me.
I told him about a possible workaround which has been mentioned on here that can be done via the glove box rather than taking the dash out which he said he will "look into". With him not being a member on here and the fact I haven't spoken to him since I dont know for sure if he has found this workaround (although he is very clued up with his cars).

Anyway he is doing it this weekend, the car will be at his for 2 days and incase he hasnt found the workaround (although he may have worked one out) then has anyone any advise and how long this would possibly take him to do the job for me.

Thanks in advance

Give that a watch mate. It’s a Skoda Octavia but it’s based on the same platform as a Seat Leon, VW Golf etc so it’s the exact same setup as your car. I have a 64 plate Seat Leon FR and I used this video to change my matrix. My garage tried to charge me almost £400 and told me the dash board needed to come out etc. That is not the case with the Mk3 Leon. The matrix is accessible via the passenger footwell. I bought a matrix and fitted it myself. It took a few mins to change. I’d definitely recommend to watch this video and follow the same steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Walone

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've DM'd you but this reply to a couple of other members has a couple of useful tips in it:

The Leon has 3 cooling circuits on the engine - the heater matrix/EGR cooler circuit is one of them but the main one is the radiator circuit. I just changed the matrix and drained the coolant from that and you get probably less than a pint! I also had the water pump changed soon after and got my mechanic to drop the radiator hose and that got a fair amount of coolant out.

The only way to fully bleed the coolant is to get SEAT to use software and special kit at great expense. It's not worth it.

I would probably suggest that you take off the bottom rad hoses and drain as much as you can (some rads do have a drain tap).

In terms of advice - this video is what I used as a guide. It's for an Octavia but the plumbing is the same (someone else has already posted this)

Line the footwell with thick plastic sheeting and then have some towels and kitchen towel ready. You WILL spill some.

There are 3 screws holding the blower motor in place. The one at the back is hard to get to, so a short T25 (or whatever size it is) on a small ratchet works best. Anything longer is hard to fit in the footwell.

When you remove the glovebox/multimedia unit - label all of the wires and remember (write down) what order things came out. There is a footwell light and glovebox light and it's easy to forget what goes where.

When you re-attach the pipes to the matrix - on the lower pipe make sure that the pipe is fully in and the retaining collar on the back is fully engageds and clips on to the back properly, otherwise it will leak a little (there is a small lip and it need to sit over that).

Also be careful when sliding in the new matrix. They are very easy to damage. Just be patient and take your time. Don't force it if it doesn't feel right.

You will need to run/drive the car, let it cool overnight and top it up when cold (maybe 2 or 3 times) as it self bleeds and there will be some air pockets. It should then settle down.

It took me a couple of hours to do and I faffed a bit.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.