Haynes Manual

rig1964

I've just discovered that there is no Haynes manual available for the Alhambra. The Haynes web site suggests the Galaxy one but points out that while the cars are similar there are also many differences.

What I specifally need a manual for is a power steering problem, does anyone know if the Galaxy or Sharan manual will help me with this or is this one of the areas where the vehicles are different?

Alternatively does anyone know of another make of workshop manual for the Alhambra?

Cheers

roverlander

I believe that the Galaxy manual would be OK as the main difference between the Ford and Seat/volkswagen vehicles is only in the engine department. The Galaxy uses Ford engines while the other two use VW engines. The wiring diagrams in the back of the manual would be of some assistance but do differ from model to model. I use the Galaxy manual as a reference for my Seat Alhambra 20vt. There is a section on the power steering pump, bleeding and the steering rack. What do you require - I will have a look and see if it can be of any use to you.

rig1964

At slow speeds the steering is very stiff and juders alot. Also it squeals like a belt is maybe slipping or something. The problem gets worse the slower the vehicle is moving. When I'm just pulling out of the drive for example I have to wrestle with the wheel and the squeeling/screaching sound can be heard half way down the road.

I wanted to have a look at a manual to get a general idea of how it works and see if it looks like the kind of thing I could have a go at fixing myself, what to check and how to check it etc.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

roverlander

I will have a look to see if it says anything but it sounds to me as if the pump has packed up. If you turn off the engine but unlock the steering and roll the car gently downhill does the steering feel as heavy as it does with the engine running - if so I would reckon that the pump has failed as it is not being driven by the engine, or the drive belt is so slack that it is not driving the pump. Is there any fluid in the reservoir ?

roverlander

There is no diagram of the power steering in the haynes manual, but if you go to this site vagcat.com and register for it you will get diagrams of most parts on the car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members