Head Unit Replacement Options for RCD310

hcuk94

Dec 27, 2022
Hi all

I am just in the process of buying a Mk2 Leon 1.2 TSI S Copa to replace my old Mk1 Leon 1.4 S which had its timing belt snap over the weekend ☹️

The S Copa comes with an RCD310 head unit (the version with an older black on grey screen rather than the more modern white on black one), and the bluetooth module.

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the media controls (skip, etc) to work with an iPhone? I can adjust the volume when playing from bluetooth but not skip forward.

Secondly, I am looking at upgrade options to add navigation or ideally CarPlay.
I see the RCD330 is a popular choice but I don't like the idea of losing the use of the integrated USB/Aux ports and handsfree mic - so I think I'm ruling that out.
The other option I think is to go to an RNS310, RNS315 or RNS510 - and use the built-in navigation.

The RNS510 looks like the nicest option, but I have a few queries that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with:
1) Do all the above 3 models fit in the Mk2 Facelift stereo faceplate?
2) Would they all work with my existing bluetooth module, aux/usb ports, handsfree mic and steering wheel controls?
3) Has anyone fitted one and if so how/where have you installed a GPS antenna?
4) Any other drawbacks/gotchas to be aware of with doing this?

Thanks in advance!
hcuk94

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Your existing faceplate might work, can't be sure.
The existing mic and steering controls will work, if you get an RNS-315 it has it's own bluetooth built in so you wont' need the existing module.

The GPS antennae I used was magnetic, I just stuck it to the most convenient steel part and it's worked fine.

You'll probably need the security code with any headunit you go for, make sure that's included by the person selling it, if not find another one (there's lots to choose from)

hcuk94

Dec 27, 2022
Thanks!
Do you know if there's any benefit to the built-in bluetooth module on the 315 over the existing module? I read something about some of the bluetooth modules not doing streaming, though I managed to do this fine with mine so maybe not an issue.

And yeah I'll make sure to get the code, good shout, thanks

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I have a 315, it connects each time I get in the car and if select media I can play whatever is on my phone