Headlight washer jets not spraying

t121anf

May 14, 2004
i had to remove my front bumper to replace a broken grill, in doing so I had to disconnect the pipes for the headlight washers.

I’ve put the car back together but now the washer jets aren’t spraying.

the jets are popping out and I can hear the pump working.

the internet suggest they need priming via VCDS, anyone know how to prime these or get them working again? (I don’t have vcds only I deleted but I’m hoping the process can be replicated)

pulling the jets out by hand, the drivers has more resistance than the passenger and I can see the fluid moving in the reservoir but this isn’t fixing it.

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Jets are pressure operated, meaning, if they are popping out, there is pressure up until the nozzle. That means either the last part of the hose (it's a two piece hose in the bumper if I remember correctly) is clogged or the nozzle is. What you could do is pull out the nozzle by hand, disconnect the last bit of the hose and check if something is blocked. That small piece goes from the nozzle down to some kind of clamp where it attaches to the main hose which goes back to the pump. You should be able to see the connection once you pull it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: t121anf

t121anf

May 14, 2004
I don't know if it was because I left it overnight or because I changed the frequency to everything the windscreen was washed but they started working this morning.

Yesterday I did fill the bottle, took over 4 litres of water (which now I'll have to slowly waste to swap out for screenwash) so maybe gravity has filled the pipes.

Anyway panic over.