Heater blower motor failure?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Has anyone else had their heater / aircon blower motor fail ? My '06 Toledo with 55K miles has just eaten its second.
It hasnt stopped completely, but has developed a bad squeak - that sounds like semi-seized bearings / bushes - same as the first one.
My guess is that after a winter of sucking in wet salty air, corrosion has destroyed the friction surfaces - the old model Toledo /Leon was a better design, in that the pollen filter was before the motor, so the motor intself ran in filtered air - the current model runs in dirty air, th epollen filter is downstream of it.
Will I have to buy a new heater motor every 12 months forever more ?
Or does anyone know of a fix ?
If Dave from Sere motors in Belfast is reading this, can he offer any advice or at least a good price on the necessary replacement...the original one was replaced under warranty, but I know this one wont be !

Thanks folks - keep the faith...

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Has anyone else had their heater / aircon blower motor fail ? My '06 Toledo with 55K miles has just eaten its second.
It hasnt stopped completely, but has developed a bad squeak - that sounds like semi-seized bearings / bushes - same as the first one.
My guess is that after a winter of sucking in wet salty air, corrosion has destroyed the friction surfaces - the old model Toledo /Leon was a better design, in that the pollen filter was before the motor, so the motor intself ran in filtered air - the current model runs in dirty air, th epollen filter is downstream of it.
Will I have to buy a new heater motor every 12 months forever more ?
Or does anyone know of a fix ?
If Dave from Sere motors in Belfast is reading this, can he offer any advice or at least a good price on the necessary replacement...the original one was replaced under warranty, but I know this one wont be !

Thanks folks - keep the faith...

no real advice :( we have done 1 or 2 but not a really common issue that we have seen. any value in contacting SEAT customer care? 0500 222222 PM me or post on my dealer section if I can help

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi Guys,

well my blower motor is still working, but is VERY noisy and squeals something awful - the first one went the same way. Eventually the resistor bank burnt out also - perhpas due to heavy loa don the motor as it was seizing up. Eventually it only worked on fan setting #4.
Car was just under 2 years old at the time, so dealer replaced it under warranty, but advised me it would have been about € 300 if I had to buy it myself.
This one seems to be heading in the same direction - just 1 year later.
Dealer says they have replaced quite a few - a known problem on Toledo / Altea models according to him.

Dave (Sere), if you're reading this, could you possibloy advise me of the cost of supplying me (ROI) of same by post - i would gladly even pick it up in Antrim if that helps.

I'll keep you posted as to developments.

"The girls won't stay lovely for ever you know....." - Father Ted.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Hi Guys,

well my blower motor is still working, but is VERY noisy and squeals something awful - the first one went the same way. Eventually the resistor bank burnt out also - perhpas due to heavy loa don the motor as it was seizing up. Eventually it only worked on fan setting #4.
Car was just under 2 years old at the time, so dealer replaced it under warranty, but advised me it would have been about € 300 if I had to buy it myself.
This one seems to be heading in the same direction - just 1 year later.
Dealer says they have replaced quite a few - a known problem on Toledo / Altea models according to him.

Dave (Sere), if you're reading this, could you possibloy advise me of the cost of supplying me (ROI) of same by post - i would gladly even pick it up in Antrim if that helps.

I'll keep you posted as to developments.

"The girls won't stay lovely for ever you know....." - Father Ted.

Didnt realise you were in RoI - SEAT UK wont apply, and you probably only had a 2 year warranty :( I need to know if you have standard a/c or full climate control. A vin would also help. Please put your query on my dealer page - I dont 'advertise' or give discounted prices outside of that section - forum rules!!!!

tcas146

I'm having issues with my blower at the moment.
Initial defect was aircon tripping out after 5secs of blower
starting, the fan speed dips and then the compressor cuts out.
Vagcom says blower volts implausable.

Fitted a new fan and it's been fine for 10 days now failing again!

Anyone know if there's a quality issue with the valeo blowers.

I'll try get a refund or replacemnent for the 10 day old blower £266 for the blower, bargain.

Anyone tried the valeo blowers from german and Swedish?

I,ve worked out the clima codes for compressor rpm, econ + uparrow
select 19.3 for comp rpm anyone know the code for demand and actual fan voltages?

Many thanks

Paul

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Update from me....

I found that by removing the motor (from its plastic cage) that you can oil the bearings/bushes that it spins on ...with liberal application of 3-in-1 oil. This fixed the squeak...I'm going to oil it every 6 months from now on, esp after the winter road salt.

The other issue I had with the motor slowing down and the air con refusing to chill the air was down to the system being overpressurised - it was recharged by a private firm and has been perfect ever since.

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
Update from me....

I found that by removing the motor (from its plastic cage) that you can oil the bearings/bushes that it spins on ...with liberal application of 3-in-1 oil. This fixed the squeak...I'm going to oil it every 6 months from now on, esp after the winter road salt.

The other issue I had with the motor slowing down and the air con refusing to chill the air was down to the system being overpressurised - it was recharged by a private firm and has been perfect ever since.

Can anyone tell me how I get access to the air con fan in my altea?

I have the full air con and would like to see if it would be posable to replace the fan my self.

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
The heater fan is inder the dash in the passenger side foot well, remove the three torx screws & the two other plastic knob/screw things (by hand) which hold on the cover (if your car has one), you'll have to be on your back, unplug the connector, then grab the fan & just turn the motor (cant remember which way!) - I'd never done it before and had it on the bench in 2 mins - its a piece of cake! I put the motor gently but tightly in the vice, sprayed some release oil into it & turned it a few times by hand then wired it up to a battery & sprayed lubricant into the bearings whist it was spinning, they were quite rusty..... When it was free I then sprayed some spray grease into the bearings. Beware, the motor takes a lot of current and the wires get hot! The fan is very powerful!! Only downside is the car now smells of the release oil/grease but works fine! Better than £300 tho. My car was left untouched for 6 weeks and in which time it ceased!

Last edited:

swanseastu

Ive got a very similar problem in so mych as my fan wont work on my 2006 Toldeo 140 sport with climate. all the flaps are moving etc when I put the climate on and putting a meter on the multi plug connector show voltage going up etc when the + button on the controls is pressed

Ive taken the fan out and its a Valeo with part number 1K2820015D

Ive also put my handheld diag machine (maxscan 405_ on it and that gives a readout 01273 Fresh air blower V2 Sporadic 014 - defective.

Is this likely to be the resitors or something inside the fan box as when I put 12v on the fan it spins up?

Any help appreciated as Im looking at £80 plus vat and delivery for a used one which is has an e or F at the end of the part number, no one has a D version.
thanks

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
If the resistor was at fault the heater motor would run at full speed all the time - the 'stepped' resistors apply resistance to the current flowing through the circuit which slows down the motor to a lower speed effectively. I had this problem at one stage also - when resistors break down, they leave the circuit fully open, not fully closed typically.

swanseastu

Thanks

We are just looking at the fan unit now

In theory if we get variable voltage at the 5 way connector end on the removable blower fan then it's all good

From there there is a circuit board with copper resister and 2 capacitors Nd various smaller components leading to a 2 pin output to the fan motor

12v on the fan motor spins it up - it's reasonably hard to turn by hand - is it breaked?

I'm guessing it's breaking down somewhere there

Pinkyjohnson

Had this problem too...

A visit to the dealers, 1 hour and £340 later all working again.

Will save myself a few quid and diy it myself next time.

Maybe a design flaw.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Mine started squeaking awfully during really cold weather but has since disappeared, just the odd squeak now and again when its cold in morning.
Works perfectly otherwise.

N2KHL

Jan 21, 2011
Leicester
I was wondering what this ticking noise was from my glove box area looks like i better get mine sorted soon!

N2KHL

Jan 21, 2011
Leicester
My car is in for its cambelt and the chap servicing it said the same. I have been told it needs a flap motor at about £110ish plus labour. Will see what price he comes back with. Nice wheels toxic...did you ever own a lexus just your user name looks familiar to one of the other lexus forums that I still go on. I think I might just get me the same wheels as you but what are they called ?

Nik

stoxy

passenger heater blower

i have a similar issue, drove 400 miles on monday not an issue, drove to work yesterday not an issue got in it today to pop to the shop, and soon as i turned heater on, there was a real bad noise coming from the passenger footwell. when turned heaters off was fine. when turned air con on got slightly worse.

any idea where i can find this blower to disconnect till i get my hands on a new one.