**HELP** Drilled & Grooved Discs Problem!!

The_Machine

Ive had alittle search around on here but no real luck in finding an answer to my worry.

Im worried about my brakes, I have drilled and grooved discs front and back. Standard pads on the front and yellowstuff pads on the back, When i brake i get a horride grinding noise and the brake pedal feels like the ABS is kicking in or the petal feels "hard". This happens for the 1st 10 mins or so when i drive the car from cold.
I took my car to Kwik Fit and they said its normal for drilled & grooved discs...
Im not so sure the noises coming from my brakes are "normal"
Could someone please shed some light on this???

Last edited by a moderator:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if wide groove disks then the noise could well be the grooves..
horrible pad choice by the way.. yellow on the rear???

anything down to metal?

The_Machine

The yellow pads were on it when i brought the car..
Ive only had it 2 weeks.
The guy at Kwik Fit checked the pads all round. Nothing worn..

Im really not convinced the noise is souly down to the grooves. It really makes an awful noise.. And it sounds like its coming from the brake pedal itself.

The_Machine

Yes they are grooved and dimpled..

But the noise really sounds like its coming from the pedal area not the wheels.. and sometimes the noise continues or just happens when im not even braking...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
eh?
noise from pedal when not even braking?

you got an abs sensor up the duff or something which is making the abs system come in and out?

The_Machine

When the noise kicks in the pedal does feel like the abs is kicking in. The pedal goes pretty firm to press.
It only seems to happen when ive slowed right down and comin to a stop. i.e traffic lights/junctions ect.

The_Machine

Right, ive been the garage there was a abs fault code, which the bloke said could of been an old one and not been deleted. He deleted it,road tested,checked for codes faults again. And nothing..
So hopefully it was just an old fault code which hadnt been deleted

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Your ABS sensors that measure the hub rotation are either duff or slightly too far away from the item they pick-up a signal from on the hub.

You're hitting the brakes and it's measuring one wheel rotating at a different speed to the other, so the ABS is coming on - and a wierd feel to the pedal is exactly what you would experience there as the pump does it's thing.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise