Help! EPC/acceleration issue! (VAG COM Manchester?)

ljb2013

Feb 25, 2013
Manchester
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can give me any ideas or advice please! Today the EPC light came on on my FR and not really sure where to go from here and also wondering if it's related to the power/acceleration issue below... :confused:

So, in hindsight this power/acceleration thing has been going on for a wee while but there were never any warning lights on before now, only today when the EPC came on. I'm mostly in 30 limits (4 miles per day) so there's not much hard accelaration going on for me to notice it regularly. We took it out on the motorway to give it a run incase it was maybe a battery issue, but it seems not. In terms of the power issue, under normal driving (i.e. not full throttle) it's ok, but as soon as you put your foot down full throttle (even in 5th at 60mph) it kind of surges then backs off a bit as if you've taken the foot off a bit, then surges a bit then backs off again (like jerky intermittent acceleration). Tried disconnecting the MAF to see if that was the issue, but the car drove exactly the same, only that the stability warning light came on. Connecting the MAF up again removed the stability warning light issue (maybe obviousl but thought I'd mention it anyway!).

Obv all the SEAT dealers are gonna be shut now till Tuesday which isn't very useful. Was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be? Or if there is someone about in the Manchester area (I'm Eccles/Salford) who has VAG COM reader who would be able to scan for faults?? It would be much appreciated if anyone could help!! :cry:

Cheers in advance!
Laura

ljb2013

Feb 25, 2013
Manchester
Helloooo cheers for the reply. Should have said, it's a 1.8 20vT petrol. Doesn't seem like limp mode though cause the car still has plenty of power and if you're not flooring it you don't notice it. Gave it a good blast on the motorway but no change.

Also not sure if that is even related to the light coming on today since it's been like that for a few months now probably, but like I say, not flooring it that often so not something I've seen every day.

Also, saw somewhere on here it could be related to the break lights but they are working fine.

Would be useful to get a code reader to see what that spits out...and to know whether the two are related.

ljb2013

Feb 25, 2013
Manchester
Riiiight...just back from getting the codes read. Could be the maf or brake switch apparently. So the maf I guess is pretty straightforward but no idea about the brake switch. Can anyone suggest where to look, what to look for, how to replace it and if it's an easy thing to do? I can copy and paste the codes details if that helps...

the brake switch sits just above the brake pedal and its very easy to remove it ll becomes very clear when you take a look at it hopefully its that as its a cheaper fix than the maf.
try removing the brake light switch and spray some silicone spray on the piston type bit as a temp solution.

ljb2013

Feb 25, 2013
Manchester
Sorted! Changed the brake light switch (2nd time lucky) and the maf. Epc light has gone off and it's running great again... no jerky acceleration! :) Hopefully this will be useful for someone else if they get the same issue :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.