HELP! Is the 1.4TSI engine fragile and unreliable?

vxh29

I am interested in a Skoda Fabia vRS, it uses the twincharged 1.4 litre TSI engine that is I believe also used in some variant of the Seat Ibiza Cupra. From Googling around I get the impression that this engine (certainly in the vRS) is prone to failure necessitating replacement. Is this also true of the Seat Ibiza Cupra variant or is it some characteristic of the Skoda Fabia vRS?

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
The answer to your question is both yes and no.

For example, I have a 61 Plate Cupra that is nearing 30k, has been remapped for the last 18-20k and once I got the spark plugs figured out the misfires have been more or less none existent. Oil usage is usually on average 2k per litre.

Plenty of others can't say the same as me. It's pretty much luck of the draw, thankfully for me my Cupra has been reliable.

vxh29

Thanks for the response Beazy, every little helps.

I had heard that there were issues with the spark plugs which seem to require frequent replacement. Can you elaborate on what exactly the "spark plugs" issue is and how easy is it to remove the spark plugs to check their state and replace them if appropriate? How accessible are they, do you need any special tool?

As I understand it, the other concern relates to excessive oil consumption - I gather that Skoda consider ½ litre per 1,000 miles to be acceptable. Do you check your oil level regularly with the didpstick or rely on gauges and/or warning lights?

Again, thanks for your reply.

Reactions: GreatApe
Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
mines done 3000 miles and already has 20.000 mles on the clock she runs a dream! awesome car
theres loads of people on here runs fine with maps etc on and clocked 50+ miles...

just some stories you hear but thats lke every car lol

dont be put off......

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the response Beazy, every little helps.

I had heard that there were issues with the spark plugs which seem to require frequent replacement. Can you elaborate on what exactly the "spark plugs" issue is and how easy is it to remove the spark plugs to check their state and replace them if appropriate? How accessible are they, do you need any special tool?

As I understand it, the other concern relates to excessive oil consumption - I gather that Skoda consider ½ litre per 1,000 miles to be acceptable. Do you check your oil level regularly with the didpstick or rely on gauges and/or warning lights?

Again, thanks for your reply.

The spark plug issues for me were finding the right plugs once I was remapped. The standard plugs would misfire around 5000rpm in 98 mode but were perfectly fine when standard. Everyone was recommending BKR 7EIX plugs when remapped but I went through 3 sets fouling each set within 3k miles, I tried different gap ranges but could never get the car to idle properly with them or sustain high rpm without misfiring. They were essentially too cold so I found ones on the 6 heat range (PZFR6R) that so far have been excellent. For a standard car the oem plugs should be fine.

Changing 3 of the plugs is easy, the 4th can be a pain. I use one of these to pull the coils: http://www.awesomegti.com/schwaben-1-4tsi-coilpack-removal-tool

This is the view with the engine cover off:

20130629_170119_zpscb4ece23.jpg

To access the other coil you need to remove the main breather pipe and also the intake pipe to the turbo.

You'll also need to pull VAC lines from the wastegate and turbo housing.

20121202_140055.jpg

20121202_140035.jpg

You also need to disconnect these two plugs and the breather pipe you see above the other coilpack:

20121202_140115.jpg

20121202_140752.jpg

After that you just use the tool to pull the coils out once you've taken the connector off them, once you've done it a few times the whole process of changing the plugs can be done in 10 - 15mins.

SEAT list it as a litre every 600miles as the acceptable limit if I remember right, some engines aren't too bad and some are horrible. It's really you're pot luck but the newer the reg the better! I don't check it regularly, I check it once every 1000 miles and top up if necessary as it has never varied wildly in the time I have it so I'm not so paranoid about it anymore.

There was issues with the earlier plated cars who got their plugs, coils and fuel pump I think changed to an updated unit however you don't hear of anymore issues like that now.

vxh29

Hi Beazy, very many thanks for an unbelievably detailed and helpful response :)

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Realistically these engines have been proven to fail in all variants (A1, Polo, Ibiza, Fabia). Have they failed so much they need a recall.......no.

The original CAVE engine seemed to be a lot weaker than the newer CTHE block that is now put into these cars. Problems have been misfires, oil usage, spark plugs etc etc, but do remember people will come on owners club websites to find answers. I know of a lot of these cars that have had no problems what so ever.

I ran mine just over 210bhp for most of the time I had her, I also ran her hard (multiple RWYB days at Pod). She did consume oil and in the end I had the bottom end of the engine replaced but I think this is more due to a design problem than the way she was driven.

I can't endorse this engine enough, the power it gave and the way it gave it was amazing. Telling people it was a 1.4 and seeing their faces was priceless, the cars at Pod is destroyed, I loved every second of owning it. I'm hoping one day (after I buy a house) I will be able to get another one, just for s***s and giggles.

There will always be problems with cars, it's the luck of the draw, but when you have that sort of power you won't regret it :D

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
The original CAVE engine seemed to be a lot weaker than the newer CTHE block that is now put into these cars. Problems have been misfires, oil usage, spark plugs etc etc, but do remember people will come on owners club websites to find answers. I know of a lot of these cars that have had no problems what so ever.

+1 to this.

I also had a Boc a few years ago and did just under 15000 miles in her without having any issues bar a little fuse.

I'd also happily own another one if they still made them! :)

vxh29

<snip>
The original CAVE engine seemed to be a lot weaker than the newer CTHE block that is now put into these cars.
<snip>
This would seem to suggest that the CTHE engine is somewhat akin to what with Microsoft would be termed the .1 or Service Pack 1 release, benefiting from real world testing. Do you have any idea what the differences are between the two engines?

<snip>
I ran mine just over 210bhp for most of the time I had her, I also ran her hard (multiple RWYB days at Pod). She did consume oil and in the end I had the bottom end of the engine replaced but I think this is more due to a design problem than the way she was driven.
<snip>
I don't think that it is possible to draw any meaningful conclusions in the case of an engine that has been remapped and which may receive more than the average regular TLC (and regular oil level checks). It is interesting however that you say you believe that it was a design problem that required the replacement of the bottom end.

Thanks for all the various comments, they are greatly appreciated :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members