Helping me understand NCB?

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
Hello, car insurance is due next month (06/12/2020)

When getting a quote I keep seeing this on the T&Cs on the NCB part which states :
  • It’s from a policy that expired in the last 24 months
I thought I had two No claims year (when my current policy finishes)

My First year April 2018 With admiral - April 2019 (Year one NCB) on my first car.
April 2019 with hasting (switch was cheaper)would have been my second year but bought my second car on December 2019
Hastings wouldn't insure my new car so had to switch again whilst losing my second no claims back to admiral, again the cheapest at the time starting 05/12/2019
now my admiral one is due to renew on the 06/12/2020 so I am now shopping around.

Will I have two years no claims when my current policy finishes or with my policy first policy finishing after it been over 24 months is it nill and void, I have never thought to ask with me not seeing this before, I just assumed for every full year of driving you get 1 year no claims but with no big break inbetween.

cheers.

andycupra

status subject to change
yes you should have two years. if it says otherwise question it.
In short, you had a policy april 18-19 - 1 year NCB earned.
then you had a policy with hasting for 7 months before switching back to admiral.
you have now been with admiral from december 2019 and so by dec 2020 you will have another full years worth of NCB and as you have had no claims between april 2018 and dec 2020 you will have a period of 2 years and 7 months, (31 months) of claim free motoring, which is not enough for 3 years, but is more than enough for 2 years NCB and as you have completed two sets of 12 month polices you will be able to state you have 2 years of NCB.
:)

the bit where it says from a policy that expired in the last 24 months, - this means you cant have a gap of more than 24 months where you have not been driving or don't have your own insurance. You need to be an 'active' driver. So if you earnt two years NCB, but then didn't drive for 24 months+ when you do get around to driving again you can't typically claim to have the full 2 years NCB as you are effectively now an increased risk due to being 'out of practice' ;) and the NCB would not be an accurate representation of your recent and current driving performance.
in your case you don't need to worry about this.

as said, in december you will have completed more than two years of motoring without claim, and having completed two sets of 12 months polices you will have 2 years of NCB. (1 year NCCD earned from first policy with Admiral, and then another NCD earned when you complete the second 12 month policy with admiral).

*all the above assumes you have had no claims since april 2018 :)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.