Hi guys, I own a 19 plate Leon FR sport 190 DSG. Lovey car! Well.....almost ha ha...

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
I've had a constantly annoying rattle / clicking sound coming from my electric pano sunroof. Almost sounds like a bolt and washer knocking against each other or against the chassis. Seems to come from passenger side half way along the sunroof. With roof fully open, there is some movement on the glass if you hold it on the corner as the very rear left of the glass roof, whereas the right hand side is solid... Is that normal? Been in to main dealer last week for it's first service and inspection in Gloucester. They asked me what I clean car with? - I said all sorts, sometimes fairly liquid, once I said, that the tech guy straight away said well, thats your problem - you have dried out your seals. But But But..... I bought this car at 11 months old and was already making this sound but couldn't take it back sooner as bought just before lockdown!
They didn't touch the sunroof, and no suggestions to what I should do to fix it. The guys response was search Google! ..Really??!!
Bought from main dealer and took back to main dealer and got as much help as I would from a small back street garage maybe.
I bought Autoglym vinyl and rubber care and applied to sunroof and door seals including the felt part on top of the door. Made no difference to sunroof. But since the heavy rain the other day, all my doors are creaking!!! - Any ideas for the doors?
The sunroof, as soon as I put it on tilt mode, the noise goes!! - So what can I do about the sunroof? Is it the seal that is on the roof that meets the edge of the glass that makes that clicking sound? - What do I use? Heard of Kryotox but very expensive and not sure this will cure this sound. I have tried anti vibration rubber strips all over the sunroof frame to no avail.
Really upset about this.... 17k car only just over a year old, and sadly not enjoying driving it, unless it's in sport mode with drowns the noise out!

iNowack

Feb 23, 2017
Belgrade
I've had a constantly annoying rattle / clicking sound coming from my electric pano sunroof. Almost sounds like a bolt and washer knocking against each other or against the chassis. Seems to come from passenger side half way along the sunroof. With roof fully open, there is some movement on the glass if you hold it on the corner as the very rear left of the glass roof, whereas the right hand side is solid... Is that normal? Been in to main dealer last week for it's first service and inspection in Gloucester. They asked me what I clean car with? - I said all sorts, sometimes fairly liquid, once I said, that the tech guy straight away said well, thats your problem - you have dried out your seals. But But But..... I bought this car at 11 months old and was already making this sound but couldn't take it back sooner as bought just before lockdown!
They didn't touch the sunroof, and no suggestions to what I should do to fix it. The guys response was search Google! ..Really??!!
Bought from main dealer and took back to main dealer and got as much help as I would from a small back street garage maybe.
I bought Autoglym vinyl and rubber care and applied to sunroof and door seals including the felt part on top of the door. Made no difference to sunroof. But since the heavy rain the other day, all my doors are creaking!!! - Any ideas for the doors?
The sunroof, as soon as I put it on tilt mode, the noise goes!! - So what can I do about the sunroof? Is it the seal that is on the roof that meets the edge of the glass that makes that clicking sound? - What do I use? Heard of Kryotox but very expensive and not sure this will cure this sound. I have tried anti vibration rubber strips all over the sunroof frame to no avail.
Really upset about this.... 17k car only just over a year old, and sadly not enjoying driving it, unless it's in sport mode with drowns the noise out!
I own Leon FR 16 plate and have couple of friends that have the same and all of us experience ratteling from sunroof when its opened. Chassis is great but definetly flexing of it on bumpy roads causes rattles in area of sunroof when it opened. On the other hand rattle that we have has more plasticy sound like other parts of the car and not like bolt touching anything

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Just spoke to service guy SEAT Swindon, and they never heard about a noisy sunroof on a leon before! Starting to wonder why i"m the 3rd owner of a car that was only 11 months old when i bought it...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The noises from the doors might be due to dry seals and the door/body flexing, there are a few sprays and greases out there to sort that out plus using them stops the doors freezing to the seals in winter, same grease can be used on the pano roof - VW Group have a section in the workshop manuals covering the maintenance of the tracks etc on these pano roofs and the bespoke tools that workshops use to carry out that maintenance. Though your roof does sound like something else is wrong. All you can do is try that next dealer and don't mention using Fairy Liquid!

Look for "gummi pflege" to use for lubricating all the seals on that car.

Reactions: Dkelly4

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Look for "gummi pflege" to use for lubricating all the seals on that car.
This stuff is really good for door seals - ask any E90/91 BMW owner! Sonax appear to do a version now at a good price which may be worth a try.
PS. Pleeeeeeeese don't wash your car with Fairly Liquid :eek::)

Reactions: Dkelly4

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Hi guys, I have re applied autoglym vinyl and rubber care to the felt part of the top of each door, and creaking gone! Sunroof, I hope the PDF opens, but if you look just under the glass, there is a plastic rail - this where my finger is, has quite a bit of movement and replicates the sound I hear in the car, and from inside, it's just where I think I'm hearing it from. Just above the passenger side rear interior light (Estate). The drivers side, that rail has no movement unless you push it up very hard. The dealer told me, can't be that, as once roof is closed, this part can't move. I'm not convinced. I feel that plastic / metal rail is faulty.

Attachments

• Pic.pdf
    523.9 KB · Views: 196

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Also on another note, my car is the 2.0 TSI petrol. Am I correct in saying, it does a 'RE - GEN' like diesels do?? Sometimes I arrive home the engine fan is on even when i switch off. I'm used to that with diesels, but petrol? - Also drove home last night mainly motorway in eco mode (was tired) haha

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Also on another note, my car is the 2.0 TSI petrol. Am I correct in saying, it does a 'RE - GEN' like diesels do?? Sometimes I arrive home the engine fan is on even when i switch off. I'm used to that with diesels, but petrol? - Also drove home last night mainly motorway in eco mode (was tired) haha
I've got a non-Seat, but GPF fitted car, and it doesn't re-gen with the fans on after parking up as you mentioned ever...

3D_Rob

Dec 20, 2019
Hampshire
I have the same car/engine (sans sunroof), mine also runs the fan for a while after turning the engine off. I assumed it's just to reduce heat soak in the turbo, or basically just keep the oil and coolant circulating and help the hot bits cool down. DPF regens occur during normal driving, rather than after shutting the engine off.

It's a good engine though, plenty of power when you need it, really good on petrol on a long run (I got 49 mpg on a recent trip) and it has port injection so shouldn't suffer from carbon buildup like some of the other variants.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I use a grease called ‘shin etsu’ on my Honda’s soft top seals although others use anything that is recommended for use by divers on rubber components, I would try another Seat dealer regards the pan roof, doesn’t sound right to me, maybe contact customer services too.

Fairy liquid! FFS NO.

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
Just spoke to service guy SEAT Swindon, and they never heard about a noisy sunroof on a leon before! Starting to wonder why i"m the 3rd owner of a car that was only 11 months old when i bought it...

i take it you took it to Heritage Gloucester?

I have always found the sales team to be spot on, but they are let down by the service side of things, not as good as when it was blade Seat.

I should know I have a kangarooing leon so I have had a fair few conversations with the service team and managers. And I was told that during lockdown they laid off all of their technicians and sent all of there service/ repairs to the heritage Skoda garage, so you may when have a very experienced Skoda tech guy looking at a seat, although they share a vast number of parts in terms of engines, gearboxes etc... that doesn’t mean he knows all the quirks of a Seat, and therefore maybe giving you the fob off,
Maybe try Listers Worcester for a second opinion - if you can prove its manufacturing defect they can sort it on manufacture warranty or at very least get a written defect report you can take back to Heritage and argue. Or even Heritage in Bristol.

With regards the doors creaking this is normal and I’ve had this on my last 2 Leon’s and just use the autoglym as you have.
As said Leon’s do flex quite a bit, preface lift models were prone to cracking rear clusters!

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
i take it you took it to Heritage Gloucester?

I have always found the sales team to be spot on, but they are let down by the service side of things, not as good as when it was blade Seat.

I should know I have a kangarooing leon so I have had a fair few conversations with the service team and managers. And I was told that during lockdown they laid off all of their technicians and sent all of there service/ repairs to the heritage Skoda garage, so you may when have a very experienced Skoda tech guy looking at a seat, although they share a vast number of parts in terms of engines, gearboxes etc... that doesn’t mean he knows all the quirks of a Seat, and therefore maybe giving you the fob off,
Maybe try Listers Worcester for a second opinion - if you can prove its manufacturing defect they can sort it on manufacture warranty or at very least get a written defect report you can take back to Heritage and argue. Or even Heritage in Bristol.

With regards the doors creaking this is normal and I’ve had this on my last 2 Leon’s and just use the autoglym as you have.
As said Leon’s do flex quite a bit, preface lift models were prone to cracking rear clusters!

Yea, took it to Glos Skoda, as seat aint open at the moment. Going back their next week and not taking a no this time! - Did speak to service manager and he said they got some silicon to try, so why didn't the tech guy offer that. But I think it's not the rubber seals, it's the rail that attaches underneath the glass that is loose

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
The glass panel is held in with 4 torx bolts one of these is exactly by your finger, is this tight?
They can be accessed from in the car, think they are a T27 size.
Hope this helps.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I use a grease called ‘shin etsu’ on my Honda’s soft top seals although others use anything that is recommended for use by divers on rubber components, I would try another Seat dealer regards the pan roof, doesn’t sound right to me, maybe contact customer services too.

Fairy liquid! FFS NO.
Got to have a wee giggle at the grease you use as it's the same name of my previous workplace for many years through my way! Shin-Etsu Handotai!

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I had the panoramic sunroof rattle it was really noticeable over bumps with the roof shut. The rattle was coming from the passenger side (rhd). I cleaned the edge of the glass and frame where they meet and applied a smear of Dow DC4 silicone grease. No more rattling !

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
I had the panoramic sunroof rattle it was really noticeable over bumps with the roof shut. The rattle was coming from the passenger side (rhd). I cleaned the edge of the glass and frame where they meet and applied a smear of Dow DC4 silicone grease. No more rattling !

Interesting.... lot cheaper than Krytox which is just silly money. I had applied autoglym vinly and rubber to the bit you mentioned, but to no avail, but then that is just a liquid, so assuming its really only any good on rubber seals. Did you look at the PDF I posted on here? That plastic/metal guide/rail that is attached directly to the glass itself, the left side has movement in it, whereas the right hand side don't. So you sure it can't be that? I will go and order this DC4, and see where we go, i'm sure it will have other uses aswell

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
The glass panel is held in with 4 torx bolts one of these is exactly by your finger, is this tight?
They can be accessed from in the car, think they are a T27 size.
Hope this helps.

I will check, but I'm sure I have already tried this idea. That plastic/ metal guide that sits right under the glass, has movement in it, and when you move it, it makes the same sound I'm hearing inside, hence when its on tilt, the noise stops.

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020

Just ordered it. fingers crossed!! Apart from the annoying rattle, I really like the car. Feels as quick as my Fiesta ST (1.6 Turbo) I used to own but feel safer in the leon!