HID Help

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
Hi, I need some advice on what HID's to buy and where from, any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Generally most people will buy a kit of e-bay. Also it's really only worth replacing the dipped beam H7 lights and not the main beam. After fitting you might want to get some better matching sidelights though. Then there's the different tints in terms of bluishness to whiteness, most recommend 6K as the best option for a slight blue tint but producing good light. Thats what I have and they are great, a huge improvement over things like nightbreakers etc. If you want less blue go for a lower 'K' value, more blue pick a higher 'K' value, but you may run into problems if you go too high.

There are also various power outputs like 30w or 55w, small ballasts are the norm now although I have the larger ballasts they have never given me any probs, just a bit harder to hide. Almost all these kits are made in China so don't be fooled by expensive claims of quality. Most kits can be picked up for around £40-£50, fitting is easy and plenty of guides to help.

The legality of after-market kits are a great point of debate, but most people run fine with them and seem to get through MOT's OK. Just make sure you get a garage to level them after fitting to be sure you aren't blinding other folks.

I don't know what model of car you have mate so just check you are on the H7's before you make any purchase ;)

Hope this helps.

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
thanks, yeah it's a mk 2, i was looking at e-bay but i'm a little weary about buting anything electrical off of there, i wouldn't mind paying a little more for the peace of mind, i'll ring around a few websites. When it come to the Kelvin rating, i was looking at the 8-10000k bulbs, i don't want anything too blue but also don't want to be stopped every five minutes with the book being preached to me, i just don't want them to look as cheap as i've seen some, i do have the quad LED 501's in there as well witch do look nice, cheers.

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
8-10000K is very blue, which in my opinion look the cheapest/tackiest

hid-temp-guide.jpg

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Here's a better comparison pic.

hid-compare.jpg

As you can see, 10k lights mean you have a small willy. :D I also removed my 6k ones and replaced them with 4.3k ones. I have 5k in the van.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
I was umming and ahhing between 4.3k and 5k, is there a noticeable difference?

Not a great difference really, although it's hard to compare as the car is H7 and the van is H4 with anti scatter bulbs.

Personally, I'd buy from HIDs4u (use a widely available discount code) and get H7R kit at 5k.

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
nice one, where do i find this highly mysterious discount code? I htink i'll go for the 4500-5k ones now, was contemplating the 6000k but i don't want to look like i own a 206 gti so low that you can't slip a rizla under it, will i need the h7r even though i have the deflectors on my current bulbs? Cheers.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
nice one, where do i find this highly mysterious discount code? I htink i'll go for the 4500-5k ones now, was contemplating the 6000k but i don't want to look like i own a 206 gti so low that you can't slip a rizla under it, will i need the h7r even though i have the deflectors on my current bulbs? Cheers.

The reflectors do make a big difference. At least on my H4 kit they do. The H7 kit I have on the car doesn't have them and the light scatter is not good really. Remember, the lights are designed to take a standard bulb, not an hid one, and the characteristics are different. I don't know what you need to do to make them fit, but there'll be instructions with them. And Toyota Pro is the discount.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.