Hids- Fitting.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
:-o

I bought some new side lights. Abit pricey at £5.99 each but i reckon well worth it. Have a look on the other thread as Travis posted a link to the site.

Had to take the headlight out as the side light bulb fell into the headlight :doh:

Yeh i should have taken the before and after pics but you can see the blatent difference once fitted. I put the high beam on and it looked crap compared to the HID's.

Also can you post some pics of where you mount the ballasts please. Iv done mine but not sure they are in the best place.

Alright I will. Im still deciding where to fit my ballasts tbh. Ive been thinking of doing them one night but id rather do them when I have a whole day so i can tidy the wiring up etc.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
I've just got the same kit as you (h1) the two wires - did you just connect them upto the original wires to the old bulbs? Did you have to put in a relay like the pic says? I'm well confused! Please help!

The connector unit thing (yellow wire) that you unplug the original bulb from is the live wire. So you can just plug the red wire (from the ballast) into there. Straigh fit. The black wire (from the ballast)is the earth. You can either take unclip the brown wire (inside the headlight) or what i did, splice the brown and connect the black to it. Only reason i did this is that the brown wire in the headlightis abit hard to reach.

Haven't fitted a relay, and don't seem to have any problems with clocks and dials. I did notice that there is the tiniest amount of flicker but you do have to concentrate to see it.

Hope that makes sense. If you want i can try a nd get pics tomorrow.

Also, not sure it makes any difference, but before fitting , i angeled the headlights as low as possible as i wont be able to get them aligned till the weekend.

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Had a closer look at my headlights tonight when it was dry and I have a problem. I need the bit that the standard halogen bulb plugs into out from behind the headlight cover, anyone suggest how I can do this??

I was thinking of cutting a small section out the back of the cover near the bottom so the wires will come through as they are all cable tied together.

:help:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
You are supposed to cut a hole in the headlight rear cover. 25mm. So that the HID bulb wiring can come out to the ballasts. The OE connector block stays inside the unit.
The HID cabling should have rubber grommet that sits pefectly in the 25mm hole.

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
You are supposed to cut a hole in the headlight rear cover. 25mm. So that the HID bulb wiring can come out to the ballasts. The OE connector block stays inside the unit.
The HID cabling should have rubber grommet that sits pefectly in the 25mm hole.

Yes I know that but as I have a H4 kit I need the block connector out because it has the wiring for the switch relay, and the connector on the HID kit is on the engine side of the rubber grommet.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Got My Hids Fitted today.

Before:
BeforeHidsDull.jpg

BeforeHidsdark.jpg

After:
Hidslowbeam.jpg

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
But I have a problem, the pic about was with the hids on dipped (low Beam). As I have the H4 bulb it has 2 bulbs, a big long one and one similar to the sidelight bulb, so I thought it would be for main (high beam), but this is what high beam is like:

HidsHighBeam.jpg

Any suggestions??

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
They look good mate. I can't really tell whats wrong with high beam pic except that it looks abit yellow?

Theres nothing wrong with the high beam, its meant to be like that. I popped the bulb out and put the lights on. The long, thin bulb in the middle is for low beam and gives the white/blueish tint. The small bulb on the side is for the high beam and only comes on when you flick up, as I did it to check.

I have 2 bulbs as I have the H4 kit. And I also think the high beam will be brighter than you would get with normal halogen bulbs.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Hi Krishen

where did you attached the earth wire as mine has a spade connector (shared between 2 brown wires) so would the HID earth connect to this? What do you do with the 2 earth wires that are then left loose?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise