High mileage 1.2 TSI's?

Feb 8, 2011
Would you believe 16,000 since March 2011?
It's why I've decided not to worry about timing chains. The trouble is that although there are certainly reports of worn timing chains it's hard to get a handle on just how serious the problem is since we don't hear about the cars with no trouble at all and can't compare.

BTW I think all Ibizas with this engine are 105 PS. There are VW, Audi and Skoda with 85 or 90 PS though. My guess is that it's just turbo boost and ECU that's different.

Last edited:

loonymoon

Possibly.

I feel a bit sad that mine is quite high mileage... but I wonder how high it'd comfortably go. There must be some on here with more miles as 60,000 is only 15k a year. I can't beleive you've only done 16,000 in four years lol but I do commute to work everyday 35-40 mile round trip.

torrestech

Dec 13, 2015
Hi Loonymoon have got a 2011 model ibiza 1.2 tsi with 65,000 on the clock this has come up with EPC error codes P344
P334B P334C all refer to turbo or turbo actuator fail have changed the actuator cleared errors but the EPC is pinging again so its back to the garage for more diagnosis please let me know if you come across any fix

Thanks Dominic

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
I have a 2011 Leon 1.2 tsi 105 bhp version. It's just ticked over 23,000 miles and is been having the starting rattle for about 3,000 miles. Finally booked it in a dealer to look. They found the chain has stretched and needs all replacing. They are keeping it in to see if their is engine damage. All under the manufacturer approved warranty thing so the bulk should be covered. I just have diagnostics and curtesy car fees to pay as its a different dealer to the one I purchased from. Wasn't driving 70 miles back to the original dealer! Will find out tomorrow what and if any damage internally is done. One indication I would mention is that fuel consumption had dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yorkie911

York
May 22, 2014
Surrey
torrestech, please have a read through this post as it will be beneficial for your error code problem:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=426410

What I'm about to say is based on my own research so it is by no means accurate so please don't take it as gospel. Unfortunately the P334b code normally means a mechanical failure has been detected and from others on this forum, have lead to their turbo's being replaced. The P334a code normally means an electronic failure has been detected and this can be solved by turning the car off and on again.

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Engine got the all clear!
I'm also having a turbo replacement now apparently. Waiting for the warranty company as seat keep chasing them. What ever the warranty company won't pay seat uk have agreed to pay. Result! Caffyns tunbridge wells and seat uk have done me proud so far. Only problem is it's been a week tomorrow and I'm getting fed up with this Monte Carlo citi go lol

On another note, I assume the new chain will be a revised/upgraded chain and the new turbo will be any latest revision. Will I be as good as having a 2012 engine now or will these problems come back in another 20k I wonder?!
I looked on autotrader over the last couple of weeks and their are a few 1.2 tsi's that have broken the 100k mile barrier. Mainly skodas being the yeti and Octavia. I just wonder how many chains and turbos they went through. Great engine though even if it has started off its early years problematic.

loonymoon

Glad yours got sorted Rob. Mine never had a problem (so far touch wood) with timing chain but I'm unsure if it was replaced the time I had the turbo failure when it was nearly new.... they could have replaced it on the sly without telling me.

64,000 miles on mine, Surely there must be one out there with higher miles? I'm at the point now when I'm wondering if I should cut and run (get a new car) or stick with it for a couple more years. My last two cars (ibiza 1.4, and fiesta 1.4) I had until about 90k before I sold them so if this ibiza is similar I should get at least a couple more years.. but as it's a newer type engine I'm unsure how well they last (same with any of the lower capacity turbo petrol engines - how does the 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost last I wonder?

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Highest mileage at the moment is a skoda Octavia. It's got the same chain cam engine being a 2011. It's the 85ps version with 108,000 miles so I think your safe lol
I see a yeti on auto trader a month or two ago with 122,000 miles. These are heavier cars so I think your Ibiza is fine for a good while yet

loonymoon

Highest mileage at the moment is a skoda Octavia. It's got the same chain cam engine being a 2011. It's the 85ps version with 108,000 miles so I think your safe lol
I see a yeti on auto trader a month or two ago with 122,000 miles. These are heavier cars so I think your Ibiza is fine for a good while yet

That is good to know my ibiza is still a baby then :)

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
My Leon isn't at even 24k yet so I'm hoping after my troubles she's set to go for 50k with no issues. Do love the 2.0 tdi engine in the fr though

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Highest 1.2 tsi engines I can see right now;

2011/61 85ps skoda Octavia with 141,000 on the clock

2011/61 105ps Skoda yeti DSG advertised with 121,000

Both advertised with FSH.
These are the highest mileage 1.2 tsi cars I have seen advertised on auto trader to date. Challenge someone to find a higher one lol

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Good to hear these engines can eat the miles, as we've just agreed on a 50K, 2011 plate. It's going to have a slightly easier life now, as the missus doesn't do too many miles, but it's predecessor (Mk2 Ibiza) has done over 130K miles. - I like to get my money's worth :)

Bit nervous about these turbo issues though - when does the warranty run out?

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Did you buy it from a seat dealer and was it a Ibiza or Leon? If bought from a dealer and its manufacturer approved you get 1 year breakdown and 1 year warranty

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Ah yeah you haven't got one. Best to take one out with a warranty company that's trusted. Although normally not worth the paper and better putting money aside every month