High mileage LCRs

Law.

Oct 23, 2011
Southampton, UK
Evening all,

Looking at buying a Leon Cupra R as soon as possible, and just wanted to check whether there were any issues with the 1.8t 210 engine at high mileage (120k miles).

Car I've seen has just had a new turbo done by Seat and new discs/pads, is there many other problems a high mileage engine would give me?

The car I'm interested in is an 02 plate, in black with 120k miles and is up for £3k. Seems reasonably priced - I have a higher budget than that though, so am I better off spending a bit more and getting a newer/lower mileage one, or does that look like a good way of saving a bit of cash (I'm a student!)?

Cheers

Nov 29, 2009
Brighouse, W.Yorks
TBH i would be spending a little more, you have to take into consideration all the other bits on the car thats done 120k ie. suspension bushes, shocks etc.

but if its been kept fresh through its life i cant see there been a problem

Ben

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
mine's got 123K on and came with loads of history and a folder of reciepts and all is good.
even the newest ones are getting on for 7 years old now so as long as everything is in good shape don't be put off by the mileage

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
As said check the usual, main things are the cam belt and water pump, mine is still one the OE clutch and flywheel and is on 128k and still going strong but worth checking to see if its been done.

Law.

Oct 23, 2011
Southampton, UK
Cool. Thanks for the information.

Still feel nervous about considering a 120k mile car!

Does £3000 seem like a fair price if all is kosher? Might even be able to get it down a little bit.

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
With history that's fine milage the 1.8T blocks can last ages is looked after. Prawn has an a3 1.8t with over 200k on

adzer

Dec 16, 2009
3k for a 2002 leon??? i think thats expensive

i paid 2700 for a minted 2004 lcr with full service history

Law.

Oct 23, 2011
Southampton, UK
When was that?! There isn't a single LCR on Autotrader for under £3k and only 2 on Pistonheads... 2004 LCR with 74k miles for £5k!

Last edited:

Dan29

My 54 LCR has just passed 152k...maintained regardless and FSH, absolutely spot on.

As Dannyh said, the 1.8T block will run & run.

Putrid

don't be put off by high miles plenty of audi s3 and 1.8t on auction sites with 200k on the clock and above, i'd be more worried about the previous owners and service history.

having saying that I bought a mint lc in platinum grey 04 with no service history 80k on the clock for 2.5k luckily i have a mate who is a mechanic and did cheap as chips service, cam belt and waterpump. so the car stands me at around 3k for a perfect un modded and un abused lc

even though my car had no service history it was clear it had been serviced at some stage as the oil was around 10k old according to my mechanic and the front brakes, air filter, both wishbones and coil packs had been changed recently.

It's luck of the draw when buying a car it can have folders full of service history and be owned by a granny and you could have loads of problems with it or you can buy a car with no service history 4 owners for a lower price do a full service yourself so you have practically a new car. that runs sweet with no problems.

most lcr's have been punished and the fact that it has had a new turbo could indicated it has been driven hard or been revved highly when cold. best thing to do when looking for a car is not to rush in have a look at a few and eventually you will find your perfect car. I'd avoid modded cars too as clearly they have been punished if the owner thinks 220bhp is not enough.

as i said before it's luck of the draw when buying 8-9year old high performance cars

Last edited by a moderator:

adzer

Dec 16, 2009
i only bought mine 3 months ago.

there is plenty lcr going for around 3k mark and around the 2004 age................

keep looking but you must be willing to travel for it.

i stay at top of scotland and had to travel as far as birmingham to look at one.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
My car has 105k on the clock and runs perfectly. Never misses a beat. Mine is fully modded but i dont punish it as i want to keep it in good health. My car gets really well looked after. Just because its modded doesnt mean its been hammered. I bought it at 78k on the clock, one lady owner and totally standard 3 years ago.
Please dont be put off by higher miles, as said above i have seen s3 with 200k
If you are looking to buy, get yourself a fault code reader from ebay for £20 and check the cars you look at.

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
My LCR is an 05 and at 119k miles. Clutch and flywheel were replaced at around 110k and the gearbox has the typical faint whine on overrun in 2nd and 3rd - apart from this (and resolving the typical water leaks) the major mechanicals have been fine.

Niggles at the moment are the gearbox whine, slightly leaky door seals and the anti roll bar bushes creak front and rear when going over speedbumps, but only when cold (sounds like a 30 year old wardrobe). The car feels almost as fresh as it did at 75k miles and drives remarkably well, hot or cold, fast traffic or slow. The gearbox is very precise and although replacement rear springs last year did make it feel a bit more pointy, the improvement was certainly less than when I replaced all four tyres.

Great car, good price (at £3k), will see at least 200k before I can bear to get rid, I'm sure :)

Alex

s2celly

Mar 15, 2009
slough
Mines modded and i dont kane it, my work mate who i bought it off, which got all the work done was in his 50's, all he went on about was he could get 30 odd miles to the gallon!! older owners like me look after there cars!!
mines for sale have a look in the seats for sale section

s1mon

May 10, 2011
kent
my mk4 golf 1.8t had 140,000 never had a problem with it,i only sold it because i had a chance to get another cupra r.as long as it's got good history and been looked after cant see a problem buying a car with high miles..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.