Holy Grail of Tyres

Velkro

Sep 8, 2009
Kilmarnock, Scotland
Hey peeps I currently run a MkII Leon FR+ SuperCopa stock on 18" wheels.
I as many before me am on a quest to find the holy grail of tyres good level of grip in the wet and dry not too noisy wears well through hard cornering and general wear and comfort and does not cost an arm and a leg or a kidney.

Have run Bridgestone re050 for a while and while these have been pretty good they lose some qualities fairly quick. First they get rather noisy then the grip goes with 4mm or so left and feel the need to change.

I then have the dilemma of sticking with what came on the car from new and better the devil you know or change to something else.

There are countless reviews out there and peeps saying one tyre is better than the other but many are only for the first few hundred or thousand miles and not over the life of the tyre. It seems a very subjective subject but I do value others opinions and often check reviews of others when making purchases.

It can be a little daunting trying to decide which pit to throw your hard earned cash down.

Currently I am considering a change and am gravitating toward ps4 and asymmetric 3 but may just end up with old faithful.

apologies for the rambling just looking for some thoughts on this from others.

in a bit

Velkro

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I've found vredestein ultrac sessanta to be a fairly good and balanced all round daily tyre with regards to durability, grip (wet and dry), noise and most importantly price.

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
Just my 2p from when i had 07 TDi FR with 17" alloys.

Had Hankooks Ventus V12 Evo2, great grip wet or dry and low noise. However was made from chocolate and after 7k the fronts where shot.

Falken ZE914. Same as the Hankooks but lasted nearly twice as long.

Also tried both the AS2 and AS3's. While more expensive than both the Hankook and Falken had the same levels of wet and dry grip if not a bit more but lasted a bit longer.

Hankooks lasted on the front till around 7k, Falkens 13-14k and Goodyears around 15k.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I've found vredestein ultrac sessanta to be a fairly good and balanced all round daily tyre with regards to durability, grip (wet and dry), noise and most importantly price.

I really rate these. However I didn't buy them at replacement time though as the edges were all cracked compared to other brands I have used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
Goodyear eagle for me all day long. Tried more tyres than I'd like to recall and the good years are the best all rounders

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

Had a set on my Cupra. Great tyre.
Way over priced.
I just bought some Yokohama Flevas.
Paid 110 each on 18"s
Camskills can get them direct from mainland Europe. Not here for another month or so I believe.
67db. A rated for wet.
I'm really pleased. Wet grip is very good. I had budgets on when I bought the car. They had loads of tread left but the difference with the yokos is amazing.
Highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iNeoTom

Mar 21, 2017
I have to say the Pirelli Cinturato P7's that i have run on my cars for the last 7 years or so.

About a month ago i replaced all 4 of the tyres on my Leon (As they where all different thanks previous owner) with these as they offer great wet and dry grip they also have lowish road noise which is a bonus in my eyes anyway great daily driver tyres that you can also have abit of a quick run down the country roads on and feel like they are not going to let go.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Those RE050's were designed over 10 years ago, they do last a long time but the noise as they wear can become a nightmare. Bridge. claim their tyre's cost the least per mile.

The PS4 & Asy3 both designed last year, so they will provide more grip but doubt the asy will cover the same millage as either the Bridge. or PS4.

As a tyre wears it actually provides more grip due to less tread block movement however, with less tread your more likely to aquaplane in standing water if traveling to quick for the tires to dissipate the water in time.

As for which to purchase, all depends on driving style and preference, if not pushing tyres to there limits I doubt any difference would be noticed between any of the above or others really, question is do you require more grip than the RE050 provides, if so the PS4 will provide this with similar millage but Mich. have a trait to just let go in the wet without warning whereas the Asy3 is a more progressive tyre providing more feedback, perhaps less dry grip but I suspect won't last as long. If your happy with the RE050 grip levels I wouldn't overlook Dunnys RT or Contis 6 and buy on price.

Time to flick a coin..

dMack14

Nov 26, 2016
West Lothian, Scotland
I've got GY AS2's on my FR550, get the usual resistance if you put the boot down, but generally good grip, sticks like it's on rails in the dry. Wet is fine unless it's the first rain after a long dry spell.

Stubaru

Apr 7, 2014
Buy this months EVO Magazine and there's a 2017 tyre review in there.

I've personally ran Goodyear Eagle F1's for years without issue, but the change in the Asymmetric 3's design, virtually eradicating the rim protector meant I wanted a change. Adding fuel to the fire was their poor performance in the above review so I'm picking up a pair of the new Pirelli P Zero PZ4's next week. They came second overall in the review with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's taking the win, but the Pirelli's did the fastest dry lap and fastest wet lap, so they're the tyre for me.

Stubaru

Apr 7, 2014
This link has a lot of other tyre reviews by various magazines etc. too...

tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-EVO-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Used Pzeros since I've had my cupra brilliant tyre on my third set on the front in 13 months as of last week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
3rd set in 13 months? Can't be that good if they wear that quick
You don't know how I drive

Cupra 290 13 months old
375bhp revo from 800miles
13k miles
Full set of Brembos brake pads replaced
2 health checks
2 dynos
2x ceramic detailing
Hits 155mph+ daily or weekly top speed out of it 180mph
Had to top up the oil be for service
Tracked Oulton Park

Had 2 drive shafts replaced first person in the UK to have both done on a MK3 cupra. 1 leaked and had the other replaced as they didn't know if it would solve the problem without both being being done

That limited slip diff sent all the 375 to one wheel and the tyre didn't budge nor car over steer the drive shaft went instead at a very high speed around a bend

The

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
3 sets on the front.

You beat that impressive

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
3 sets on the front.

You beat that impressive

If the cars going on track with them on, I'm not really surprised tbh.
Sounds like it's being used to its full potential which is why they build them like that in the first place. Good to hear.
Rag it like you stole it.

Slappi

Jul 31, 2014
I've just fitted some Goodyear Efficientgrip performance on mine mate and they're excellent. My mate was suprised how well it gripped (stage 2+ cupra) but that was in the dry to be fair.

Not had chance to test them in rain yet properly but they are rated as A for wet grip and b for fuel economy with a 68db sound rating I think.

Had Goodyear Eagle's in the past and they were excellent too.

andymc

Mar 20, 2017
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is my latest, been using them for ~1.5 years on both 17s and 18s. I used to use only Goodyear F1 Assymetric but the Pilot sport 4s are now my favourite so much as they just hold on so well even
In the wet. On the other hand though when you find the limit they don’t let go as progressively as others do.

Meant to say also, they wear really flat also and have had about 5k out of mines so far and still holding well given they are down quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members