How close to the legal limit do you let yours tyres go?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Does anyone bother rotating their tyres? Obviously the fronts are wearing faster than the rears, so I was thinking of swapping them around. Also means I replace all 4 at once which id prefer.

Not exactly. As you say, fronts wear first. I don't want the tyre fitters catching my Aston Martin callipers. So I always put the rears on the front when the front get to 3mm. Then have the new tyres on the rear.

Reactions: Damo H

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Never get to the limit, I replace them when I feel they've lost traction mostly due to aging. Also when they start to show hairline cracks, usually every ~2 years.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Got my assy 5's on this morning ad initial thoughts are fine. Road noise is no worse and can't feel any difference in comfort either. Traction when pulling away does feel more positive but I am yet to really give it any real beans as I now have another 490 miles to bed them in before I start putting them through their paces. Initially I was a bit worried as the steering felt lighter and that doesn't usually bode well for me but then realised they were over inflated. They were up at 34 psi which isn't much over as they should be 32. I lowered them to 31.5 thinking it should 31 before checking. After that I noticed an immediate difference to the steering feel and it was back to where it was on the bridgestone or very close to it. To be fair even over inflated they were pulling away more positively despite near monsoon conditions for us southerners

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Got my assy 5's on this morning ad initial thoughts are fine. Road noise is no worse and can't feel any difference in comfort either. Traction when pulling away does feel more positive but I am yet to really give it any real beans as I now have another 490 miles to bed them in before I start putting them through their paces. Initially I was a bit worried as the steering felt lighter and that doesn't usually bode well for me but then realised they were over inflated. They were up at 34 psi which isn't much over as they should be 32. I lowered them to 31.5 thinking it should 31 before checking. After that I noticed an immediate difference to the steering feel and it was back to where it was on the bridgestone or very close to it. To be fair even over inflated they were pulling away more positively despite near monsoon conditions for us southerners
Thats good. I need to hear of experiences on a Cupra though, which is a very different animal. Off the line traction being the real issue.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Does anyone bother rotating their tyres? Obviously the fronts are wearing faster than the rears, so I was thinking of swapping them around. Also means I replace all 4 at once which id prefer.

I used to rotate them on my old Mk1 Leon. It was serviced every 10,000 miles which was usually every 6 months, so got them changed over each service. Certainly seemed to help balance the tyre wear.

As a FWD TDI, I always wanted best grip on the front tyres but was always told that the grip should be on the rear.

Either way, I'd rotate new to front and old(er) to rear. Then, when due, replace the rears and get the new rubber put on the front.

With my newer Leon Mk3, I'm slightly out of sync. I bought it 2 years ago with some part worn Conti 5's on the back and the dealer fitted some £35 cheap concrete tyres on the front (with hindsight, they really weren't right for the car). Used them for a year and replaced with something like Dunlop Blue Response - they were on offer but didn't inspire confidence. The front end was just a bit loose. I then got some Rainsport 3's and moved the Dunlop to the rear. So much better. The squarer profile of the RS3's on the front was much better and the rear seemed happy with the Dunlops. Been like that for just over 12 months.

So - I don't want to rotate the tyres as I don't want the Dunlops on the front. Both F&R are around 3-4mm, so I might bite the bullet and replace all of them at the same time for RS5's. I can then rotate them if needed in the future.

Never have I paid so much attention to tyre choice!

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Just had 2 new RS5s fitted to my wife's car which has RS3s on the rear. If you have RS3s on your car and are changing only 2 of them to RS5s please note that the later tyre has a completely different (still asymmetric) tread pattern.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Just had 2 new RS5s fitted to my wife's car which has RS3s on the rear. If you have RS3s on your car and are changing only 2 of them to RS5s please note that the later tyre has a completely different (still asymmetric) tread pattern.
Be interested to know how the RS5’s fare as I’m eying these up for when I need some new boots having been mightily impressed with the RS3’s.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Be interested to know how the RS5’s fare as I’m eying these up for when I need some new boots having been mightily impressed with the RS3’s.

I'm also curious. I've currently got 2 new PS4s and 2 on the way out RS3s. So I'll be fully PS4S by summer. But the RS5s are much more affordable. Although, the big selling point of RS3s was supposed to be the aquaplaning technology. Having run 3 full sets of them now and hit water on the motorway, my pants would disagree.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
The experience with the RS5s on my wife's car will not be of much relevance to the car owner's on here. She drives a 2010 Renault Clio 1.2TCE (100) and only covers 3,500 miles/year. My post was really just to warn anyone with RS3s on their car and changing less than all of them that the latest RS5s have a different tread pattern.

Reactions: GeoffGeoff
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise