How hard is it to fit springs?

Sep 4, 2009
I have a MK1 leon 1.6 16v looking at lowering it slightly. Is it hard to change the springs? Took a wheel off today and had a look. Didnt look to bad to take the unit out. I know i will have to take it to get aligned when ive done it tho.

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
If your brave enough you can 'cowboy' it without a spring compressor. The hardest part is removing the bottom end of the strut. There usually stuck in there good and proper. The rear end is a piece of piss. Just undo the bottom of the rear shocks and you can pop the old springs out and the new springs in

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Not done it on a Leon, but have done it on a mates Fiesta and my old car (MG ZR)

As above really. The pinch bolts on the hub/bottom of the suspension strut are notoriously tight on most cars. Get a decent breaker bar and you should be alright!

Get some decent spring compressors though. When doing my mates car for him, one of the spring compressors came loose and spun round the spring, trapping my finger, nearly taking it off. The next couple of hours spent doing the other shock were squeaky-bum time, as it really shook me up.

Don't let my horror story put you off.. i've heard a guy once lost 5 teeth when the spring hit him! ANy less than 5 and i'd call it a success.

Sep 4, 2009
Thanks for all the input, think im gonna get some help of a friend! Will report back with the number of digits/teeth lost!

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
haha.. excellent.

Just make sure when uncompressing the old springs once you've taken the top mount off, that you undo each compressor a couple of turns at a time alternately. I think this is where I messed up as one went slack, the spring bowed and the compressor slipped round trapping my finger between the 2 compressors.

I'm yet to lower my LC, as I'm deciding on whether to go coilies or not. The Hottuning ones on eBay look cheap and cheery, just need to research whether theres any horror stories about them.

Shani

Habitual derv user
Aug 12, 2007
Baillieston, Glasgow
Not done it on a Leon, but have done it on a mates Fiesta and my old car (MG ZR)

As above really. The pinch bolts on the hub/bottom of the suspension strut are notoriously tight on most cars. Get a decent breaker bar and you should be alright!

Get some decent spring compressors though. When doing my mates car for him, one of the spring compressors came loose and spun round the spring, trapping my finger, nearly taking it off. The next couple of hours spent doing the other shock were squeaky-bum time, as it really shook me up.

Don't let my horror story put you off.. i've heard a guy once lost 5 teeth when the spring hit him! ANy less than 5 and i'd call it a success.

5 teeth! Surely a local mechanic would be cheaper than the dentist's bill?

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
its a horrible horrible job have just done mine im a mechanic by trade and it took me two days as one side would not come apart and go back together easily. did it on my drive with a jack in all fairness!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.