How have the cars held up/Question

Feb 5, 2023
Hi all,
sorry for any grammar and if the topic has been asked before.
Im looking to buy a car and have found 2 toledos that fit my price range. I was wondering however, how the car holds up in 2023, if theres problems with rust and such.

Im also interested in the engines that these cars house.

Car A: 1999 2.3liter 110kW (1 250 €)
Car B: 2000 1.8liter 92kW (1 100 €)
Both cars have ~200 000 km on them, both petrol.

I have read mixed reports about the 2.3liter engine. Some say its reliable, some say its not. Only thing I have read for certain is that it likes to drink a lot of petrol. How true is that?
Dont at all know anything about the 1.8liter one.

Any comment about the cars, what to look out for, their price and engines would be much appreciated.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
The 2.3 loves petrol. Milage won't be great but you put a good exhaust on and you have a glorious 5pot sounds. If it's the 110Kw version it's 10v so not as good as the 20v.

The 1.8 looks like it's a non turbo? Not great from a performance standpoint but better on fuel.

Both are relatively reliable if they've been looked after properly

TollyV5

Dec 7, 2023
Ive just bought a 170 V5, 1 of only 71 left on the road, and the previous owner had her for 16 years!

On the 4 hour journey back from Wales, I averaged 38mpg. Pottering around it's possible to get 28mpg+ pretty easily - I've come from owning 2 x 3.2 mk1 Audi TTs and the mpg is much better than those and I was perfectly happy with getting late 20s pottering, early to mid 30s on a run in one of those, not sure why people complain about the V5 mpg. Learn how to drive it well and it's decent!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.