How long should I leave engine running before switch off?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
another little point if really pushing your car... stopping or switching straight off will cook your brakes too. heat gets trapped under the pad whilst the disc starts to cool and can warp them.
Far better to go gentle for the last bit, letting the car come back down to normal temps than letting it simmer on the drive.

uuf361

Jun 29, 2008
I leave the engine turned on after stopping only as long as it takes me to turn the key TBH........think I'd ned to be driving it very hard (which won't happen) to think about leaving it running.

Conversely in my 997 TT I leave it for about 30 seconds just to make sure everything settles down.

jahulobo

My Word! I don't have a TURBO vehicle, but if I did, I would have ruined the car by now. I am always running late for everything I do. I have a 5 speed and when I am zipping into the parking lot at work, I put my foot on the clutch, and I shut my engine off before I have even come to a complete stop. I guess that would kill a turbo, wouldn't it? :blink:

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
When u have been booting ur turbo up and u decided to park up and u drive half a mile whitout useing the turbo i would this is fine to turn the engine off after 10sec parked up as u have let the turbo cool and spool down, lil test for u drive ur car hard booting the turbo up big time then pull over and open ur bonnet and have a look at the turbo it should to glowing red or white with the heat then cool down after about 30sec this it why u have to let it cool down after booting so the oil can cool the turbo down, but i would say if u have been driving normal befor u park up only needs about 30sec if that, but if u have been driving like a mad man ;) then i would say about a 1min if u cant be assed waiting get a turbo timer :)

Rab

...and breathe...

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
After I take my turn off the dual carrige way it's about a mile to my house and I just drive off boost until I park. That's more than enough time in my opinion.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Always drive steady for the last mile, and leave her ticking for a minute.

No there are not any insurance issues if you do not leave your car in gear. However i would always recommend leaving a car in gear, you only need to search for stories of cars wandering off down hills on here to see why.
I believe the highway code advises this also.

Someone - probably who has worked in the auto trade will come along and state, 'we are told never to leave cars in gear', - but thats because not everyone leaves their car in gear and as a result not everyone uses the clutch or checks if the car is in gear before starting the car...

I simply think in discussions like this, 'why wouldnt you leave it in gear?'.

However there are potential insurance issues using a turbo timer as the car is running without you at the wheel or in control of the vehicle.

Speaking to a chap who has just bought a new Focus RS, after a spirited drive he parked it up on his drive, which has a slight incline. Anyway 2 hours later he looked out his window to find the car had moved 20 yards, into his neighbours pickup. apparently the callipers expanded slightly, so when they'd cooled down, they stopped holding the disc it slipped and caused £1600 worth of damage.
Ford expanation, he hadn't pulled the handbrake on enough!

Make your own mind up.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Always drive steady for the last mile, and leave her ticking for a minute.

Speaking to a chap who has just bought a new Focus RS, after a spirited drive he parked it up on his drive, which has a slight incline. Anyway 2 hours later he looked out his window to find the car had moved 20 yards, into his neighbours pickup. apparently the callipers expanded slightly, so when they'd cooled down, they stopped holding the disc it slipped and caused £1600 worth of damage.
Ford expanation, he hadn't pulled the handbrake on enough!

Make your own mind up.

Well yes, if you hammer it, and the brakes get hot, when it cools down the parts will change size and will effectively cause the handbrake to release. This happened to me at a trackday, almost went in to the side of zboyd's car!!