How powerful is the cupra 290?

APL290

Jul 20, 2016
Has anyone had a 290 on a dyno?

Does anyone know how powerful it really is?

Thanks

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Has anyone had a 290 on a dyno?

Does anyone know how powerful it really is?

Thanks

Think I've read in previous threads that 280s average around 300bhp on a dyno so I'd say the 290 would be similar - depends on the dyno though as figures can vary.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
My 265 made 290 stock so I'd imagine over. The boost is a fair bit less (around 4psi) so I'd think the 290s will make over 300.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
My car (Cupra 280) made the following as a stock car.

302bhp at the flywheel on REVO's hub dyno, 308bhp at the flywheel on a Maha rolling road.

it also made 312bhp at the flywheel in "stock mode" which was a setting on the REVO ecu that was also running an intake as well though.

Several others have all made 300ish standard.

The reason for this, when I did the REVO development back in 2014, when they took the OEM file off the car and opened it in and editor and compared it to a Golf R file it was actually the same file.

Last edited:

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset

302bhp at the flywheel on REVO's hub dyno, 308bhp at the flywheel on a Maha rolling road.

it also made 312bhp at the flywheel in "stock mode" which was a setting on the REVO ecu that was also running an intake as well though.

The reason for this, when I did the REVO development back in 2014, when they took the OEM file off the car and opened it in and editor and compared it to a Golf R file it was actually the same file.

I believe you have gone stage 2 now. What are your figures now?

I'm curious because I'm about to choose an exhaust supplier and then go stage 2

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Made 388 peak the other week but we identified heat issues on several runs when logging.

IC is the stumbling block at moment.

DynamicD

Sep 24, 2016
Cant wait to get mine :)

Anyone got performance stats for when it's rolling?

Dave

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
From what I've read, various tuning companies have said that the mapping for the 290/GolfR/S3 are identical...as in, EXACTLY the same. -VAG group have been too lazy to map them differently. I need to find the reference for this, but the 290 was hitting 310-315bhp on the dyno.
Even Evo magazine in the recent hot hatch test (where the 290 beat the Focus RS) said that the 290 pulled harder than the '290' moniker would suggest.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012

Should that not say 'Estimated 308bhp at the flywheel', given they are using an algorithm to try and guesstimate the transmission losses?

APL290

Jul 20, 2016
Thanks for the responses guys.

Especially the dyno lottery ones. :rofl:

Can't wait till Monday next week when mine finally arrives!:funk:

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
My Cupra 290 DSG when I put the power down on the front wheels hops ayway, so why do you need more power, you can only do a legal 70mph on the motorway!

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
My Cupra 290 DSG when I put the power down on the front wheels hops ayway, so why do you need more power, you can only do a legal 70mph on the motorway!

Why'd you bother with a 290 then? You can wheel spin a 1.2 corsa. If you wanted it to be a Leon you can spin a 1.2tsi.

You're the first person I know to own a hot hatch and say you don't want more power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
Jarre, thanks I note your comments, I have had 10 Seat cars to date, my first was a Cordoba 2.0 red which I loved, I think the 290 is a great car, great looks and VW AUDI technology. I can only push my car within the speed limits on the roads, and I can assure you that I push it more than that where I can. Eveyrbody wants to race me at the lights, when I put my foot down I bloody well leave them in my wake!

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Anyone who says they stick to the limits all of the time isn't telling the truth anyway!

A 290 is no slouch but I definitely wouldn't say no to more power!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
When I first got my 265 I had the same issue. It took me a couple of weeks (I don't do many miles) to get used to it and i haven't had wheel hop since. It's how you put the power down that makes a difference. I'll need new front tires soon so going to get something different to the conti sport contacts 5's and maybe an uprated engine mount so I can get on the power a little harder earlier when I want to.

Also about speeding you have to pretty careful. 3rd gear on with only a little press of the accelerator you can be breaking the speed limit. It's not like in a slower car where it takes a while to get into silly speeds in our cars it takes only a few seconds. This car makes me smile every time I drive it!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise