How true are MK1 FR and MK2 FR TDi MPG fuel computer readings?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

Does anyone know how true or accurate the fuel MPG readings are on these cars?

My reason for asking, I just changed my MK FR TDI 150 which I used to get in the 50’s driving to work and close or into 60’s and even 70’s on the way home. However in my now 11plate MK2 FR CR 170 I am getting in the 40’s on the way to work and just scraping into the 50’s on the way home 

I have to say on a £20.00 fueling I got 170 miles which give or take it about what I was getting in the MK1 so made me think are the figures accurate?

Another thing to throw into the mix, I now have a strong feeling my MK1 had been re-mapped and believe I read somewhere that can throw the mpg readings out a bit?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice

CB

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I think most will testify MPG readouts on Trip computers are generally not massively reliable. Mine in my Toledo tends to be about 5% more optimistic on the MPG. Best thing to do is work it out yourself or use an App such as Fuelly.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Thanks

So after nearly three weeks of driving the car im happier.

The way to work is up hill so always lower mpg

However, the other day going to work at 62mph I got 53.6mpg so better, this morning on way to work 75mph I got 48.1mpg so much better.

Even better still, last night going home at 60mph I got 61.3mpg so a lot happier now :)

Im sure the 73.7mpg I got in my MK1 was partly 50mph restriction too!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.