How useful is the convenience pack?

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
They were all standard on the exeo so was a bit surprised they didn't come as standard on a Leon, nevermind.

I don't really miss them. Not exactly hard to turn the lights on or dim the mirror manually

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
You can retrofit the auto lights and wipers tbf and there’s a guy on the forum that will do it for you. That’s probably the cheapest option all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fester999

May 17, 2020
My 2017 fr has auto lights and wipers.
My last fr was 63 plate it had a button and light on the rear view mirror.
My car now doesn't. Does this mean it isn't auto dimming?

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Is it this sensor behind the rear view mirror?

As there are 2 Black facelift 2017 FR at a SEAT dealership that they just got in, one says it has Automatic Headlight Control and the other car says it has auto headlights and auto dimming rear view mirror but both doesn't have Auto on the headlight switch.
Mine doesn’t look like that...appears to be built into the windscreen on mine but might have changed it...light switch definitely says auto although my windscreen wipers don’t but they are auto.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
My 2017 fr has auto lights and wipers.
My last fr was 63 plate it had a button and light on the rear view mirror.
My car now doesn't. Does this mean it isn't auto dimming?
No button on mine either but it auto dims...there is a sensor in the windscreen so not sure if this is the sensor or a combined rain and brightness sensor as it doesn’t dim like my old Insignia did which only dimmed when lights came through the back window onto the face of the mirror...the Leon seems to dim all night once it gets below a certain ambient level on mine...assume they’re all the same on mk3 (mines a 2018 FR Sport for reference).

Reactions: Fester999

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
You're going to laugh, but I had this convinence pack on my Ibiza (came standard on FRs), with the Auto on the headlights, automatic wipers, and auto-dimming rear view mirror. I turned the wiper function off (as it sometimes randomly comes on even if no rain) on the infortatiment, never kept the lights on auto (didn't want to on / off the bi-xenons in small tunnels) and unfortuantely for the rear dimming mirror, that I could not turn off, so it did it's thing, mostly when there are headlights behind me, but sometimes if only 1 car, it does not. Imagine my shock the first, time, 'argh..I can't see why has everything gone black?'

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm sitting in the car. I have arms and legs and I'm looking out of the windows. I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself if and when I want the wipers, lights or any other function activated and it takes me a second to do so.

The only advantage of an automatic system is when it's better at making these decisions than you are. Maybe I'm just a genius but, in a car, I'm consistently finding that not to be the case. Wipers that switch off when the car stops at the light so I can't see a damn thing when it's time to move. Automatic braking system that warns me when there is nothing to hit and does nothing when there is.

We need a machine to tell us when it's dark and we need lights? To tell us when it's raining? If you need to be told these things, you shouldn't be driving a car and if you don't, you must be just hellova lazy.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
You're going to laugh, but I had this convinence pack on my Ibiza (came standard on FRs), with the Auto on the headlights, automatic wipers, and auto-dimming rear view mirror. I turned the wiper function off (as it sometimes randomly comes on even if no rain) on the infortatiment, never kept the lights on auto (didn't want to on / off the bi-xenons in small tunnels) and unfortuantely for the rear dimming mirror, that I could not turn off, so it did it's thing, mostly when there are headlights behind me, but sometimes if only 1 car, it does not. Imagine my shock the first, time, 'argh..I can't see why has everything gone black?'
Couldn’t be doing without the auto lights these days and I see your concern over the HID’s but over 2 cars and 9 years (HID equipped cars) I’ve never had to replace a HID bulb and they ran permenantly on with my SAAB and auto on the Vauxhall.

Haha yeah can imagine the shock of everything going dark first time round if you weren’t used to it ?

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
I'm sitting in the car. I have arms and legs and I'm looking out of the windows. I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself if and when I want the wipers, lights or any other function activated and it takes me a second to do so.

The only advantage of an automatic system is when it's better at making these decisions than you are. Maybe I'm just a genius but, in a car, I'm consistently finding that not to be the case. Wipers that switch off when the car stops at the light so I can't see a damn thing when it's time to move. Automatic braking system that warns me when there is nothing to hit and does nothing when there is.

We need a machine to tell us when it's dark and we need lights? To tell us when it's raining? If you need to be told these things, you shouldn't be driving a car and if you don't, you must be just hellova lazy.
I agree with the auto braking...had to turn that off due to angle of my drive and it anchoring up everytime I pulled off!
Can’t say I’ve had a problem with wipers on mine?

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I had auto wipers, auto lights and auto dimming rear view mirror in my 2007 Mondeo ST, so got very used to never having to turn on the lights, wipers etc for six years.

Was slightly disappointed that the Leon I bought in June didn't have them, but to be fair, the car was the right price/condition at the right time and it wasn't a deal breaker for me. As some have said already, the auto wipers in some cars (I know the Mondeo was like this - but maybe they've improved over the years?) are quite random at times and you end up having to over-ride them to clear the screen or switch them off even sometimes because they're wiping a dry screen.

I do find myself leaving the lights ON in the Leon though, so have sometimes been runing around in the day time with them on because I forgot to switch them off the night before - but that is really the only issue I've had, and it's not the end of the world driving with your lights on anyway. The lights don't stay on like older cars when the switch is on and the key's out of the ignition, so there's no risk of battery drain any more either.

I honestly don't miss them enough to bother with retrofitting everything to get it to work. I suppose I might benefit from the coming home/leaving home lights sometimes - but I've never had that on a car before so I don't miss that feature at all...... :)

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Couldn’t be doing without the auto lights these days and I see your concern over the HID’s but over 2 cars and 9 years (HID equipped cars) I’ve never had to replace a HID bulb and they ran permenantly on with my SAAB and auto on the Vauxhall.

Haha yeah can imagine the shock of everything going dark first time round if you weren’t used to it ?

At least on the Ibiza, the plus side of Auto lights is, in the dark, if you unlock your car, the headlights come on and light up the way...but only for 30 secs, so no slow walkers!

Autobraking on my current car, did 'save' me on two occasions where without it, i would have rear ended the car, but also when a motocyclist switches lanes in front of me, it triggers it! bah! Because it's camera based (and not radar based on the Volvo (i think), plastic bags and leaves do not affect it.

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
At least on the Ibiza, the plus side of Auto lights is, in the dark, if you unlock your car, the headlights come on and light up the way...but only for 30 secs, so no slow walkers!

Autobraking on my current car, did 'save' me on two occasions where without it, i would have rear ended the car, but also when a motocyclist switches lanes in front of me, it triggers it! bah! Because it's camera based (and not radar based on the Volvo (i think), plastic bags and leaves do not affect it.
Yes sorry I should clarify...I still have the auto city braking on...it is the park assist braking I have turned off on mine so at incredibly slow speeds when the park assist is active...I believe (although not had to test it yet) that the auto brake is still active as it did beep, and a warning on the dash, at me once but I had already just got off the accelerator to apply brakes so it hadn’t actually applied them for me.

might just double check exactly what the menu said that I deactivated but 99% sure it was the parking brake only (so when parking sensors are active and displayed on the infotainment panel as opposed to just driving along in the road).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.