Hybrid or Ev mode cheaper to run?

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
So when i first got my ehybrid, the Ev mode was clearly cheaper for me to get to work. But with home electric prices now rising to £0.40kwh ( I work nights, so charging off peak isn’t an option) I’ve worked out that i am paying roughly £0.12 per mile. If the car has no charge, & i rely mainly on the engine, i average 50mpg, & it works out around £0.14 per mile. Not a massive difference.

My question is; does it make more sense to drive in hybrid mode all the time, but charging the car still. Generally my car uses most the battery for a round trip to work on Ev. But in hybrid, i still have around 50% left. The car tends to switch between Ev & ICE pretty intelligently since i had software updated.

There used to be a read out on the display that told you how many of the miles you travelled were on Ev. But it’s gone since recent updates. That would have made things simpler as i could work out how many miles id done on Ev, & how many i did on ICE. Work out cost per mile for each & do the maths. But with that gone now, i cant work out how i can reach a conclusion.

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
40p per kwh? You're getting ripped off... Price cap is 27p per kWh - I guess you're on a business plan or PAYG?
No. It’s a home contract. We fixed our contract just prior to cost cap coming in. I don’t believe the government help does anything for people like myself who suffered due to unfortunate timing.

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
Unrelated to your car, but see if you can switch to Standard Variable tariff. You probably have exit fees, but I had them waived by my provider when I threatened to leave (otherwise what's the difference between staying and leaving if they still charge contract termination fees).