Ibiza Cupra 2011 o2 Sensor Issues - A problem child already?

Aug 16, 2022
Now then! Just joined this forum, so hello everyone :D

Right then, bought a 2011 Ibiza Cupra last Friday (12/08/22). Has 109k on the clock, but clear evidence work has been done throughout it's life - beyond service history it lacked receipts however but this was reflected on the price. Engine purred like a kitten on the test drive, no nasty smoke or bangs whatsoever, an ideal car - or so I thought?

On Sunday, 2 days after purchase the car decided to show me it's EML light. After plugging it in, it read that the "Bank 1 Sensor 1" o2 sensor had an issue, and a second code stating the o2 sensor was stuck rich. I took it back to the garage and they replaced this sensor free of charge. Following this, that very same evening the EML came back! This time, "Bank 1 Sensor 2" o2 sensor which is of course post-cat, I then took it back again expecting them to change the sensor in question - instead they claimed their scan tool had mentioned a coil pack on pot 3 so they have changed that instead of the sensor. The car drove fine that day, and then the morning of the following day. Until the evening when leaving work on a cold start the car felt a little lumpy on idle but nothing to really see other than this noticeable occurence. Half way through my journey the car ran fine, and has now flagged yet another EML - claiming the same as before, "Bank 1 Sensor 2" and that it is again stuck on rich on the seperate code.

So tomorrow it will go back for yet another diagnosis, but has anyone had this type of issue or any clue to what it may be? It's a shame so early into ownership, everything else on the car seems absolutely fine given the infamous talk of the CAVE engine. Spark plugs are in my possession and will be getting changed, the car has only just been serviced as well. So, if anyone has any idea based on my story so far, please do let me know!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members