Ibiza FR Sport DSG - First Impressions

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
So I finally have my car!

A few will know that I had an MK5 1.0 TSI FR DSG previously so I'm moving to a pretty similar package spec-wise here.

Engine:
A little more 'thrummy' than my previous 1.0 TSI but the cabin insulation is much improved so it's barely audible. It does however shake at idle, which my old one didn't at all but that doesn't bother me.
I've not really put my foot down yet as I only have 100 miles under my belt but power output seems similar as expected. Infotainment indicated MPG for my first trip up the M6 was 54MPG.

DSG Gearbox
This gearbox changes up fast!! It's a hell of a lot smoother than my previous 7 speed DSG.
I do find that if I push down on the accelerator, it won't change down gear without a fight. It really seems to try and use the engine torque to give you what you're after. My old DSG used to kick down a gear or two if I pushed the accelerator a little. I'm not sure what I prefer yet, a bit more driving and testing to do. It may ease up a bit once it has a few more miles. So far, very impressed and much much smoother than my old DSG.

Exterior
Love the 18" wheels and I was a little worried about MPG being affected but if I can get 54MPG regularly on my M6 trips then I'll be happy! I envisage this increasing slightly as the car is run in.
LED lights look great, but not tried them in the dark yet. Our Leon does have them too, so I expect they will be on par or better than these.
Bridgestone Turanza tyres fitted from factory.

Interior
Wow! What a step up over the MK5! It doesn't yet have the full grown up feel of the Leon as some of the plastics let it down in that regard but for its class, this cabin is amazing!
The shutting of the door test doesn't inspire too much confidence and does sound a bit tinny. Very strange. MK5 wins that battle.

No rattles as yet (touch wood!!) And the ride quality is much more refined, road noise reduced significantly. I think the MK5 was particularly bad for road noise. I'd read a few reviews saying the road noise was bad and it did worry me as I'd be mostly doing motorway miles but I can say it is definitely quieter than the MK5, 100%.

Tech
Infotainment is broadly similar to my MK5, slight software changes etc but nothing major. The screen however is miles better. Very clear, crisp and bright.
I was worried about sound quality as I had SEAT Sound in my MK5 however I can say the sound quality beats the standard system in our 2017 Leon, I'm impressed. It misses the umph of the SEAT Sound sub, but for what it is, it's great and I'm pleased with it.
Digital dash displays a lot of information to get your head around. Three different views and also customizable too. I think I'll be playing with that for a while but it's a very snazzy looking piece of kit and adds an extra elite feeling to the car!

If anyone has any questions, please ask and I'll try my best to answer!

I'll update as more miles are driven.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
So I finally have my car!

A few will know that I had an MK5 1.0 TSI FR DSG previously so I'm moving to a pretty similar package spec-wise here.

DSG Gearbox
This gearbox changes up fast!!

Interior

The shutting of the door test doesn't inspire too much confidence and does sound a bit tinny. Very strange. MK5 wins that battle.
No rattles as yet (touch wood!!) And the ride quality is much more refined, road noise reduced significantly.

I was worried about sound quality as I had SEAT Sound in my MK5 however I can say the sound quality beats the standard system in our 2017 Leon, I'm impressed. It misses the umph of the SEAT Sound sub, but for what it is, it's great and I'm pleased with it.
Digital dash displays a lot of information to get your head around. Three different views and also customizable too. I think I'll be playing with that for a while but it's a very snazzy looking piece of kit and adds an extra elite feeling to the car!

If anyone has any questions, please ask and I'll try my best to answer!

I'll update as more miles are driven.

There's a gearbox that changes up even faster than our Mk5 1.0 EcoTSI DSG? In the Mk5 sometimes it changes up even at 1700rpm! Mk6 def less stuttery...

The tinny doors could be because the SC doors were Huge and heavy! compared to 5dr Mk6 Ibiza. I felt my Mk5 SC door were more substantial even to my Volvo V40 front doors! I'm still adjusting to the annoying B pillar blocking my over the shoulder view, compared to the MK5 SC longer door and window. Oh, and I keep pressing the rear windows down in my V40, not used to having 4 window buttons.

Did your MK5 ibiza ever rattle? Mine didn't from collection to return.

I miss the extra oomph of the sub, back seat passengers can feel the thump...however at least on my V40 now, I've got a 4x45amp from factory under the front passeger seat :). Could do with a bit more bass thump though.

Figures suggest the 1.0TSI Mk6 is less economical than the Mk5, but is it really? Do you feel the additional 5bhp over the Mk5?

Other than that, and besides where are the pics? Enjoy!

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
It does change up fast! I was in 5th gear at 27MPH. I also mean fast as in rapid, less laggy than my MK5 and literally in noticeable. The change from 1st to second gear is also much improved.

60MPG managed this morning on the M6 commute, 64MPG seen on the way home. All using the 'Since Start' readout.

I've also discovered I have speed limited which I am very pleased about, as I'm sure the MK5 didn't have this, just an audible warning, but this allows me to sit in roadworks and set the limiter to 50MPH but still ease off when behind traffic instead of turning the cruise off/on all the time.

Here are some pics:

K5LZ4S3

TwPQHfH

Reactions: williamxb

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Looks gorgeous! It's an absolute gem of an engine the 1.0 TSI.

The speed limiter is awesome. I love having it. I have ACC so I just set that at 50 in the roadworks, but I use the limiter at 30 around town. Just leave it on and ignore the dash, watching out for the morons around Manchester who like to pull out without indicating, jump reds, step out into traffic, that sort of thing! My previous Fabia had just the limiter, and so I used that a lot on the motorway.

Also, the alcantara seats are so good aren't they! Really comfy, yet also give good support. I gave a friend a lift the other day, he knows nothing about cars, but got in and immediately commented on how nice the interior is.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Love the exterior and the seats. The whole dash needs a redesign IMO though - that would probably stop me buying one until it's face-lifted.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Really? I like it! What bit of the dash aren't you keen on? The only thing I don't like is the way the hard plastic on the top reflects on the windscreen in certain lights.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The ugly trapezoid satnav, just ruins the interior for me. That exact infotainment looks perfectly good as a rectangle in other VW products, but in the Ibiza / Arona it just looks like a massive bodge-up. Just like the early MK3 A-Class had an ugly Ipad-alike sticking out of the dash spoiling an otherwise fine interior.

I'm not a fan of Digi dials in cars either. I got used to them in cockpits (eventually) as they can actually make flying safer and more efficient, but in a car I can't see the need, especially if it looks like something from Nintendo.

Reactions: gojoego

gojoego

Mar 14, 2019
The ugly trapezoid satnav, just ruins the interior for me. That exact infotainment looks perfectly good as a rectangle in other VW products, but in the Ibiza / Arona it just looks like a massive bodge-up. Just like the early MK3 A-Class had an ugly Ipad-alike sticking out of the dash spoiling an otherwise fine interior.

I'm not a fan of Digi dials in cars either. I got used to them in cockpits (eventually) as they can actually make flying safer and more efficient, but in a car I can't see the need, especially if it looks like something from Nintendo.

I like the digital dash! Why I've bought the FR Sport.