Ibiza MK5 (2014) Stereo Head Unit Replacement

I4MJ05H

Nov 9, 2016
Hi Everyone,

This may have been asked before, however I couldn't find a thread which answered my question so I thought it would be worth starting another (I found some which related to my question, but didn't fully answer it).

I want to change my standard head unit to a nice double din touch screen, however I wasn't sure if I can actually do this for several reasons:

1) As the car has the weird plug-in sat nav on top, will this still work? I know the sat nav and standard head unit work through each other, so if I change the head unit will this screw up the sat nav? I don't mind if the bluetooth doesn't use the sat nav because I would buy a new head unit with bluetooth, but I do like to use the sat nav to view the car stats (such as the coolant temperature etc as there isn't a dial for that around the speedo).

2) Can I connect the new head unit to the cars microphones so that if I get a phone call, I can still answer and speak through the car?

3) Is it likely that the stalk will still be able to control the stereo (assuming I buy a stalk compatible head unit and wiring loom)?

4) I know I need to get the replacement panel to move the hazards etc to the gearstick, but do the replacement panels and wiring looms work properly?

I've watching the Zenec-Z video (youtube .com/watch?v=LFIWR7JXEsY [sorry, I can't post links apparently...]) but just wanted to make sure I'm right about my questions...

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Hey so I have the same year, the gps will work but Bluetooth won't, ad music won't and you will normally not get the car info anymore unless you get a radio with canbus adapter.
I went for the parrot asteroid smart, since it is a shallow mount you don't have to cut out too much plastic behind radio.

And I used the parrot canbus adapter as well with plug and play harness so I keep steering wheel commands and illumination !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I4MJ05H

Nov 9, 2016
Hey so I have the same year, the gps will work but Bluetooth won't, ad music won't and you will normally not get the car info anymore unless you get a radio with canbus adapter.
I went for the parrot asteroid smart, since it is a shallow mount you don't have to cut out too much plastic behind radio.

And I used the parrot canbus adapter as well with plug and play harness so I keep steering wheel commands and illumination !

Hey,

Thanks for the info! I'm happy without the Bluetooth because I'll get a stereo with built in Bluetooth anyway, but does your parrot asteroid let you use hands free through the car microphones?

And if you have the canbus adapter, does that mean you can see the car information on that screen instead? (I assume not because I doubt the new head unit had the software to display that)?. It's not a massive issue because I have an OBDeleven device which can read it anyway.

When you say you don't have to cut away much plastic, how much is that haha?

Cheers!

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
For the Bluetooth the thing is that the mic is on the gps itself ... that's why the conversation quality isn't great.

I ran everything on driver side with stock harness through ceiling panel to center, as well as gps antenna, it is very discreet, I'll post pic when I get home.

Well with this radio the can bus il mainly for steering wheel controls, lights dimming, radars if you have...

On ther cars you can have ac and other fun stuff.

On other great thing is you have dual Bluetooth so you can have obd reader through torque app for example and have phone as well

I4MJ05H

Nov 9, 2016
For the Bluetooth the thing is that the mic is on the gps itself ... that's why the conversation quality isn't great.

I ran everything on driver side with stock harness through ceiling panel to center, as well as gps antenna, it is very discreet, I'll post pic when I get home.

Well with this radio the can bus il mainly for steering wheel controls, lights dimming, radars if you have...

On ther cars you can have ac and other fun stuff.

On other great thing is you have dual Bluetooth so you can have obd reader through torque app for example and have phone as well

Does your car not have two mics in the ceiling, just in front of the interior light? I have two there so I imagine that there will be a separate wire in the back to connect to them. I was just hoping to be able to use the Bluetooth calling without the sat nav in because I find it slightly annoying haha. And the photo would be good if you're ok to do that :)

Cheers!

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Hey man, Rhône aren't mics they are just a common part with other VW cars. In the Passat the mics are there.
f292597676cc8718e0de6021af40d596.jpg
9155beee57e21ef3442a6fa40790cf48.jpg
766e6cc4ec41af33abe5e0978370192a.jpg

So when I changed ceiling light I checked for
Mics

I4MJ05H

Nov 9, 2016
Hey man, Rhône aren't mics they are just a common part with other VW cars. In the Passat the mics are there.
f292597676cc8718e0de6021af40d596.jpg
9155beee57e21ef3442a6fa40790cf48.jpg
766e6cc4ec41af33abe5e0978370192a.jpg

So when I changed ceiling light I checked for
Mics

I always thought they were mics :S Do you know what are they there for then?

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
As it is a part that goes in many different cars in the VW group for the past 10 years, I guess they are made for mics or temp sensors, in wife's Tiguan it is the mic.

I4MJ05H

Nov 9, 2016
As it is a part that goes in many different cars in the VW group for the past 10 years, I guess they are made for mics or temp sensors, in wife's Tiguan it is the mic.

That makes sense, I'll look into it. Thanks for pointing that out! It might just be an optional extra which the person who owned the car before me didn't go for, hopefully it more or less just needs plugging into the new head unit haha!

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Hmm generally the mics aren't plug and play but If you fin à vw one you'll have to cut wires, then figure out what is what and weld to your radio :)

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
In my experience those sensors are motion sensors for the alarm system. They detect broken windows/ forced entry.

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Just did a radio in my brothers Jetta. And one is the mic, that I cut and welded to use with new radio :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.