Ibiza PD130 Sport. Bargain daily!

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Bought for a whole £150. I’ve never been so fortunate in the past with motoring bargains, but can’t quite believe my luck.

53 plate, 150k miles. Decent history.

Needs a couple of tyres (+ wheel alignment) & front arb bushes prior to MOT but is otherwise very solid.

Perfect to use as a daily driver so I can garage my DC2 Integra for the winter

Have purchased a FADR stage 1 remap file- should be good for around 160hp/280lbs.ft.. Not flashed it yet though- think I might need to pull fuse(s) for the dash to get it to work with my Galletto cable..?

Other purchases are some new mats, replacement cup holder, Alana stereo Bluetooth adapter (plugs in via the cd changer plug), gear gaiter, fog light grille & new TDi emblem for the tailgate.

Longer term il need to bleed the brakes, adjust handbrake & source a new passenger wing (rusting after previous poor repair!). Will also whip the EGR off & give it all a proper clean out.

In terms of a bargain daily that’s frugal but still decent to drive then I think I’m onto a bit of a winner!

Chris

0A617EED-76F7-48E4-A86A-0DF9A107888C.jpeg

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
As I said in the other thread, bargain of the century! For that sort of money, you'd be looking at an old banger on its last legs!

Congrats!

Very much so. Although a PD130 is old hat nowadays I reckon it’s one of VW’s best diesel motors. Pretty bulletproof. Plenty of life left in it @ 150k miles.

With a remap it should pull like a train as well

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Used my trusty netbook today to upload the new ECU file. A bit of faffing about but got there eventually.

Pulls very nicely now & appears to be smoke free so that’s a good sign

Also adjusted the handbrake & fitted a new cup holder in the dash.

Next jobs will be arb bushes, a pair of tyres with wheel alignment, bleed the brakes & fit a new nsf wing.

Reactions: Woody_72

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
New painted wing arrived yesterday. Looks fairly well finished at first glance.

Ive also renewed the TDi badging on the tailgate as originals were tired

Attachments

• 9C1711E9-8BA1-485B-A8BE-230EA5FF36AA.jpeg
    9C1711E9-8BA1-485B-A8BE-230EA5FF36AA.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 227
  • BCB2D1AC-972B-4FE6-90A2-B848E1BACBB2.jpeg
    BCB2D1AC-972B-4FE6-90A2-B848E1BACBB2.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: jt20vt

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
The Ibiza is now in daily use having had its MOTonly requiring a track rod end and 2 tyres. A bargain £150 indeed.

As expected it is suitably brisk with the remap. No clutch slip thus far!

Jobs to do are replace the thermostat as temp struggles to climb- then EGR & inlet manifold clean.

Fit new wing & dogbone insert, re-bleed the brakes and sort rear wash wipe.

For the money I really can’t complain though- not many £150 cars will still indicate 135mph on a private stretch il wager

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Today’s job has been bumper off & headlight out to sort out the intercooler top boost hose that had blown!

A couple of self tappers to secure plus cable ties as a back up on the hose flange should hold it now. Seems suitably firmly held in place for now in any case.

With boost leak sorted & new thermostat fitted i’m expecting the mpg return to increase somewhat. I got something around 360miles on its first full tank which I thought was pretty poor.

Reactions: Syphon

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
50176764-3CAD-4028-97D2-90C171E7BD55.jpeg

Today’s fettle was to replace both inner tail lamps- they were leaky & faded as above.

Re- attached the rear washer hose whilst I was at it.

No more blown boost hose issues so far either.

I need to fit my dogbone bush, replace the nsf wing & give the brakes another bleed but £150 motors don’t come any better.
1BC545EC-CFEA-4ADF-B057-F854306BEE81.jpeg

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Thanks!!

Whilst it’s only going to be my daily I can’t bare driving round in a car that isn’t clean & tidy and dynamically sorted.

Does anyone know if I can squeeze 312mm brakes under the stock 16” wheels? I ‘think’ I’d only need the 312 carriers & bigger discs to do the upgrade. Does that sound right?

I know they apparently fit a Fabia VRS on its stock 16’s but unsure about the Seat alloys.

The brakes at the moment aren’t too clever. No idea what pads are fitted but having bled them once the pedal is still unacceptably long...

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Thanks!!

Whilst it’s only going to be my daily I can’t bare driving round in a car that isn’t clean & tidy and dynamically sorted.

Does anyone know if I can squeeze 312mm brakes under the stock 16” wheels? I ‘think’ I’d only need the 312 carriers & bigger discs to do the upgrade. Does that sound right?

I know they apparently fit a Fabia VRS on its stock 16’s but unsure about the Seat alloys.

The brakes at the moment aren’t too clever. No idea what pads are fitted but having bled them once the pedal is still unacceptably long...
The Toledo V5 came with the 312 setup and ran 16s as well, it's snug but fits

Reactions: chrismc

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
The Toledo V5 came with the 312 setup and ran 16s as well, it's snug but fits

Good to know. I guess it comes down to the wheel design and offset then. There’s a bit of scope for spacers if needed.

312’s on something so relatively light must be a very good setup!.

My Integra makes do with 282’s pulling up a tad under 1100kgs & they are excellent for standard brakes. I can’t go bigger in the interests of staying OEM & as it has 15” wheels...

If I can squeeze 312’s onto the Ibiza that can only be a good thing though. Can never have enough of good brakes- especially as the 288’s don’t feel very good (unknown pads & likely need more bleeding however!)

Last edited:

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Today has seen the purchase of a set of mk1 TT 312 stoppers for £75 to my door. Complete set up inc nearly new pads & discs.

Should improve the braking somewhat!

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Dogbone mount replaced. Must have been the original fitted as the bush centre was separated from its surround & the outer rubber as good as fell out. Was in very poor shape.

C53894A1-1032-49D9-AC58-3CDA0D199563.jpeg

Replaced with a red powerflex item. Seems spot on. Throttle response 100% improved & no more squeaking & creaking from the front end.

Only issue now is I’ve spotted a coolant leak. I ‘think’ it’s the Coolant temp sensor! Rear of engine above gearbox cables.

If I wiggle the clip it leaks coolant- suspect the o ring past it’s best (likely original!) Replacement clip & o ring on order...

Reactions: MATT RILEY

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
When I whipped the undertray off to change the dogbone mount I noticed evidence of a coolant leak.

Looked like it was dripping from the CTS initially so ordered a new o-ring & clip. This hasn’t sorted it though.

Next option is the plastic water flange the CTS sits in where it mounts to the side of the head.

GSF have supplied me one for £17 so il get it swapped later. Having undone the original, the o-ring is very flat & it looks like it’s the issue.

Cant be sure the housing isn’t split though so thought better to be safe than sorry!

312 brakes have turned up as well! Pads and discs look nearly new aside from some surface corrosion. All good!

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Water flange fixed the coolant leak.

Next job is the drivers console bush which is squeaking & falling to bits (I believe it’s the 155k original!)

ive also bought some OEM dampers for the front & Boge turbogas for the rear to hopefully tighten the somewhat sloppy body control as well.

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Well the dogbone mount didn’t last long- powerflex item has split through. Unfortunately that allows the dogbone bracket to pull out of the bush in the lower gear- cue mega-vibrations! New one en route!

I still need to fit console bush and dampers- but have also picked up some -45mm PI springs cheaply.

Will swap the new dampers & springs and TT brakes on when I get a chance. Should drive rather well after that!

chrismc

Aug 31, 2020
Highworth, Wiltshire
Dogbone bush all sorted- powerflex purple jobber fitted now. Bit of vibration at idle but drives much better.

Console bush to do next- might well attack the suspension & brakes over a couple of days & get it done in one hit.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Bargain indeed well worth spending a few quid to get it upto scratch, like said old hat but that would not bother me in the slightest, there’s worse cars out there that cost a hell of allot more, also be fun when mapped, you can’t beat dropping newer cars when they think there the nuts mutts lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise