Ibiza PD160 Cupra Suspension Advice

28Ace82

Oct 5, 2009
RAF Marham, Norfolk
Hi all,

I have a Mk4 Ibiza PD160 Cupra which has done 96,000 miles and is currently on a set of coilovers that the previous owner fitted, approximately 20,000 miles ago. I think they are made by GAZ.

I like the look of the car with the lower stance but I don't like the extremely stiff ride.
Having never driven a standard Cupra, I do not know if they are much softer. Perhaps I should test drive a stock Cupra and see the difference?

The car sometimes feels like its shaking itself apart, and there are some rattling noises coming from underneath which are getting worse all the time. I think it is probably just the bushes need replacing as when the car was MOT'd I asked him to take a look and he said everything seems fine.

My car has a SACHS clutch and is remapped to 200 BHP and 360 lb ft / 500 Nm. Does more power mean I should have stiffer suspension to cope or doesn't it matter?

The car came with the standard shocks and springs that were removed from the car when the coilovers were fitted so I still have these.

My question is what would be the best course of action to make the ride smoother?

Should I fit the stock springs and dampers back on even tho they may have done almost 80k miles and make the car look very high?

Should I get a new set, from SEAT or wherever sell them?

Should I get a new set of coilovers that someone could recommend that give the best ride comfort?

Or just stick with what I have and just put 215/45 tyres on? I've already put these on the rear but haven't noticed much of a difference in the ride at the rear, wondered if it would make more difference having the extra 5% profile on the front.

I guess I should first get some new bushes or at least determine what is causing all the rattling underneath, but I was going to take this opportunity to sort the suspension out at the same time.

If anyone has any suggestions, or knows of a make of aftermarket suspension that they can recommend, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew.

speak to dpm on here about suspension mate but in your situation i personally would stick the standard suspension back on or if you want it lower then fit after market shocks and springs.
have you tried your coilovers on the highest setting might be worth it to see if that helps the ride.

i think the standard suspension can handle high power fine with no worries.
people seem to think fitting coilovers makes a huge difference to the handling on the cupra but in truth it dont make much difference just doest roll in the corners quite so much.
i think the standard suspension is great and having the ride any stiffer makes the car a little dangerous when its wet on the roads which lets face it is most of the time which is why i think the standard suspension is the better option or after market shocks and springs as they are not quite as stiff as coilovers.
ive not had any experience with after market shocks and springs but have with coilovers and obviously the standard suspension which is why i have come to the above conclusion.
hope that helps some what.

28Ace82

Oct 5, 2009
RAF Marham, Norfolk
Advice

Cheers for the advice guys,

I think I will try and find a standard cupra somewhere nearby and take it for a test drive.

I will probably get whatever is causing the rattling fixed and see if I can accept the harsh ride for now unless the stock setup seems far smoother which I doubt it will.

Jaz281288

Apr 4, 2013
I have a cupra within standard suspension and it's still harsh over bumps but as said earlier it still corners well.

I have replaced all the bushes to powerflex black edition bushes and got a rarb and it corners soo much better now it's like a different car

IBIZA CUPRA TDI 244bhp

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.