Ice on the inside of windscreen

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Hi All

We have a 2015 Seat Leon ST (1.2 110). My wife drives is more than i do. She often complains that it takes ages for the screen to demist. Temperature up, Air con on, fans full speed and at the screen (Manual heater controls).

This morning, She phones me from the car to tell me its frozen on the inside of the screen too. Ive never known this before, i wonder if anyone else has had this?

Thanks

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I've had it this morning on my Ateca. It's been wet and warm, and now its cold - condensation is a thing unfortunately, allied to not that powerful a fan. I just take a microfibre cloth with me to clear the worst. Ice, you just have to wait. The joys of a temperate climate, whereas in the northern US it's bone dry - but with highs of -18C!

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have had this in my Leon ST too. Only car I have ever had ice form inside, and the worst car I have ever owned for condensation. I have my a/c on 24/7 now and it seems to help a bit, but I just think its a Seat thing. One of the main things I miss about my Ford Kuga, heated windscreen!

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I never ever turn off my AC - why would you? It helps dry the air and keep the windows clear in winter and in warm wet weather as well. Plus, the liquid in the system lubricates the comprssor seals. If you leave it off for long periods the seals get "sticky" and can get damaged, and that's a new compressor.

As to issues with condensation- I think that's a feature of more recent cars generally - my 2020 Toyota Corolla was absolutely dreadful for it, much worde than the 2014 A4 that I had before.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
  • I have had this in my Leon ST too. Only car I have ever had ice form inside, and the worst car I have ever owned for condensation. I have my a/c on 24/7 now and it seems to help a bit, but I just think its a Seat thing. One of the main things I miss about my Ford Kuga, heated windscreen!
Condensation on the inside of the screen isn’t just a Seat thing - it’s a fairly popular subject discussed on many car forums at this time of year.

It’s worth checking there aren’t certain factors that might be increasing the humidity levels in the car’s cabin that are making the situation worse than it might be - e.g.;
  • ensure there aren’t any damp or wet outer garments or wet umbrellas in the car.
  • check the car’s pollen filter isn’t blocked or water saturated.
  • If the car has a sunroof, check the drain tubes to ensure they’re not blocked and allowing water to drain into the car’s cabin.
  • check carpets / carpet mats to ensure they’re not wet.
  • check door seals for damage / deformity.
  • check the luggage compartment and spare wheel well for water ingress and if found, check possible sources.
Keeping the inside of the windscreen scrupulously clean will help any misting / condensation clear more quickly. Also, as you’ve said, keep the air con on as this helps to dehumidify the air.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
The condensation/slow clearing of the windscreen is perhaps my biggest bug bear of the Leon. I've never owned a car before with such condensation problems.

I'm on my second FL Leon and they're both exactly the same. My air con is never turned off as the climate control is always on AUTO. But it just takes forever to clear and so much condensation seems to build up. I can be sat there waiting for my car to demist in the work car park for at least 10 minutes after everyone else in their older cars has left! :confused:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had this on Tuesday morning, scraped the windows and then saw the windscreen was iced on the inside, damn, now running late, we always cool the car as we reach home and usually the front windows are open 1/2” inside the wind deflectors, might well have been worse without our precautions , just wondering what effect on airflow would be if we removed the pollen filter, it is clean, changed annually.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Yep happend all time in my seat too although i have purchased one of them cheap dehumidifier things from quid shop, bang it on dash and let it do its job and its fine now

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’m fortunate to be able to garage my car, so luckily condensation isn’t a big issue for me. For anyone with windscreen condensation I just wonder whether it’s worth trying one of those Pingi reusable dehumidifier bags (other brands are available 🙂).

Reactions: RoadRunnerRik

RoadRunnerRik

Dec 9, 2017
The Pingi is working great in both our cars. When the dot turns pink, put it in the microwave for a few seconds and done. The dot is blue and it's reusable.

When you don't like a microwave, you can also put it on a radiator in your apartment. It only takes a bit longer to turn blue again.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Its a pain in the backside. Happened on my previous Nissan also. While not using the car much at the moment (less after isolating as positive) if the sun has been shining then it 'warms' the glass which gives condensation inside when the outside air goes cold. Really cold and the condensation freezes. I have Pingi but it doesn't work well if condensation is severe and yes it takes a while to clear. Got exactly the same problem in my wife's Kia and when out walking I see this on lots of other cars also. If I drive towards sunlight I can see the runs down the screen where the condensation has formed drips :( .

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Seem to be the odd one out here! but I find my Leon ST TDI fine as regards condensation on the insides of the windows. I only leave the heater controls on auto.
Our other car - Mitsubishi Colt is terrible (parked on the same drive as my Leon) , and we have to leave an absorbent bag on the dash.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Creaks and groans worse than usual this year, car getting older, so we might need a new one darling? Ok, no then I’ll just turn up the radio.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Seats are bad for this i had to put silica bags under both seats and in rear door cards

Not your mickey mouse ones either. The ones that go in shipping containers.

caledonian

Jan 9, 2021
same issue in my 2017 Leon ST. Never happened in any of my 5 previous cars. Incidentally my colleague has an Octavia with the exact same issue, Is this a VAG group design flaw? Spoke to the dealer this morning and they were fobbing me off telling me my car mats are to blame (without even looking at the car).

Reactions: daniel_ley

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
same issue in my 2017 Leon ST. Never happened in any of my 5 previous cars. Incidentally my colleague has an Octavia with the exact same issue, Is this a VAG group design flaw? Spoke to the dealer this morning and they were fobbing me off telling me my car mats are to blame (without even looking at the car).
Possibly not being fobbed off with that answer - if the mats are wet from your shoes, then there's a ready made source of moisture inside the car before you even think of leaks/pollen filter etc. Mine was bad when I had carpet mats in, but ten times worse after I changed the carpet mats to rubber ones which could have standing water on them when I left the car. If the car was warm, that water has to go somewhere when it evaporates, and that somewhere is on your windows. My Octavia is just as bad as the Leon.

Reactions: caledonian