idle trouble

splodge81

need some help with this problem i have a ibiza gti cupra sport 2l 8v and the engine dies every time i press down on the clutch pedal i think its something to do with the idle valve but not sure and not sure where it is either any help would be appreciated

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
I'll bet a fiver on it being the throttle body being gunked up ;)

Same symptoms I had with my 8v....

Have a search for "throttle body 8v" and it should bring up loads of info.

Basically the idle is controlled by a stepper motor on the throttle body, which opens the butterfly valve slightly on tick-over. But, due to the crank-case breather pipe venting into the air inlet 'before' the TB, the butterfly val;ve gets gunked up, and eventually the stepper motor can't open the butterfly valve due to the gunk.

Pop the air inlet pipe off the TB, and you should be able to get in there and clean it up with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner. Get a friend (or a large hammer) to press the accelerator pedal whilst doing it, so you can get right inside the TB.

Hope that helps ;)

ibiza-carl

I had the same problem a couple of months back. I took my throttle body off and the breathers to give them a good clean with carb cleaner. taking them of i think is better as non of the dirt goes into the engine.

splodge81

thanks for the info fellas cleand the valve and breathers and alls well no cutting out any more:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise