Illuminated Shift Knob From Rieger... where to get?

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
My Dear Friends,

I've discovered the existence of a shift knob from Rieger with illuminated shift pattern, seemingly available for Mk IV Golfs, Beetles, A4s... more details here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3165344&postid=37403080

http://www.peterbeers.net/vw_roadtr...ft_Knob_Install/rieger_shift_knob_install.htm

DSCN3191_Lighted_Close-up.JPG

As we see, installation is pretty straightforward, the knob is far better looking than stock item, and it seems to have been available with blue or red lighting and with black or red stitching to complement a number of VAG cars.

However, the search could only redirect to North American Motorsport website, where there are listed the knobs for Beetle, A4, Passat ot Golf, but not for Seat Leon.

Which of the factory knobs for these cars should fit the Leon, to order the illuminated shift knob for that car? Mk IV?

I've tried to find it on the Rieger website, but to no avail.

Thank You,

~Nautilus

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
I'm not sure Reiger make the illuminated 6-speed knob anymore - tried searching for one of these a couple of years ago without any proper joy. They did have it on the website but then it disappeared :(

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
My knob is flaking.... But enough of my personal life

if anyone installs one please post your findings with pics, I'd be interested in replacing my one which has seen better days
not too keen on the chrome as it's the only bit in the cockpit
cheers

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
OK.

Is the Golf Mk IV shifter metal rod identical to Leon - 6 spd gearbox? If not, which rod is, A3 Mk I? There can be found - with a bit of effort - knobs for both of them.

Thank you,

~Nautilus

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Last edited:

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
For some reason its being edited...

here are pics of the links...

dlrgbs.jpg

209m3r9.jpg

Last edited:

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
You might want to consider that much of VW & Audi's 'black' cabin trim is actually (very) dark grey when compared to a Mk1 León's.

I tried fitting a Mk1 S3 'knob in my LCR, & aside from the fact its gaitor surround/base didn't fecking fit or dismantle, it looked very grey in an LCR's black cabin.

And on my screen, the Innovativcar 'knobs appear to be dark grey... :think:

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
You might want to consider that much of VW & Audi's 'black' cabin trim is actually (very) dark grey when compared to a Mk1 León's.

I tried fitting a Mk1 S3 'knob in my LCR, & aside from the fact its gaitor surround/base didn't fecking fit or dismantle, it looked very grey in an LCR's black cabin.

And on my screen, the Innovativcar 'knobs appear to be dark grey... :think:

They have 2 finishes :

Chrome look

Brushed look

i chose the brushed alu look - because it was as close to OEM as possible.

See below :

(LEFT) AFTERMARKET (With RED Light) - OEM LEON KNOB (RIGHT)

img1494le1.jpg

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Marco, I think 6th was refering to the colour of the leather, although it looks pretty close in that pic.
I really like this mod and as mine has a nick out of the paint on the ring I may take it off and see if the mod could be done diy. I guess theres nothing to lose as it needs changing anyway.

Last edited:

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Marco, I think 6th was refering to the colour of the leather, although it looks pretty close in that pic.
I really like this mod and as mine has a nick out of the paint on the ring I may take it off and see if the mod could be done diy. I guess theres nothing to lose as it needs changing anyway.

Yes... just posted the pic in case his monitor´s contrast was not helping much.

To be honest... It looked pretty much the same tone as the gaitor.

Yes, its not a big deal... 30 min job.

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
and the after market knob doesn't seem to have the same girth either compared to oem.
does it feel much smaller / bigger in the hand when driving?

Yes, you may note something is not the same during the first few minutes...

But you will not miss the OEM knob... for sure...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members