I'm devastated! Pilrig Motors is to close

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Pilrig Motors is a wee "old school" motor accessory shop - but oh so much more. Situated on Edinburgh's famous, some might say infamous, Leith Walk it's been there for as long as I can remember. It probably opened before I was born - and I'm now in my mid 70s. Run by the Banks family, laterly 3 brothers, it's an absolute institution much loved by Leithers and people from further afield alike. Much of their business appeared to be passing trade and there was nearly always one or two vehicles at the kerbside having a new battery fitted, number plates sorted out, a set of wiper blades or fan belt installed. In years past there would often be an auld wifey in getting a gallon of paraffin for their heater. They also had a small workshop round the back for bigger jobs. In years past their father used to do the local auto jumbles which has resulted in a wonderful stock of older and obscure parts accumulating in the back shop. I just loved going in there, there was that lovely smell of old engine oil, used components and stale petrol which permeates such establishments and, if you had your good clothes on, you would look carefully at the counter before leaning on it! Over the years I've made many purchases from them and never had a problem, always being made to feel welcome even if all I'd done was drop in for a quick word of advice or even just a quick hello as I was passing (I'm somewhat less active now in my later years). I think the tram works, which has stopped people being able to stop in front of their shop, has been quite a problem for them but also retirement is looming. Anyway, they are shutting the doors for good on Sat 11 February and I, for one, am desolate! We'll never see their likes again in my opinion.

Hi RUM, maybe you know them too? If so, anything you'd like to say by way of eulogy?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Yep, I remember going there in my twenties for bits for my old Mini that was always needing something. Not been for years as too difficult to park anywhere in Edinburgh these days, thought it had closed many years ago as most of the other old school shops like them had. So called progress folk would say, for newer cars not needing so much fettleing these days. Sad loss all the same, still remember pushing the old Mini about while setting the valve clearances outside my mum's, great fun, not like today's motors all needing computers plugged in.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Sure I occasionally dropped parts in there when I worked for Euro Car Parts in Edinburgh, certainly passed there daily as Leith was my delivery area, getting harder for the small indie to continue, my mates place in Dunfermline is plodding along but competition is stiff now.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A bit late in seeing this thread:- yes, probably the first place, that I knew about, that stocked Waxoyl, I did tend to go in every time that I passed - oh, and bought my Gunsons Trackrite there!

We had lunch in Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago, there is still one of these shops there, I restrained myself though and carried on by, but I could be the shiny spanners through the window!

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
It’s in the high st, I tend to look in there in ’just in case‘ after a visit to the record store, then lunch.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.