I'm in a quandary

johnd

Nov 18, 2018
I'm in a quandary for choosing my next car and was just wondering whether anyone here might have any pointers for me. Perhaps it's all just down to me and my individual preferences - obviously no-one else can decide for me. That's all fine, but any thoughts would be gratefully received. Scenario as follows:

Looking to buy a powerful compact (4wd) SUV/crossover from new. Currently run a 2019 Q3 SB 45TFSI which is OK (in many ways good), but would be nice to have something with rather more power - 300bhp looks to be a sweet spot for this type of car.

Pet hates are very low profile tyres - current Q3 has 40 profile tyres on 20" wheels and that's plenty low enough. I definitely do want DCC and no lower than 40 profile. Another real turn-off is an infotainment screen that just sticks up from the top of the dash eg like a Q2. Pan roof is highly desirable. Don't want a hybrid - I don't do so many miles as to be really bothered about fuel cost and don't see the point of lugging around all the extra hybrid gubbins for some largely theoretical benefit. (My next car after this will likely be a full EV but change to EV models and specs and charging infrastructure is still happening too quickly for now to be the right time to jump for me.)

With these constraints there isn't too much choice and I find myself looking at Cupra Formentor or Ateca (with maybe another Q3 as a fallback). But choosing between Ateca and Formentor isn't easy.

Ateca: Pros are the higher driving position (which I like) and the retention of physical HVAC controls. I can live with the boxy shape I think. Cons to me are that it just feels like an old model now - main infotainment screen is still relatively small (though neatly integrated into the dash, which is a plus) and interior is dull/bland. So I'm guessing that depreciation will be significant. Also,, I like the idea of an active forum for the model. This one obviously exists but does seem pretty quiet. Looking around, there do seem to have been only around 1000 or so Cupra Ateca's sold in the UK so far, so maybe a low traffic forum is unsurprising? Actually one other Ateca con for me would be the Petrol Blue seats but I can't make out whether these are currently mandatory or not for new orders - the brochure would suggest not, but I'm not convinced.

Formentor: Pros are mainly that it's a (relatively) new model and so prices might hold up better, plus handling is suggested to be better than Ateca, though not all road-testers seem to agree except maybe at the limit, which I'm unlikely to explore routinely. Formentor is big enough for my limited needs. Styling I'm really unsure about - it's certainly different but can't decide whether I really like it or not, but probably acceptable. Main cons for me are the seating might be too low - OK I know the seat is generously adjustable but the driving position and ergonomics seem designed around a lower seat. The lack of physical buttons and the high-mounted ICE screen are also reasons to mark down but I can probably live with both. The screen position is semi-integrated into the dash which is one step better than the Q2 and I can probably live with the touch-screen once a few months' muscle memory has been built up.

There is the issue of delivery time for a new order with pan roof, but that's probably a lottery whichever model I choose.

Sorry, long post and I know it's unlikely that anyone can help hugely, but any thoughts would be read with interest.

Chappers

Sep 17, 2018
Not sure my reply will help that much but here goes. I have just bought a Cupra Ateca, after coming from an M135i XDrive, I like the high driving position and the really comfy seats. Yes the dash may not be at the cutting edge but I do prefer physical buttons over everything being on touch screen. I havent driven the Formentor but I am not a fan of the interior. The Ateca does seem to hold up price wise and I was surprised at how much they are going for when I was looking, possibly down to the inflated used car values. When I picked my car up, I was chatting to the saleman about the Formentor and he thought the Ateca was more planted on the road. I love how "normal" the Ateca looks and unless you notice the 4 exhausts poking out no one really knows what it is. Its solid, roomy, comfortable and of course pretty fast. I noticed how quiet the forum is, but didnt realise the Ateca was sold in such low numbers. I kind of like being in a fairly exclusive club. If it was my choice, I think I would go Ateca.

johnd

Nov 18, 2018
Thanks, that's a helpful comment. Yes, I think that the Q-car (is that phrase still used these days?) character of the Cupra Ateca has some real appeal. And in some ways I quite like the no-nonsense boxy but practical shape - it does remind me of the Yeti I used to run some years back - definitely an unsexy shape but if you could look past that then it was actually an excellent all-round machine for its time (mine was 2010) and the CR170 diesel had more grunt than you might expect.

Handling is tricky to compare between Ateca and Formentor. I dare say that Formentor has a slightly lower centre of gravity and so probably corners a bit better at the limit. That said, I'm not looking to take every corner at maximum g. Like most of us I guess, I'll be poodling around in Comfort most of the time, but ability for speedy overtakes is important on the rural roads around here, plus it's great to have the extra performance when the mood does take you for more spirited driving. But my current Q3 does have a tendency to understeer eg coming off a fast roundabout despite its 4wd and it would be nice to have something that was a bit more pointy, though maybe that's too much to expect from any compact SUV.

What bothers me about the Formentor is the lower driving position - need to have an extended test drive to sort this out I think. I like both physical controls AND a large ICE screen so I'm a bit conflicted on Ateca vs Formentor. But Formentor is the way most new cars are going so I'm probably content to sacrifice the physical controls and get used to the new way of doing things.

On Cupra Ateca numbers: Please don't take my estimate as gospel - I was just looking at https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/ . Unfortunately the Cupra Ateca seems split between 6 different registration models. But only two of these have significant numbers: SEAT ATECA CUPRA 300 C&S 4DRIVE S-A (294) and SEAT ATECA CUPRA 300 TSI 4DRIVE S-A (813), figures to end July. Curiously, VZ1 is mentioned, but not VZ2 or VZ3. Maybe the next update later this month will show more?

(And that said, there are only 300 or so Formentor VZ models showing, along with around 500 lesser Formentors.)

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Cupra Ateca runs 40/19 or 35/20 tyres. It also has DCC by default, so decision made. FWIW I came from an S3, 19"/40 profiles and mag ride. It was hell, rock hard or granite. The Cupra Ateca is light years ahead in ride quality, even on the 35 profiles.

Reactions: pburv

johnd

Nov 18, 2018
Cupra Ateca runs 40/19 or 35/20 tyres. It also has DCC by default, so decision made. FWIW I came from an S3, 19"/40 profiles and mag ride. It was hell, rock hard or granite. The Cupra Ateca is light years ahead in ride quality, even on the 35 profiles.
Thanks and yeah, I appreciate that the tyre profile is only one aspect that determines ride quality overall, but it's perhaps still useful to have some sort of benchmark. And for me that is not wanting to go lower than 40 profile, whether that's on a 19 or 20" wheel. It's not just the ride, I always feel that 35 profile (and lower) is more vulnerable in other ways, eg even less rubber to protect the alloys. So on Ateca I wouldn't be looking beyond 19/40.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Mines a special edition, hence the 20” wheels. Standard Cupra Ateca are 19” and 40 profile. The ride on mine, in comfort, as close to my A4 Avant with 18”/45 and 20mm lowered sports suspension. Firm but compliant. No complaints from SWMBO either. It also has blue seats, but I like the leather / alcantara mix.

cupraatecastu

Jun 29, 2020
I'm in a quandary for choosing my next car and was just wondering whether anyone here might have any pointers for me. Perhaps it's all just down to me and my individual preferences - obviously no-one else can decide for me. That's all fine, but any thoughts would be gratefully
received. Scenario as follows:

Looking to buy a powerful compact (4wd) SUV/crossover from new. Currently run a 2019 Q3 SB 45TFSI which is OK (in many ways good), but would be nice to have something with rather more power - 300bhp looks to be a sweet spot for this type of car.

Pet hates are very low profile tyres - current Q3 has 40 profile tyres on 20" wheels and that's plenty low enough. I definitely do want DCC and no lower than 40 profile. Another real turn-off is an infotainment screen that just sticks up from the top of the dash eg like a Q2. Pan roof is highly desirable. Don't want a hybrid - I don't do so many miles as to be really bothered about fuel cost and don't see the point of lugging around all the extra hybrid gubbins for some largely theoretical benefit. (My next car after this will likely be a full EV but change to EV models and specs and charging infrastructure is still happening too quickly for now to be the right time to jump for me.)

With these constraints there isn't too much choice and I find myself looking at Cupra Formentor or Ateca (with maybe another Q3 as a fallback). But choosing between Ateca and Formentor isn't easy.

Ateca: Pros are the higher driving position (which I like) and the retention of physical HVAC controls. I can live with the boxy shape I think. Cons to me are that it just feels like an old model now - main infotainment screen is still relatively small (though neatly integrated into the dash, which is a plus) and interior is dull/bland. So I'm guessing that depreciation will be significant. Also,, I like the idea of an active forum for the model. This one obviously exists but does seem pretty quiet. Looking around, there do seem to have been only around 1000 or so Cupra Ateca's sold in the UK so far, so maybe a low traffic forum is unsurprising? Actually one other Ateca con for me would be the Petrol Blue seats but I can't make out whether these are currently mandatory or not for new orders - the brochure would suggest not, but I'm not convinced.

Formentor: Pros are mainly that it's a (relatively) new model and so prices might hold up better, plus handling is suggested to be better than Ateca, though not all road-testers seem to agree except maybe at the limit, which I'm unlikely to explore routinely. Formentor is big enough for my limited needs. Styling I'm really unsure about - it's certainly different but can't decide whether I really like it or not, but probably acceptable. Main cons for me are the seating might be too low - OK I know the seat is generously adjustable but the driving position and ergonomics seem designed around a lower seat. The lack of physical buttons and the high-mounted ICE screen are also reasons to mark down but I can probably live with both. The screen position is semi-integrated into the dash which is one step better than the Q2 and I can probably live with the touch-screen once a few months' muscle memory has been built up.

There is the issue of delivery time for a new order with pan roof, but that's probably a lottery whichever model I choose.

Sorry, long post and I know it's unlikely that anyone can help hugely, but any thoughts would be read with interest.

I have a standard 2019 Cupra Ateca and absolutely love it. I have only driven a lower engined Formentor when I had one as a courtesy car when mine was in for a service, so I can’t make a direct comparison with regards to power and handling, etc. All I know is mine has plenty of power for most everyday driving in comfort mode and great handling to match.

I would say looks are subjective, I personally prefer the look of the Cupra Ateca. You don’t see many on the road and I still get people ask what it is!

Finally your comment about being a quite forum, it is, but may be that is because we mainly enjoy trouble free motoring, which unfortunately isn’t the case currently with a lot of Formentor owners.

Sep 16, 2021
Cupra Ateca VZ2 owner here - we were originally going for the Formentor but when we parked are outgoing V90 CC next to it, it was the same height. That, along with the sketchy interior design moved us over to the Ateca and glad we did - much prefer the look and the extra height is welcome as well.

Tell

Staff member
You probably shouldn't under estimate the MQB Evo software bugs that seem to be across all of the chassis in the VAG brands. You can draw one of those Venn diagrams. Mib3 is one circle. MQB Evo is another. With the 2020- cars you get the double dose of issues mib3 and MQB Evo if you go for the Formentor. 2020- less MQB Evo just the Mib3. <2020 ~ 2020 Mib2. That's what the pre 2020- Ateca Cupra's had... work perfectly already. 2020- mib3 issues, Formentor throw in the MQB Evo system bugs that splatter across systems if you read the Forum over their, Golf 8 etc.

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Exactly same scenario. Jumped from a pfl S3 saloon with magride ect. I found that I have more confidence in throwing the Cupra into and out of corners than I did with the S3. The comfort is also miles better than the S3. To add to this my wife's Q3 (now gone) wasn't a patch on my Cupra for comfort and of course performance. Haven't driven a Formentor yet but am glad I chose the Cupra Ateca.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.