Improving handling without lowering.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I have wanted to improve the handling of my car for a little while, but i have now come across a problem. I have recently moved to a new flat with underground parking. The problem is the ramps are so steep i can't afford to lower the car, not even by a few mm.

How can I improve the handling? From what I have seen if I replace the suspension the car will become lower.

I already have the front lower strut brace. Would anti roll bars be worth it on there own.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
yup arb's are a good investment, take a loko at koni fsd's too, uprated damper designed to be used with standard springs (which set your ride height)

millzeee

Jun 9, 2004
Reading
www.virginpowder.co.uk
this is quite interesting and is very much what i am considering as i don't want to lower the car or declair any thing to my insurance, from what i have found all with other cars not seats, an upgrade to bilstein sports on standard springs etc makes a big differance. apparently this is what you get with the sport packs on bmw's, porsches etc

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Interesting, but I thought it wasn't a good idea to change the shocks without changing the springs? My car has done about 37k by the way.

millzeee

Jun 9, 2004
Reading
www.virginpowder.co.uk
the shocks are standard length so not to be used with lowered springs, i still am in too minds. in my opinion the LCR is very much under damped so upraded dampers with standard springs could work well but it would be very much a trial.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I was thinking more along the lines of the Anti roll bars as i think the cars biggest problem is body roll, particually at the rear. Anyone know if anyone has upgraded the ARB on there own without doing the suspension?

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi
I agree with Saul
The FSD shockers are fantastic and are well worth checking out.
They do not need lowering to use them.
It is more the shockers that need checking out when putting lowering springs on.
Alot of people just use the lowering springs and dont even think of shockers.
I would say that FSD`s would be at the top of my list
Sarah

millzeee

Jun 9, 2004
Reading
www.virginpowder.co.uk
they sound spot on, i notice they are not listed for a LCR though

Koni FSD Shock Absorbers

KONI introduces the first no-compromise shock absorber in the world. In other words: a complete turn around in road-holding. Until recently you only had a choice between shock absorbers that were either more firm or more comfortable. Cars with firm suspension do have better road-holding but there is a trade-off in the level of comfort. Cars with soft suspension are more comfortable but have disadvantages in terms of optimum road-holding.

KONI FSD: Frequency Selective Damping. A revolutionary new technique whereby the benefits of both types of ride are combined in one perfect shock absorber. Banishing the disadvantages of the past.

Ends the compromise between comfort and handling
Can be integrated in conventional damper layouts
No need for sensors, cables, or other electronic devices
Creates an additional variable in fine-tuning the car’s behaviour
Quick and easy to develop for existing suspensions
Damper cost efficient
Can be used with existing springs or aftermarket ones upto a drop of 35mm

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Hi Sarah

How much would FSD be and how much does it cost to fit them. Not quiet in the position to get it done yet, just doing some research at the moment.

Oh my car is a 1.8t Cupra on a 04 plate

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
£322.00 + VAT
The retail of these are usually about the £400.00 mark
So we have these at a great price at the moment.
Have a look round and check them out.
We fitted some to Jasons Octy too
Very nice drive , and will take the stick that you give them too
Sarah

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Sarah - sorry i couldnt ring you today regarding the FSD's - will ring tomorrow!

I'm going for the FSD's but with eibach lowering springs, as Sarah highly recommends them and so do lots of other people :)

Just glad they can be used with either std or lowered springs :) (well, only to 30mm but thats enough)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
stop taking this off topic - and pabs does NOT have an endless pot - pabs is spending ONLY what he has to now - if my FK kit wasnt dead i wouldnt get another kit!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
just to say my set up has only dropped 20mm and its a great drive on 18" wheels. cant drop even a bit?

just had rear arb fitted and if a very different car now.... understeer is far less and its tighter.

Oliveracc

Apr 5, 2006
Glasgow
AwesomeSarah said:
£322.00 + VAT
The retail of these are usually about the £400.00 mark
So we have these at a great price at the moment.
Have a look round and check them out.
We fitted some to Jasons Octy too
Very nice drive , and will take the stick that you give them too
Sarah

I've been told by a few places such as BigBoysToys that there are no KONI FSDs which will fit the LCR...

Can anyone confirm this?

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
TimBarratt said:
Hi Sarah

How much would FSD be and how much does it cost to fit them. Not quiet in the position to get it done yet, just doing some research at the moment.

Oh my car is a 1.8t Cupra on a 04 plate
Ooops teach me to read ;)
Fitting is £167.50 + VAT and that includes the geo set up afterwards
Sarah

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Oliveracc said:
I've been told by a few places such as BigBoysToys that there are no KONI FSDs which will fit the LCR...

Can anyone confirm this?
Yes we can get these for the LCR , these are £322.00 + VAT
I know that WILL help :)
Sarah

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members