Infotainment

Apr 14, 2022
Hi

I received my car two weeks ago, it has 380 miles on the clock, and 220 miles of them are delivery mileage, i have not been able to drive , because i broke my leg three days after delivery, so my wife has been driving, She drove me to the shops last night and the infotainment system went loopy, It started giving off all sorts of spurious alarms, SOS, brakes, reversing and parking sensor, It has eventually switched the whole screen off,

This is where we are now, the screen is completely off, i get alarm showing up on the driving panel , but the infotainment screen is completely blank, to say i am pissed of is an understatement, if i hadn't seen it myself, i would have blamed the wife.

How do i get this restored, i am going to need the car picked up as i am not taking a day of work for this, i have just shelled out 30 grand for this motor.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
You could try a reset by holding the power button down - if you search on the forums here you'll find the correct method of doing that. Hope you get it sorted, but unfortunately you're not alone with the issue.

Apr 14, 2022
You could try a reset by holding the power button down - if you search on the forums here you'll find the correct method of doing that. Hope you get it sorted, but unfortunately you're not alone with the issue.
Cheers, i will give it a try

Apr 14, 2022
Cheers mate, it seems to have worked for the moment, but it has put a slight doubt in my mind about the vehicle

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Cheers mate, it seems to have worked for the moment, but it has put a slight doubt in my mind about the vehicle
Glad it worked for you. The software in these cars, as well as many other VW group models does appear to be a tad flaky. There's plenty on the forum about the issue, although to be fair, there are many people who have had no problems at all.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Glad it worked for you. The software in these cars, as well as many other VW group models does appear to be a tad flaky. There's plenty on the forum about the issue, although to be fair, there are many people who have had no problems at all.
"A tad flaky" - more like an absolute **** show! The sheer volume of fundamental and core issues reported on here is a joke. From what I've read, the number of people who haven't experienced any issues are far fewer in number than those who have

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
"A tad flaky" - more like an absolute **** show! The sheer volume of fundamental and core issues reported on here is a joke. From what I've read, the number of people who haven't experienced any issues are far fewer in number than those who have
I was trying to be diplomatic - a novel first for me :p
But you're right, it does seem to be a major clusterfudge.

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
Believe a code update has recently been released, so perhaps see if a dealer can update it. Their is a thread about it somewhere on here. I had had to reset mine about three or four times because of various glitches over the past year. So was thinking of asking for the newer code. But apparently needs to go to a dealer for it, for a few hours.

ES_Formentor

Sep 30, 2021
Not sure if you have your car yet, if not suggest you wait until then to pass judgement.

I have a Sept 21 car which has done 5000 miles 204 Hybrid V2. Yes it has some bugs in the software and the system is slowish (1804 software/firmware) but it has no more bugs or bugs of a severity than my last 2019 G20 BMW that was eventually updated 2 years later after its first service.oh and guess what the dealer didnt complete the upgrade on its first visit even though the paperwork said they had! I digress.

So far there has not been anything which has prevented the quiet enjoyment of our car. I have had continuous dialogue with my dealer on the bugs as i have discovered them and been advised that further updates are due during April (so think at least May) and if i can live with the bugs he suggests I wait rather than losing the car for another day at a later date.

It seems some dealers are hit and miss on service but that is for the owner to suss out and vote with their feet on the bad ones as i said before other prestige brands are just as hit and miss.

Reactions: Bear

Tell

Staff member
Formentor and Leon 4 threads have the bulk of the mib3 issues being discussed. The firmware release code xxxx are interchangeable so if someone is talking about that release and you are on it etc There are sub releases. Anything higher is a newer release.

The SOS error is when the screen goes wild and you get an auditable bang. That's the one that most annoys people.

The one where it stops you from overtaking in the right hand lane since it thinks you are undertaking using lane assist has been fixed in newer releases, so it has been said. You can code off undertaking prevention and also auto lane assist to last setting. Least on Formentor's and Leon 4s. That's if you get fed up waiting and go for direct action via Obdeleven / VCDS.

The map issue of postcodes off the road has been fixed in newer over the air map updates. People who had not correctly enabled over the air map updates by not registering for connect services or going dark, never got the updates. To get a map update / force, you apparently put a destination in over a long route, this then puts a request in for a map update. May take a while... So I've been told.

A reboot of the information system, long hold on the on/off button till the screen comes up again stops any rogue processing in the unit.... till it comes up again.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Not sure if you have your car yet, if not suggest you wait until then to pass judgement.

I have a Sept 21 car which has done 5000 miles 204 Hybrid V2. Yes it has some bugs in the software and the system is slowish (1804 software/firmware) but it has no more bugs or bugs of a severity than my last 2019 G20 BMW that was eventually updated 2 years later after its first service.oh and guess what the dealer didnt complete the upgrade on its first visit even though the paperwork said they had! I digress.

So far there has not been anything which has prevented the quiet enjoyment of our car. I have had continuous dialogue with my dealer on the bugs as i have discovered them and been advised that further updates are due during April (so think at least May) and if i can live with the bugs he suggests I wait rather than losing the car for another day at a later date.

It seems some dealers are hit and miss on service but that is for the owner to suss out and vote with their feet on the bad ones as i said before other prestige brands are just as hit and miss.
No I don't have it yet, but regardless of whether it's affecting your enjoyment or not, it doesn't take away from the fact that the software is clearly riddled with bugs, fundamental and basic ones at that. It's well known throughout the car circles that the Formentor suffers from significant software problems.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021

Agreed. I don't need to shout from the rooftops that my car works perfectly well in all aspects, but if something was wrong I'd be on here looking for shared experiences and possible fixes. This might be why there's more people on here with issues than not. Also, there will be plenty of gripes on all other makes' forums with the same type of issues.

Reactions: dashnine
Oct 27, 2021
Believe a code update has recently been released, so perhaps see if a dealer can update it. Their is a thread about it somewhere on here. I had had to reset mine about three or four times because of various glitches over the past year. So was thinking of asking for the newer code. But apparently needs to go to a dealer for it, for a few hours.
My Cupra Formentor 1.4 E hybrid (now 6 months old) was recalled for a software update and it was about 3 hours. It had gone back in because I had reported serious issues with the satnav, mainly, showing my vehicle on country roads or off road, while I was actually on the M1. (See the photos my wife took as I drove south on the M1 from Sheffield, placing me several miles from my actual position).

They had one job to do! But I still had the same problems the day after the update, as you can see from the photos. The car is an expensive joke and, if I can, I’ll be returning it as a company vehicle because it is not up to the job. Good luck getting yours sorted.
21679ED8-FA06-4025-A444-5E912494BCB6.jpeg
C2D78D5F-7A54-438E-AE64-A06AB6BD36FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Way back similar was reported. It affected car play as well so both the built in sat nav and Car Play put the car off road. That one felt like a glitch in the GPS aerial that both were using if it got both. Reboot isn't something you want to do whilst driving. Long hold on the power switch.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Way back similar was reported. It affected car play as well so both the built in sat nav and Car Play put the car off road. That one felt like a glitch in the GPS aerial that both were using if it got both. Reboot isn't something you want to do whilst driving. Long hold on the power switch.
Yep, affects Android Auto too. My map wasn't just miles away though it was swinging about all over the place. I couldn't even turn the route mapping off so voice commands continued that were totally wrong, no response from voice or touch screen. Put it on charge overnight and it was fine in the morning. Really disappointed that the latest software update doesn't work though as mines booked in to have the upgrade in early May.

Tell

Staff member
Yep, affects Android Auto too. My map wasn't just miles away though it was swinging about all over the place. I couldn't even turn the route mapping off so voice commands continued that were totally wrong, no response from voice or touch screen. Put it on charge overnight and it was fine in the morning. Really disappointed that the latest software update doesn't work though as mines booked in to have the upgrade in early May.
The car's system probably fixed it overnight rather than your phone. Systems in the car stay live for 20 minutes after you turn the ignition off, so they power down in general, an old mib thing. Why people say I came back to the car and it was working. The forced reboot, the long hold on, on / off on the infotainment unit is the direct approach if you can't wait and it's that unit that is the culprit.

Reactions: oldgitdave

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Get your co-driver to do it. You can on mib2.
That's what I was thinking, though I was on my own last time it happened. Sorry to be ignorant but I don't understand the 'mib' thing, happy to be enlightened though. My software is on 1803 if it helps.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.