Inlet manifold plate removal guide...

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
At first this can seem like quite a PITA, but it is actually a fairly simple job if you take your time...

1). The day before (or at least give it some time) spray some WD40 on the three bolts and the metal prong that goes into the dipstick tube. Two bolts are at the front and hold on a black plastic pipe, if anything like mine are rusty. The third bolt is under the plate at the front and it also holds a black plastic pipe in place.

In the pic the bolts have new 6mm lock-nuts as it seemed a little pointless putting rusty ones back on:

1yvhx6.jpg

1yvhxu.jpg

2). Tackle the hardest one to undo first as it helps having the plate fixed in place. My socket wouldn't fit in so I had to use a 10mm spanner - loads of silly little turns.

3). Now undo the two bolts on at the front of the plate that hold on the plastic pipe. Follow this pipe round towards the TIP and there is a pinch clip. A pain to squeeze and pop apart - once unclipped the pipe can be bent over and tucked out of the way by the washer bottle.

4). On the right side of the plate there are three pipe in a plastic clip. the one nearest the front pops out of the clip.

5). Now undo the the two hex bolts that hold the plate onto the manifold. Taking your time so you don't snap the dipstick tube wiggle the plate upwards to free the plate tab from the dipstick tube.

6). This step might not be required by everyone... but my plate would still not move fully out of the way. There is a small 4mm pipe going to the bottom of the manifold at the front right corner. I had to cut this pipe to allow me to turn the plate over and out of the way. In the pic it has a new white cable tie.

1yvhxv.jpg

7). If you cut this pipe I'd replace it with a length twice as long to make things easier in the future.

8). Whilst everything is apart take the time to put a little lube in the dipstick tube hole where the prong on the plate goes. Helps when putting stuff back together...

Last edited:

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
sorry mate me just nit picking :(- 10mm spanner doesnt mean 10mm nut, they will be 6mm.
just incase someone goes to a hardware store and ask for 3 10mm nuts and wonders why they are so big;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members