Instal

Realy need to sort out a amp for my front speakers and thought while i am doing it i could sort out a sub!

Sub needs to:

Be instaled out of the way takeing up a small amount of space as posible

Easy to remove

Good sound quality

Had thought about putting a Amp under front seat for speakers and a all in one sub and amp in the boot ie Alpine Blaupunkt

Any Help recived gratefull recived from the mindfull wealth of knowledge that is SCN:funk:

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
mhill said:
Realy need to sort out a amp for my front speakers and thought while i am doing it i could sort out a sub!

Sub needs to:

Be instaled out of the way takeing up a small amount of space as posible

Easy to remove

Good sound quality

Had thought about putting a Amp under front seat for speakers and a all in one sub and amp in the boot ie Alpine Blaupunkt

Any Help recived gratefull recived from the mindfull wealth of knowledge that is SCN:funk:

Alpine Blaupunkt are two different manufacturers.

Anyway. an amp for the comps under the passenger seat is more trouble than its worth.

Go for a decent 4 channel amp. Bridge 2 channels for a nice 10" sub and the other two channels to run your comps. Make a simple box for the sub and mount the amp on the back.

What type of music do you listen to?

10" subs are best for dance tracks
12" subs are good all rounders
15" subs for bass heads and high db's

andy_gdon said:
Alpine Blaupunkt are two different manufacturers.

Just mentioned Alpine & Blaupunkt as 2 exampels of products that i had seen with a sub and amp in one box![B)] lol

Mainley listen to Radio 1 so a bit of a mix match!

Would you recomend any amps for the job?
Really need to try and keep a small as posible as i regularly use all the boot withseats down
Might posibley put some 6x9's in a stealth shelf eventualy so would a be etter getting a amp with 4 chanels for front & 6x9's and a sub amp?

Last edited:

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
I personally believe that subs should run off monoblock amps and components off their own amp.

6x9's are wank-simple!! They serve no purpose in a proper install other than make a noise that takes away from the sound stage. Invest this money in better components.

I have my rear speakers disconnected-sound in my car is superb IMO. Buy a 2 channel amp with plenty of beef and a set of components to match. No need for a sub now!! Then save and buy a decent monoblock and sub.

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
Its a dedicated one channel amp for a sub/subs. It will use Digital technology so current draw is minimum and the amp is more efficent...and generates less heat!!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Not always true. Some monoblock amps are Class D digital amps and use slightly less power per watt. However not all are, and generally class D is of a lower quality of output.

2 channels bridged on an amp will do the job perfectly as long as it is capable of driving the load on it and it's high enough powered. I have 2 amps sat here that are both 2 channel but when bridged will put out 1000wrms into a 4 ohm load. That's more than enough for 90% of subs on the market ;)

Pete

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
Surely if he is looking a dedicated sub amp on a basic system, he aint lookin for sound quality through a sub!!

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
your best bet is to buy a sub amp package from somewhere like motorworld if you just want a package thatll make a bit of noise. it comes with an amp and sub, wiring and a box so you can screw the amp to the back of the box, wire it up easy enough and remove it whenever you want. if your looking at quality then youll need something a little bit more agile than something that can be 'removed' easily. if your looking at pure bass get a decent jl audio package, i highly recommend those subs, and get a 12'' sub if you listen to radio 1 a fair bit.

if you get the package everything'll be matched and will sound half decent out of the box, and it could be taken out of the boot whenever easy enough

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
JL are great SQ as well!!

Plus their 12W3 and a suitable amp is well within the grasp of people on a budget!!

class d amps tend to give a higher output on a single channel. They are generally more efficient, but are not so great for quality. They usually have a narrow frequency output range (of bass).

a simple all round system would be as said, decent components, sub (sealed imo), and a 4ch amp.

the components are what you should be paying most attention, as theyre the most important.

dont forget to budget for cable/sound deadening/materials!

:funk:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
its an expensive thing to be thinking about isnt it.
i didnt buy a 'package' i bought it all seperately. and when you know that youve just spent all your hard earned on an amp and a sub say, and then youve got to feed it some wire which turns out about 4 guage £2.50 for 1/2 metre (maplins), fuse blocks remote wire RCA cables, earth terminals, new battery terminal/s. it all builds up and all these things youll probably need. ive not upgraded my components but thats the next audio job i need to do so i cant really comment on this.

youll need about 5 metres of +ive power cable and maybe 1-2m of -ive power cable which alone is £30-£35 worth of power wire alone!!! (maplins prices... never looked anywhere else for it to be honest)

on a similar subject what components should i use when i come to upgrade or is it a very broad subject?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.