Yet another Seat Sound issue. Or is it default?

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Hi fellas,

I've searched the forum front to back regarding the Seat Sound system like the one in my 2015 Leon FR, but information is not that helpful nor contains a hint to the source of what my issue is. That is IF it is an issue. What we know so far: 6 channel amp with DSP, presumably 135W. Opinions devided when it comes to quality, and that's about it. Now here the issue I only recently clearly noticed: after every start-up, the subwoofer is practically mute, even though its power setting in the sound settings is set to +7, as always has been the case since I set it up when new. Now the crazy thing... over the years I've often noticed that bass felt less powerful than what I was used to, and I always thought it was just me, or possibly even the weather (rain noise and so on). It's only now that I noticed that every start-up seems to reset it to a default power value. Has anyone ever noticed the same? All those people stating they don't find the Seat Sound system worth it over the standard system, or find it too dull... I'm wondering if this is all due to some sort of default reset? 'Cause let me tell you, the subwoofer bass DOES shake the glasses in our kitchen cupboards when I rip some beats in the garage...

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
What you're describing isn't normal, however I've always found Seat Sound with MIB1 to be lacking. Do you have MIB1 still or have you upgraded?
As I was thinking it through this morning, I couldn't help but think it's some kind of protective function in the DSP. A few years back I had the doors and side panels soundproofed, in combination with new speaker sets from BLAM. I've got the Relax 200RS in the front, and 165RS in the rear. Massive upgrade in quality but they do have a lower impedance rating (3 Ohm at the front, 2 Ohm at the back). Might it be that the DSP protects the amp because it notices the lower impedance, and therefore limits output to the sub? I do get that they are different channels though... Maybe a general overheating protection?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
As I was thinking it through this morning, I couldn't help but think it's some kind of protective function in the DSP. A few years back I had the doors and side panels soundproofed, in combination with new speaker sets from BLAM. I've got the Relax 200RS in the front, and 165RS in the rear. Massive upgrade in quality but they do have a lower impedance rating (3 Ohm at the front, 2 Ohm at the back). Might it be that the DSP protects the amp because it notices the lower impedance, and therefore limits output to the sub? I do get that they are different channels though... Maybe a general overheating protection?
I seem to vaguely remember that there may be a 'soft start' volume, so if you turned off ignition when on high volume, when turned back on it would not blast out immediately. The speaker impedance can have a big effect on the amp, I had a fairly high quality home system and the amp didn't like the speakers and kept cutting out when on high volume.

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
I seem to vaguely remember that there may be a 'soft start' volume, so if you turned off ignition when on high volume, when turned back on it would not blast out immediately. The speaker impedance can have a big effect on the amp, I had a fairly high quality home system and the amp didn't like the speakers and kept cutting out when on high volume.
I do indeed have a setting for the "soft start" volume, but that's volume only, not power setting for the sub. The power setting stays clearly on +7, but the actual power it produces seems like setting 0.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I do indeed have a setting for the "soft start" volume, but that's volume only, not power setting for the sub. The power setting stays clearly on +7, but the actual power it produces seems like setting 0.
What happens if you drop the setting to a minus number then bring it up to +7, does it sound normal then?

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
What happens if you drop the setting to a minus number then bring it up to +7, does it sound normal then?
Yup, it goes back to my desired setting as soon as I touch and slide the slidebar. Last week I even noticed that after taking a phonecall, I had to adjust it again, even though before the call, it was again slid to minus and back to +7. So after every interruption of media playback, even without the system being shut off, I have to re-trigger the setting.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Yup, it goes back to my desired setting as soon as I touch and slide the slidebar. Last week I even noticed that after taking a phonecall, I had to adjust it again, even though before the call, it was again slid to minus and back to +7. So after every interruption of media playback, even without the system being shut off, I have to re-trigger the setting.
I wonder if a software update would help?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.