Installing Fan washers

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I think I'll whip my fan washers out and reinstall the oem pistols before it goes back just in case the new motor comes with pistols.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Exactly what I did.
Can't believe the Cupra does not ship with fan jets ( but then neither does the latest Golf R )

Penny pinching comes to mind! Can it really be much cheaper to manufacture the older style. You'd think if they made them all fan style accross every VAG car it would be best all round.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Cannot believe I did not notice this thread earlier :)
I was also unhappy about the screen washers on mg new car and could not put my finger on what it was in the Octavia that made it better.
I read it here yesterday in the morning and in the afternoon I found a local breaker with the heated version out of a VW Sharan ;)
Paid 25€, but they are genuine VW part and no hassle of ordering from anywhere.
Will try to install tonight.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Finally got round to fitting my cheap Chinese knock off fan jets after I had to clean the washer bottle out, what a job that was!

They seem better than the genuine ones I had issues with.

Love the way they are obviously a copy and they have used a dremel to try to hide the VW badge in the moulding!

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Installed mine today - as per this thread, it is as easy as it gets.
Since the car is washed, resisted the urge to try them out ;)
...will report back when I do, but as per my previous post, I got mine used from a breaker.
... And they worked just fine - big improvement. Just need to fix the aim now, since both are pretty low.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Just wanted to add that since changing to fan washers my screenwash lasts so much longer!

Haven’t worked out exactly how much longer but instead of jets p*ssing screenwash everywhere, it’s spread so evenly by the fan nozzle it only needs a small amount each time.

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
Time 5 mins install (1 hour photos :) )
Level: Easy
Fan Jet Part No 5MO 955 985 C 9B9 non heated about £10 (See here eBay item number:221246183308 for an example of heated fans) or eBay item number:321197661391 for the ones I bought. You can pay more for SEAT branded ones from the same dealer but as you won't see the logo only you will know ;)
Pistol Spray No 5FO 955 986

Pic 1 Comparison of pistol and fan . The fan is slightly deeper than the pistol but this did not matter to the install or effectiveness

iwVMwnc.jpg

Pic 2 Fan from top

JVJ19nf.jpg

Pic 3 Underside of fan. All clips are identical. It is a direct replacement by pulling towards the engine from the screen side and then in a downward motion.

yn9X6ML.jpg

Pic 4 A 2mm Allen Key is used to adjust the position of the jets on the screen in a vertical direction only. There is no horizontal adjustment as that is determined by the spray slot.

Tuqg65E.jpg

Pic 5 Underside of the original. Note the 3 jets. Here the black clip which retains the washer fluid tube securely has been slid to the right. Do not attempt to remove it. The pipe then easily pulls off. Fitting is a reverse.

swxrAo7.jpg

Pic 6 The results from various angles

Comparison of jet of fine droplets covering the screen so well they are almost invisible in this shot. The 3 jets are well defined

2M7KqVH.jpg

Jet seen bottom right

FCR0qoT.jpg

Spray from inside the car showing coverage

b03zEiW.jpg

So there you all are. I'll report back after a weeks trial. First impressions are that less fluid is used but that it is better distributed and will reduce wiper/ screen wear.
Great mod. I just done this myself on my Leon , quick install and looks better !!! Thanks for posting

leonisis

Quick enough for me....
Mar 21, 2016
Bangor NI
As well as this mod for anyone who has the headlamp washer system, have a look at making changes via OBDEleven to how the system works.
It can be set depending on how long you hold the washer stalk on or how many times you wash windscreen.
Washer bottle seems to last forever now both fan washers fitted and alterations made.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ash82

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
As well as this mod for anyone who has the headlamp washer system, have a look at making changes via OBDEleven to how the system works.
It can be set depending on how long you hold the washer stalk on or how many times you wash windscreen.
Washer bottle seems to last forever now both fan washers fitted and alterations made.

Mine are not heated , tested hem and seem to work fine ? Weather that’s required on heated version?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015

This is on my ToDo list, find it very annoying that with lights on they squirt on first pull. Be better than turning lights off at traffic lights etc to wash the screen!

I thinking hold stalk to also wash lights would be best. Just make sure the place that does the MOT knows if applicable because it may confuse them!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.