Insurance Modification issues

Jun 7, 2023
Looking for advice:

I'm currently looking at doing some modifications for my car, and have checked with the company I have my insurance with, however they have mentioned they wouldn't cover the modifications on my policy. I've been looking around and asking other insurance companies for quotes, stating to them what mods I plan to do, and it'll either be a "No" due to wanting to do a 'rear wiper delete'/whatever else or a "No" from me, because they quote prices over £5,000 (such as from Adrian Flux).

Is the solution to just not get any modifications done to the car, or what is the better route to go about this?

Modifications planned:
- Tinted Windows
- Rear Wiper Delete
- Induction Kit (for Turbo)
- Dump Valve

Something to also keep in mind, I have got my car license (previously was riding motorbikes) for under a year, which I am sure they also have an issue with.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
There are certain companies who cover modified cars. Chris Knott, Adrian Flux etc. site sponsors.

Jun 7, 2023
Adrian Flux quoted ~£7,000 - I will request a quote from Chris Knott and see if there is any difference

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I think it’s cuz you’ve newly had your licence. I’d leave the modifications for now to be honest if they’re not financially beneficial. I know one should declare all mods to their insurance company, and failure to declare these can result in an insurance policy being cancelled, but not everyone does declare them… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 7, 2023
I think it’s cuz you’ve newly had your licence. I’d leave the modifications for now to be honest if they’re not financially beneficial. I know one should declare all mods to their insurance company, and failure to declare these can result in an insurance policy being cancelled, but not everyone does declare them… 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm pretty sure that is the reason too, kind of pain - I would perhaps understand if I was still a teen (maybe not at the time :LOL:) but I'd have thought being older comes with some leeway and 🤷‍♂️

Hi.
I'm sorry we couldn't help with a competitive quotation.
Regards,
Dan.
Without additional details, is there any chance to get a rough estimate of how long you need to retain a license before you get affordable figures for insurance with modifications (presuming that is the reason for a spike in cost)?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm pretty sure that is the reason too, kind of pain - I would perhaps understand if I was still a teen (maybe not at the time :LOL:) but I'd have thought being older comes with some leeway and 🤷‍♂️

Without additional details, is there any chance to get a rough estimate of how long you need to retain a license before you get affordable figures for insurance with modifications (presuming that is the reason for a spike in cost)?
If you’ve only recently got your car driving licence and this is your first car insurance, you won’t have built up any NCD (no claims discount), and that will be having a significant impact on your premium.

I did a quick Google search and found document at the link below shows how NCD is built up over time, and after 5-6 years the amount of NCD you could earn might typically be around 50-60%, provided you’ve not made any non-glass claims (glass claims - e.g. a replacement windscreen - don’t affect the amount of NCD you’ve built up over time).

I agree with @H Rafiq - I would delay making any modifications while your premium is so high; I’d wait 2-3 years (or longer) by which time your premium should be lower (if you’ve not had any claims) which should make the cost of insuring your car with your proposed modifications more affordable.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I was told by an insurance broker that some insurance companies consider removing the rear wiper a safety issue as it restricts vision to the rear in some circumstances.

In my option they're right. In rain my Leon & the wife's Fabia would soon had no rearward vision if the rear wiper wasn't used.

Reactions: PING0 and SRGTD

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Window tinting is often a problem as companies go over the top and block too much light and/or tint prohibited glass, high costs discourage this and saves them having to check tints are legal.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I was told by an insurance broker that some insurance companies consider removing the rear wiper a safety issue as it restricts vision to the rear in some circumstances.

In my option they're right. In rain my Leon & the wife's Fabia would soon had no rearward vision if the rear wiper wasn't used.

I’d be lost without my rear wiper - I use it all the time in inclement weather for good rearward visibility. However, we’re all individuals and like different things, so some will prefer the looks of a rear wiper delete over its functionality and rely on their door mirrors. I personally wouldn’t delete my rear wiper - if I had to sacrifice some of the tech in modern cars or the rear wiper, the wiper would be staying put!

Window tinting is often a problem as companies go over the top and block too much light and/or tint prohibited glass, high costs discourage this and saves them having to check tints are legal.

I was out walking in the village where I live earlier this week and I walked past an SUV parked illegally on the pavement with illegally dark window tints on the windows in the front doors - to my untrained eyes the front window tint looked as dark as the tint on the rear side windows and the rear screen which was very dark. Good visibility while driving is important to me and legal issues aside, I wouldn’t want to have to drive a vehicle with tints that dark - especially at night time.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I have modified car insurance with Adrian Flux and found them very competitive but as always insurance is about the car you have, your age and no claims bonus (which in your case is going to work against you), where you live and what you do for a job (When I was working I put down I was a Company Director and the cost increased vs just being an office worker).

I personally found that a small number of mods like you are doing were covered by main insurance company but once I started piling on the changes I had to go specialized broker to just get insured.

As others have said I would build some NCB and then hopefully you will find it easier and cheaper to insure the changes you want.

Jun 7, 2023
Funnily enough, Window Tinting is something allowed on my policy and actually reduces the price of the insurance. However, I am sure if someone took that a step too far and breached the law in regards to tinting, then it would obviously void the policy.

I have modified car insurance with Adrian Flux and found them very competitive but as always insurance is about the car you have, your age and no claims bonus (which in your case is going to work against you), where you live and what you do for a job (When I was working I put down I was a Company Director and the cost increased vs just being an office worker).

I personally found that a small number of mods like you are doing were covered by main insurance company but once I started piling on the changes I had to go specialized broker to just get insured.

As others have said I would build some NCB and then hopefully you will find it easier and cheaper to insure the changes you want.
Yeah, I believe most people with modified cars use Adrian Flux, hence I definitely wanted to try - but I definitely agree I'm sure age/license-age and no claims (although 2 years - previous from motorbike) plays a huge factor in why the premium is so high for myself.

Definitely does seem to be a waiting game to have for No Claims. It's a slight shame, you buy a vehicle - you want to personalize it, but then get stung by insurance companies. I'd be more happy if I'd cover the modifications if anything happened (especially as the small amount I want are relatively cheap), as opposed to a straight up "Nope"/sky high prices. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 7, 2023
There are certain companies who cover modified cars. Chris Knott, Adrian Flux etc. site sponsors.
Chris Knott mentioned they have a requirement of owning a license for 2 years to insure modified cars. So unless Adrian Flux manage to offer a better deal, it looks like I'll be the average Sunday Driver looking car until then :LOL:

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
Does pass plus still make a difference? I did mine when 17 and it acted the same as 1 years no claims so made a really big difference. I personally don't get the rear wiper delete as it leave a hole in the glass (yes I know you can get blanks). If it left the back perfectly smooth, such as plating, filling & spraying if on the metal then its fine for show use but I don't get the logic of removing something that helps with visibility. Also tints are fine & ive done every single car from b pillar back if not like it from the factory but mostly for security & to keep the dogs cooler. Don't tint front side windows as any level of tint will most likely put you over the acceptable level due to being added to the factory tint (most cars even if not noticeable will have a smoke of some sort so this will tip over the edge for legality).
Has insurance gone totally nuts?! I have a Mitsubishi Evo rally car when I was 18, with everything declared, inc full cage, fia carbon kevlar seats etc & that was still only 2600 to insure & a lexus ls400 show car at £2200! Feel sorry for younger people these days (well I dont but I do when it comes to insurance lol). Also might be worth trying Sky insurance as know they are a sponsor on another forum im on and insured people that have had no joy elsewhere.

Jun 7, 2023
Does pass plus still make a difference? I did mine when 17 and it acted the same as 1 years no claims so made a really big difference.
I am not entirely sure how much of a difference that makes nowadays, I will probably check it out and if possible just complete that and see if it'll enable me anymore.

I personally don't get the rear wiper delete as it leave a hole in the glass (yes I know you can get blanks). If it left the back perfectly smooth, such as plating, filling & spraying if on the metal then its fine for show use but I don't get the logic of removing something that helps with visibility.
Kill All Wipers gives a nicely fitting plug, which has a clean finish to it (although I did spend a while making sure it was perfectly all flush); to me it all looks smooth and clean. Sure having it helps with 'visibility' (when your rear wiper works as intended), although I picked up a Glass Water Sealant too - so water/dirt just flushes off. I've so far "touch--wood" been able to see perfectly fine. -- although I do also respect your the counter opinion too.
Also tints are fine & ive done every single car from b pillar back if not like it from the factory but mostly for security & to keep the dogs cooler. Don't tint front side windows as any level of tint will most likely put you over the acceptable level due to being added to the factory tint (most cars even if not noticeable will have a smoke of some sort so this will tip over the edge for legality).
Yeah, fronts are already to factory - I've only got all rears tinted. As much as I wish I could tint the fronts slightly more, I'm not going to challenge the law or get myself in to headaches.
Has insurance gone totally nuts?! I have a Mitsubishi Evo rally car when I was 18, with everything declared, inc full cage, fia carbon kevlar seats etc & that was still only 2600 to insure & a lexus ls400 show car at £2200! Feel sorry for younger people these days (well I dont but I do when it comes to insurance lol). Also might be worth trying Sky insurance as know they are a sponsor on another forum im on and insured people that have had no joy elsewhere.
I will check out Sky Insurance and see if that takes me anywhere. Any chance you can DM me the forum, just so I can see if it'll give a discount - if they would accept it in the first place. But yeah, Insurance seems to be bonkers. Sky high prices, and will do anything to worm out of insuring people. That's all the experience I have on them from speaking to others and obviously my minimal exposure to them.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Yeah, fronts are already to factory - I've only got all rears tinted. As much as I wish I could tint the fronts slightly more, I'm not going to challenge the law or get myself in to headaches.
All you need to do is benchmark how much tint is on there already - any garage with a meter will be able to tell you what %age is currenly going through the glass. From there you can work out how to get to the maximum (70% VLT on the sides, 75% VLT on the windscreen) without any hassle...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise