Intermittent cold start issue

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Hi,

I've had my 2014 184 FR for about 5 months now.

Sometimes when cold it's not quite as keen to start. It requires an extra second or two of cranking before firing up instead of the normal instant start up.

It happens once every 10 days or so. It's always when the engine is cold, never when hot.

Any ideas what the problem is?
Battery, starter, coolant temp sensor, glow plugs, fuel pressure issue?

I've scanned it with vcds and no faults are shown. Anything else I can check with vcds?

The car is under warranty however I'm reluctant to visit the dealer due to the intermittent nature of the problem plus my poor dealer experience so far dealing even with straight forward issues.

Any ideas?
Any guidance much appreciated.

Colin. :)

WhiteCupra290

Forrest H
Jul 31, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Mines is the exact same, I've been back to dealer twice under warranty and both times they've found no issue :) so wouldn't worry about it man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
It's what cold diesels do. It's the pre heaters kicking in.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Do you wait for the glow plug light to go out before cranking ??

Have you tried different brands of fuels ??? I find mine does the extended cranking on BP fuel

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
Mine does this occasionally too although mine is the 1.6tdi

The car won't turn over till the glow plug light is out so thats out the question and in this weather you should have no issues with pre heaters kicking in either! so thats out the question too!

If I leave mine stood for a day it does it but if used everyday its no problem

I am wondering if there is some fuel leak back

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Hi,

Mmm, so I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Yes, I always wait til the glow plug light goes out. I've tried giving it longer plus also trying giving the ignition 2-3 cycles before starting. No change to the issue.

90% of the time I'm using supermarket fuel just because they are more common near me and on my commute.

In my original post when I say 'cold' I'm meaning when the car has been sitting overnight or 9hrs in the works car park during the day. I've not had a minus temperature start since I've had the car. That is a concern that it might get more regular if we get a proper cold snap.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Also my last 2 cars have been VW group diesels and I've never had any issues with pretty much the same routine. Same commute, fuel from the same garages, etc.

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Being honest mine was better during the cold days, no idea why
And it doesnt happen on a regular basis, I thought it's the battery

csx

Mar 13, 2017
I had this on mine - It was the camshaft angle sensor in the end - didnt show up as faulty on scans - the main stealers kept it in for 2 weeks and then one morning - hey presto - it showed up - Only ever happened on first morning starts - once it had started for the day - never re-appeared - and of course - not every day - VCDS doesnt log it - even as an intermittent failure . It only shows up on cold cranking and not starting i.e. after 10 cranks or more. Well thats my experience anyway - they changed the sensor and it never happened again. Hope it helps .

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
I have just plugged VCDS in to mine and see if anything was logged and it had low fuel pressure on the common rail

I didn't save the code!

Next time I have this start issue I will plug it in again and see if its logged again

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I had this on mine - It was the camshaft angle sensor in the end - didnt show up as faulty on scans - the main stealers kept it in for 2 weeks and then one morning - hey presto - it showed up - Only ever happened on first morning starts - once it had started for the day - never re-appeared - and of course - not every day - VCDS doesnt log it - even as an intermittent failure . It only shows up on cold cranking and not starting i.e. after 10 cranks or more. Well thats my experience anyway - they changed the sensor and it never happened again. Hope it helps .

Thanks for this. Is the sensor changeable DIY? Can you quote me a part number for the sensor?

apologies for the delay, must have missed your reply.

Last edited:

csx

Mar 13, 2017
Sorry Big col, Mine was all done under warranty at the stealers.
So cant really help you. 95% of the time it was fine starting in the mornings, but just the odd occasion it would crank over at least 10-maybe 15 times before it started.
After that first morning start it was fine the rest of the day.
As i said - the stealers had it 2 weeks before they found the camshaft angle sensor was causing it.
And they had it another 3 days to order the sensor and fit it . They said it was a pig of a job - but then they would wouldn't they.;)
Hope you get it sorted .:)

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
There's a camshaft sensor right at the front of the engine, looks straight forward to replace (famous last words!) I might have a go at that.

Leon_cam_sensor.jpg

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
Sorry Big col, Mine was all done under warranty at the stealers.
So cant really help you. 95% of the time it was fine starting in the mornings, but just the odd occasion it would crank over at least 10-maybe 15 times before it started.

Mine only turns over about 5 times before firing and doesn't matter if its in a morning or left all day in the sun

I think mine is related to the fuel pressure fault

Might be worth if anyone else is having the issue to do a fault code scan and see if you get a fuel pressure error of some sort

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I had the same issue on my Corsa.... And was the same culprit.... It is indeed easy to replace providing access is OK. On the corsa I had to get under the car. But like the pic shows, basically held in with one bolt and a wire attached to it....If you can replace a spark plug, you can replace one of these...

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
so my latest on this,

I started carrying a laptop about with me and immediately scanned the car the next few times it happened. Nothing. VCDS reported zero faults.

Today I replaced the sensor indicated in the picture above.
Fingers crossed...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.