Is It Worth It? (Tuning A 100k Car.)

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Hey guys. I'm thinking of tuning my '98 TDI 90 Ibiza. The only thing is, it's done 100k miles. Is it still worth doing it?

I would be getting a green panal filter, drill the air box, performance exhaust, uprated brakes, uprated clutch, remap, and an uprated suspension, in that order.

Is that about the right order? Anything missing? It's also worth noting that it will be a very "stagey" process, starting off with the filter and air box done together. Then the exhaust on it's own, then brakes on their own, ect... ect...

I would be extremly grateful if someone could recommend which company to use for each part. (ie clutch, remap ect...)

Also, i've seen this on the net http://www.dieseltuning.uk.com/vag37.html. It's £260. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is a standard ECU remap a better option? Do you know roughly how much a basic remap would cost and what (roughly) gains i would recieve?

Many thanks in advance to everyone who can help me out.

P.S. How do i find out if my engine is a PD engine? Thanks.

(Mods, this is also in the TDI section but is it ok if i leave it here aswell to get more opinions? Thanks.)

Last edited:

sssstew

Editing your spelling
OK lets work through this.

Yes its still worth doing it, the TDI engine is only just properly run in at 80k so at 100 its giving its best all the way round to 250k+.

The mods all sound fine apart from the drilled airbox, dont do that on a TDI, it only makes it breath in more hot air which is bad for performance. a green panel filter in the standard box is fine, they run with an excess of air anyway.

Remap, use upsolute, its a little more £300 i think, but they are the best for the older generation diesels, never heard a bad word about them.

And no your engine isnt a PD, only the newer models from 2002 are.

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Cheers for the reply stew. Telling me not to drill the airbox was a BIG help as i nearly did it the other day because users recommend it. I guess that's only for petrol cars though, huh? Thanks again.

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
OK lets work through this.

Remap, use upsolute, its a little more £300 i think, but they are the best for the older generation diesels, never heard a bad word about them.

And no your engine isnt a PD, only the newer models from 2002 are.

Get a boost gauge, you have to watch upsolute in terms of boost spikes.

Everything you need to know about 1.9TDI tuning is here...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?

I almost bought a 1.9TDI 90bhp ibiza once and i spent alot of time researching their potential :)

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I would put the suspension futher up the list!

If you wanna sell it instead let me know.... want a diesel run around, and then fit my old brakes, suspension and rims lol

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007

I almost bought a 1.9TDI 90bhp ibiza once and i spent alot of time researching their potential :)

Thanks for that. I'll have a read of it later.

Dave, thanks for recommending i put the suspension further up the list. All thoughts are kindly taken. :)

h3ppy

in your opinion then is it worth tuning the 90bhp?? have been playin with the idea for a while but havent done any research (im working long hours just now:rolleyes:).

back on topic.....
what sort of power would you expect with that sort of mods listed above??

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Cheers for the reply stew. Telling me not to drill the airbox was a BIG help as i nearly did it the other day because users recommend it. I guess that's only for petrol cars though, huh? Thanks again.

in reality, any engine (diesel or petrol) will be hampered if it's breathing in hot air. Ideally, if you want to get a good intake, get an aluminium heatshield made which separates the box/filter from the hot engine.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
in your opinion then is it worth tuning the 90bhp?? have been playin with the idea for a while but havent done any research (im working long hours just now:rolleyes:).

back on topic.....
what sort of power would you expect with that sort of mods listed above??

just a remap will show about 110-115bhp out of it, but add in bigger injectors and intercooler and you can look at 130 or so.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.