Is the early Leon alot of bang for your buck?

HarveyGTI

as i am looking at getting an early Leon (2001 - 2002) is it alot of car for your money?

I reckon so :D

can't think of many other cars as solid as the 1.8T, 5 doors, lots of toys and also with a few nice mods (just wheels and suspension) it can look a really great car

opinions please...?

and of course i forgot...tuneability and most importantly reliability

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I'd say so, for sure. Mechanically the age of Leon you're looking at is no different to a later Cupra, it's just a styling issue. VERY early Cupras did have a different engine, but I think the age you're looking at is past that.

But in any case, the engine is well tried and tested, parts are readily available, tuning options are plentiful and if well looked after and serviced they will do a massive amount of miles without problem.

The key thing with this car, as with any turbo car, is to ensure it's warmed up and cooled down properly and ensure all services are done on time. If you're planning on keeping the car a long time, an oil change inbetween services (every 5k for instance) will work wonders in keeping things healthy.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I do agree with good ole Rob but there are differences.

Body Styling
Wider Wheels
Nicer Alloys
KO3s turbo instead of a standard KO3
White dials (I think...)

However, Rob is correct still bang for buck. If i was too sell my FR TDI for something cheaper thats what I would go for sure. You can do some good mods and bring it upto spec quite easily.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's my point though jonjay, most of what you mention is cosmetic. Mechanically they are the same except for the very early versions, as I mentioned.

Engine aside, everything can be changed or modified easily so nothings too much of a problem if you don't like it.

HarveyGTI

I do agree with good ole Rob but there are differences.

Body Styling
Wider Wheels
Nicer Alloys
KO3s turbo instead of a standard KO3
White dials (I think...)

However, Rob is correct still bang for buck. If i was too sell my FR TDI for something cheaper thats what I would go for sure. You can do some good mods and bring it upto spec quite easily.

K03s came on the AUQ engines, so still good for some standard tuenability

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
not as good value as the skoda octavia 1.8T 4x4 saloon which you can pick up for £4000, now thats bang for buck even the leon can't bea, and with 4wd for fast pull away

superhans

I have a 2001 (Y-reg) Cupra.

It's an awesome car, but as pointed out above, looks a bit naff compared to the Facelift versions (MY03 on...).

Nothing that can't be sorted out though, Have got the 18" RS6 Replica Alloys on the way and am currently pricing up changing the bumpers to the LCR/Facelift ones.... if they fit ok.

Get one - they are a lot of car for the money. If you can stretch to a Facelift then do it, if not a 2001 - 2002 LC won't disappoint.

By the way - How do I find out which turbo I have? Do I need VAGcom for an engine code, or is it mentioned in the book or written on the engine??

Cheers.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
not as good value as the skoda octavia 1.8T 4x4 saloon which you can pick up for £4000, now thats bang for buck even the leon can't bea, and with 4wd for fast pull away

If you can't live with the badge, A3 1.8T's start at around £4k. They remap to 190bhp for £400 and weigh a lot less than either the Leon or Octavia.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members