Is the Infotainment centre firmware user upgradable on a post-facelift FR?

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
I'll be picking up a late 2021 (post-facelift) Ibiza FR from the SEAT dealer I recently purchased it from this weekend. I was was wondering if the infotainment system firmware is user upgradable on these models, or is this something only a SEAT garage can do? I know normal software and map updates can be done by yourself, but unsure about the system firmware.

If the firmware can be upgraded, how does one go about it and how do you get hold of the latest firmware files? I'm reasonably tech-savy and have a laptop and USB-C stick. Thanks.

The 9.2" screen infotainment system on my FR model *does* have navigation, if it makes any difference. It looks the same as this one (picture not of my actual car):

1000006072.jpg

Thanks. Does updating the firmware yourself invalidate any SEAT warranty? The car is over 2 years old (so probably has put of date firmware), but SEAT have extended the warranty for another 2 years for my purchase. Thanks.
They won't notice a difference between you doing it and them doing it, if they try to update themselves it'll just get recorded as complete on their system

Reactions: Metalogic

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
@East Yorkshire Retrofits I collected my new (to me) 2021 Ibiza today, but I can't figure out how to display the firmware/software version of the infotainment unit to check if it needs to be updated or not.

The link you sent says "To find out which version is applicable to your unit, hold the menu button & press software update/versions. Here your current version will be displayed." - but I don't see any "menu" button either on screen or as a physical button, so can't see how to access this info. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
I've corrected the website

To find out which version is applicable to your unit, go to settings & then system information. Here you'll find your existing version information.

I got there in end, part of the problem I was having was that the main "Settings" icon wasn't displaying in the bottom bar by default, but have now figured how to add it. Looks like I'm on Firmware 809, so think I'll need to get the firmware download.

PXL_20240316_231051223.jpg

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
I've corrected the website

To find out which version is applicable to your unit, go to settings & then system information. Here you'll find your existing version information.

Hi - so I purchased the 0870 firmware update and copied the extracted folders to the root of my 32Gb USB-C drive (which is FAT32 formatted), as indicated in the MIB3 5F SW Update guide, but I can't see how to actually apply the update, I've:

1) Turned on the ignition
2) Inserted the USB-C drive into one of the car's USB-C ports
3) Navigated to the "System Information" settings page
4) Then clicked the "Update Software" button on the "System Information" settings page
5) I then see an (empty) "Updates" page, but nothing happens and I can't see anywhere to trigger the update from the USB-C drive:

PXL_20240317_094359303.jpg

The USB-C drive is not using an adaptor of anything like that, its just a double-ended USB-C/USB-A drive:

PXL_20240317_094327548.jpg

PXL_20240317_094315288.jpg

Any suggestions for how to get the update to apply?

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Well it *eventually* asked me if I wanted to update the system software, which it did (took about 20-30 mins), though only to firmware 0841, yet the files I downloaded to my USB stick are for 0870, so not sure why it didn't update all the way to 0870?

Well it *eventually* asked me if I wanted to update the system software, which it did (took about 20-30 mins), though only to firmware 0841, yet the files I downloaded to my USB stick are for 0870, so not sure why it didn't update all the way to 0870?
Hi - so I purchased the 0870 firmware update and copied the extracted folders to the root of my 32Gb USB-C drive (which is FAT32 formatted), as indicated in the MIB3 5F SW Update guide, but I can't see how to actually apply the update, I've:

1) Turned on the ignition
2) Inserted the USB-C drive into one of the car's USB-C ports
3) Navigated to the "System Information" settings page
4) Then clicked the "Update Software" button on the "System Information" settings page
5) I then see an (empty) "Updates" page, but nothing happens and I can't see anywhere to trigger the update from the USB-C drive:

View attachment 41339

The USB-C drive is not using an adaptor of anything like that, its just a double-ended USB-C/USB-A drive:

View attachment 41340

View attachment 41341

Any suggestions for how to get the update to apply?
Please have a read through the instructions again. You need to hold the menu button, then go to software updates. The unit will then reboot into the engineering menu and allow you to update

The 0841 update was over the air, not from the USB

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Please have a read through the instructions again. You need to hold the menu button, then go to software updates. The unit will then reboot into the engineering menu and allow you to update

I've not been able to get it to do that, I don't understand which "menu" button I'm meant to hold, I don't see any physical or on-screen menu button and holding down a press on any of the on-screen "Settings" buttons either does nothing or does something else. I guess I'm perhaps missing something obvious, but I don't get it.

The 0841 update was over the air, not from the USB

Ah, that makes sense why that was applied, then

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Okay, i figured it out in the end, I needed to hold down this button on the screen to get to the "Service Mode" page:

2024-03-18 16_22_56-PXL_20240318_161518548.png

I was then able to get into the red engineering section and apply the 0870 updates:

PXL_20240318_161341603.jpg

So I'm now updated to 0870 :)

PXL_20240318_161559628 (1).jpg

So all good now!

Reactions: Metalogic
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.