Is this signs of a head gasket failure?

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
Topped the oil up today on my Cupra to find this inside the oil filler cap.:(
The car doesn't use water at all so I'm a bit confused as to why it is there. It does smell a bit of exhaust fumes though.

The car currently runs and drives OK so is this the sign of a blown head gasket.
Water temp is as it has always been at 90 no higher.
The car has only done 19K

Help please:(

album.php

Don't know where the picture has gone but it is the one in the post below......

Last edited:

Poverty

Topped the oil up today on my Cupra to find this inside the oil filler cap.:(
The car doesn't use water at all so I'm a bit confused as to why it is there. It does smell a bit of exhaust fumes though.

The car currently runs and drives OK so is this the sign of a blown head gasket.
Water temp is as it has always been at 90 no higher.
The car has only done 19K

Help please:(

picture.php

album.php

Whats it like running? Smoking exhuast? Whats your coolant level like? Is it boosting ok?

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
hmmm that could simply be a bit of condensation which has built up and reacted with the oil, give it a really good clean and have a look in a couple of days. I cant imagine a head gasket would go this early on these cars remember its a vw engine plus if the head gasket was going you would know about it

Poverty

hmmm that could simply be a bit of condensation which has built up and reacted with the oil, give it a really good clean and have a look in a couple of days. I cant imagine a head gasket would go this early on these cars remember its a vw engine plus if the head gasket was going you would know about it

Someone I know of might have had a headgasket go on his cupra, with around the same mileage. Not yet confirmed though.

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
Car seems to be running OK. Coolant level is normal, haven't noticed any excessive smoke and seems to still pull very well. I'm a bit confused as I would have thought I'd notice the car not running very well.

Poverty

Car seems to be running OK. Coolant level is normal, haven't noticed any excessive smoke and seems to still pull very well. I'm a bit confused as I would have thought I'd notice the car not running very well.

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about then mate :)

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
Short journey's may be the answer. The wife uses the car more than me and just uses it locally.
I will clean it out tomorrow and then keep an eye on it. That has made me feel a lot better, Thanks, I nearly had heart failure when I saw it!!

Would it be a good idea to do an oil and filter change?

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Short journey's may be the answer. The wife uses the car more than me and just uses it locally.
I will clean it out tomorrow and then keep an eye on it. That has made me feel a lot better, Thanks, I nearly had heart failure when I saw it!!

Would it be a good idea to do an oil and filter change?

take it for a long blast and it all should go away.

Mar 2, 2008
Like they say need to give it a long run. Mines the same do about 16miles there and back aday. When i first sore it i felt ill. my past cars same sort of mileage never had that type of **** on oil cap

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
fitted a new MAF sensor today, and checked the oil level at the same

the dipstick level was good, as was the colour of the oil on it.

checked the filler cap and was pretty horrified at what i saw.

SDC10824.jpg

SDC10823.jpg

Now this last month the car has only done 170 miles, the large majority of which have been very short journeys.
Iike dropping my wife to work ‘2 mile round trip’, then picking her up after another 4 hours. Both times the car starts off as cold, and will have just got up to temp by the time i get back home.

anyway i cleaned all the gunk off the filler cap and the inside of the filler pipe and went out for a 15 mile drive to keeping the revs above 3500rpm.

After the drive the gunk seems to be mostly gone from the lid, and seems a lot better in the filler pipe

SDC10866.jpg

I have noticed my MPG has been rubbish recently, I out it down to th e short journeys though.
Could this cause a problem. I dropped my filler cap a while back and the top cracked. As you can see in the top of the cap, there is a small hole there. Could that cause a problem maybe allowing moisture into the oil??
SDC10863.jpg

however the coolant level hasn’t dropped at all, and also my car is in for its second service (29K) on Wednesday. the oil has now done nearly 11-12k

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Yeah i would say condensation too.

Just out of interest Si, what made you change your MAF sensor and how much did you pay for it? The reason i ask is because im seeing dodgy fuel trims in VCDS which may be MAF related.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members