Issue with driver's door not opening

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
Anyone ever had issues with doors not unlocking/opening?

Seems to only happen when it's freezing cold but lately on my partner's 17 plate Leon the driver's door won't unlock and can't be opened from the inside or out.

For the 3 years I owned the car from new I never had the issue so seems odd it's started now... we did recently fit the sweeping wing mirror indicators, would it be stupid to think this might be related?

I know how sensitive electrical systems can be in cars, and also we lost the automatic opening and closing on the window on the driver's door too which had never happened before, seems a bit weird that two things have now gone wrong with the same door since we fitted the indicators?

Cheers.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
It could be unrelated as maybe the door module might be having having issues. I know people have had issues with them in the past.

Are you able to put the original indicators back in and see if that makes a difference? Would be my first port of call to put it bakc to stock settings.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
If it only happens when it's cold, are you sure the door is locked rather than the door seals being frozen up? I've had that a few times.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
If it only happens when it's cold, are you sure the door is locked rather than the door seals being frozen up? I've had that a few times.

Yeah it's definitely still locked, there is no movement from the door at all and you can't even hear it unlocking.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
It could be unrelated as maybe the door module might be having having issues. I know people have had issues with them in the past.

Are you able to put the original indicators back in and see if that makes a difference? Would be my first port of call to put it bakc to stock settings.
Yeah I think we may have to try that, although the issue definitely has never happened when the temperature is warmer, consistently happens when it's cold so I'm hoping it's unrelated to the indicators!

Dec 31, 2021
Dudley
HI, I have this exact same issue, when frosty outside the drivers door does not unlock and cannot be opened from the inside either. I also tried using the key in the lock behind the pull off cap but that would not work. Sometimes the drivers window also stops working. It all fixes itself after driving a few miles and then is fine until the next cold morning. Did you find out if this was the door module causing the issue? My car does also have sweeping indicators in the mirrors although they have been fitted for over 2 years and not been an issue until now, dont have orginals as they were already fitted when I bought it. Also does anyone know if I buy a second hand module with correct handing (i.e. a drivers side one) Does it need coding? Thanks!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.