Issue with spec and dealer description

Nov 26, 2019
Hi guys,

We've recently taken delivery of a 68 plate Alhambra xcellence (The EZ one though they all seem to have that).

We picked it up from a Seat dealer up the road after finding it at another branch up in Perth, it was labelled as having a fair bit of kit such as blind spot, lane assist, multi funciton camera and traffic sign recognition along with a couple of usb ports in the rear.

When the car came and I drove it home it had none of this, I didn't think anything of it at the time with being in a bit of a hurry, it had the newer led internal lights so thought I'd just see if I was missing something when I had some spare time on the evening looking through the menu's.

From first inspection the car does have the multi function camera on the front (pic attached) but this in itself does nothing obvious. There are no traffic signs shown on the display or anything else, the menu in itself is pretty basic.

I've emailed the dealer about this and am unsurprisingly awaiting a reply, this is just a quick one to see if any recent owners have had this. The car from what I can tell was built in February 2019, I can't seem a find an actual UK brochure from that time and the current ones have all this stuff as standard so I'm a little confused.

The dealer took the car off their site when it was reserved, but I managed to get it back from what Google holds on the cached side of it, link for this is below.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ellence-ez-150-5dr-dsg/2019/ref/arnez-u-21870

What would you guys typically suggest for something like this, it's been advertised more as something its not?

Attachments

• camera1.jpg
    camera1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 232
Nov 21, 2019
I seem to have a similar problem. Picked up my 69 Xcellence last week. I couldn't find one from stock at any of a huge number of dealerships within 200 miles of my east Midlands location. I was offered one that was due in at the dealer inside 3 weeks..... OK....... Not my first choice of colour but Xcellence, 2.0 TDI DSG.... The spec I wanted..... Had test driven an Xcellence locally very nice. I still have some similar issues. Firstly the brochure does indeed mention a small number of features that fall into the "if fitted" and highlighted *. The major feature that is missing is the "Full link" connection. But in the glove box is a triple usb converter for android and apple devices. Android Auto and Apple Carplay are clearly mentioned in the Infotainment features system. There is only 1 USB socket in the centre box and no Aux socket anywhere. Difficult then to run an Mp3 player and phone connection (unless with B/Tooth). I have over 100 hours of mp3 tunes and the phone already has auto.

The handbook is totally deficient in dealing with the Parking Assist system with pictures of displays that I do not get. The button with the Po (capital P small steering wheel) is nowhere to be found. The expected rear console USB and 230v sockets are missing. I must have the optical system as the Park Pilot is showing.

Finally I think I have the 'Self Sealing Tyres'. Other than being mentioned in the brochure I can find no reference to them in the handbook. How do I look after them.

I have not yet checked everything but wouldn't be surprised at more erratum.

Nov 26, 2019
I seem to have a similar problem. Picked up my 69 Xcellence last week. I couldn't find one from stock at any of a huge number of dealerships within 200 miles of my east Midlands location. I was offered one that was due in at the dealer inside 3 weeks..... OK....... Not my first choice of colour but Xcellence, 2.0 TDI DSG.... The spec I wanted..... Had test driven an Xcellence locally very nice. I still have some similar issues. Firstly the brochure does indeed mention a small number of features that fall into the "if fitted" and highlighted *. The major feature that is missing is the "Full link" connection. But in the glove box is a triple usb converter for android and apple devices. Android Auto and Apple Carplay are clearly mentioned in the Infotainment features system. There is only 1 USB socket in the centre box and no Aux socket anywhere. Difficult then to run an Mp3 player and phone connection (unless with B/Tooth). I have over 100 hours of mp3 tunes and the phone already has auto.

The handbook is totally deficient in dealing with the Parking Assist system with pictures of displays that I do not get. The button with the Po (capital P small steering wheel) is nowhere to be found. The expected rear console USB and 230v sockets are missing. I must have the optical system as the Park Pilot is showing.

Finally I think I have the 'Self Sealing Tyres'. Other than being mentioned in the brochure I can find no reference to them in the handbook. How do I look after them.

I have not yet checked everything but wouldn't be surprised at more erratum.

Does your have all the other things on it that mine does not, blind spot , lane assist etc? The more I've read up on it these seem to have been optional systems on the spec at the time which then from maybe May/June 2019 have become standard on it

The dealer is clueless which is to be expected blaming it on the other franchise but I've pointed out to them they have another car in stock the same as mine advertised with all of these gadgets when it in fact does not, but 've had no response on this and we're awaiting the advert being pulled from the site with the page no longer being valid the cached version from Google has gone too but this was all sent onto the sales person when it was live along with a copy of some of the advertised "spec".

Regarding the USB in the back mine only has the 230volt socket there in the pull down flap.

These are all little things I can live without but there will come a point when someone else orders a car in expecting these things only to discover they aren't there and is a little more aggitated by it.

Lastly mine does have full link on the menu but says it needs to be activated by the dealer, I have a USB in the glove box and one aux input too, I'm assuming you will have the same on yours (pic attached)

The rest of the car is fine, we all love it, there is just a slight noise coming from the drivers wheel which the technician thinks maybe the tyre itself so thats booked in for next week to have the wheels rotated round. Economy wise for for my first semi-auto it's matching more or less the Insignia I left behind around 35-40mpg around the doors, probably a bit less when wored out properly with these just being taken from the trip computers.

Attachments

• usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 236
Nov 21, 2019
It seems a total mishmash of stick in what's to hand on the line. This is fine when you get something you weren't expecting but not the other way round. I have come across 'accidental upgrades' a few times. The JIT approach to manufacturing is to blame, but should never occur. I once had a Cortina 1600 S that had a leaking heater. Fortunately I worked at a producer of heat exchangers and pulled an OEM off the ine. At the fitting stage we discovered that the complete heater unit was for a Granada 2.3. Ford, on the back foot, admitted unauthorised substitution.
To address your specific points, my cars vin number suggests production in Feb 2019 but its arrival at the dealer 3 weeks ago begs the question where has it been. Its date however should match the latest brochure/website/features list.

Your Alhambra does show differences to mine. I have Lane Assist, Blind spot alarm, Speed Limit display but no alarm. I do not have an aux socket next to the one and only USB input in the centre armrest and no 230v socket on the back of it (suggests wrong console fitted). The touchscreen displays are different to the pics in the handbook which is difficult to read with its small font. I am unable to activate the 'mirror fold on park' feature nor the passenger mirror fold down in reverse I have been unable to understand, therefore reluctant, to risk the Park Assist system. Ambient lighting...?.... In many respects the handbook does not seem to be the right one.

Perhaps we should arrange a 'did you get what you thought you were getting' for the whole Seat range.
...... Watchdog......?

Nov 26, 2019
It seems a total mishmash of stick in what's to hand on the line. This is fine when you get something you weren't expecting but not the other way round. I have come across 'accidental upgrades' a few times. The JIT approach to manufacturing is to blame, but should never occur. I once had a Cortina 1600 S that had a leaking heater. Fortunately I worked at a producer of heat exchangers and pulled an OEM off the ine. At the fitting stage we discovered that the complete heater unit was for a Granada 2.3. Ford, on the back foot, admitted unauthorised substitution.
To address your specific points, my cars vin number suggests production in Feb 2019 but its arrival at the dealer 3 weeks ago begs the question where has it been. Its date however should match the latest brochure/website/features list.

Your Alhambra does show differences to mine. I have Lane Assist, Blind spot alarm, Speed Limit display but no alarm. I do not have an aux socket next to the one and only USB input in the centre armrest and no 230v socket on the back of it (suggests wrong console fitted). The touchscreen displays are different to the pics in the handbook which is difficult to read with its small font. I am unable to activate the 'mirror fold on park' feature nor the passenger mirror fold down in reverse I have been unable to understand, therefore reluctant, to risk the Park Assist system. Ambient lighting...?.... In many respects the handbook does not seem to be the right one.

Perhaps we should arrange a 'did you get what you thought you were getting' for the whole Seat range.
...... Watchdog......?

I've only discovered the mirror down on reverse by chance, but you seem you have to flick it to the left mirror on the knob then select reverse and it should go down then revert back to where it was set when you put it back in gear or drive.

I think, if this hasn't been done since you got it then you need to select the position where you want the mirror yourself when in reverse, then perhaps knock it back into drive and see if it sticks but mine does go down but I can't comment on the other parking feature if thats the auto mark as mine does not have it.

Meant to reply to this the other day but completly forgot.

stutro

Apr 20, 2016
I must admit I have found it mis leading from seats website about what comes with this car and what doesn't or what's considered optional extras. I have a massive nant with dealer about full. Link and they offered it to me for half price. When I come to pay it was even less. Worth it but seat don't sell alhambra from new with it installed,but Leon's and ibiza they do. So annoying. Hadi known I would of used it as bartering to get the sale. I was expecting rear usbs as standard and not the shitty ac adaptor that no one uses. Going to see if I can retro fit it soon.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2019
I am also having a bit of agro with my dealer. I have a difficult series of problems to contend with. I live in Leicester and took a test drive at my local dealer. The car is part of the Motability scheme and the dealer needed certain bits of info that I didn't have with me at the time but was able to confirm that the vehicle would have to be a factory order and could take up to 8 weeks to arrive. Sadly until its arrival I would be pretty much housebound as my current car was no longer suitable. I was told that there was no way he could hasten the deal so I told him I would conduct a search but keep him informed. I found a dealer in Wolverhampton who was expecting the correct spec vehicle in under 2 weeks so it was ordered. I thanked my local guy and told him we were fixed up. The Wolverhampton deal was all conducted by phone, text and email exchange of paperwork. The representative confirmed the vehicle matched the spec in the brochure and on the 'features and functions list' on the seat website. 1 week later this particular salesman 'left' the job., collection of the vehicle was dealt with by a very nice a n other. We had a walk round the car checked all the main points, he linked my phone to the car with Bluetooth and during the process we saw 'Full Link' on the menu. Great I thought. It was only next day when I explored further I discovered it was inoperative.

Can I politely ask what you paid for the upgrade or what was the best price you were quoted. The Wolverhampton dealer wants £160 but is a 5 hour round trip. Leicester want £190 for a while you wait service.

What does the upgrade/activation consist of.? Does include a new USB socket unit in the armrest glove box with a aux socket alongside as pictured in the handbook.

My car has no aux socket at present and only the 1 USB in the armrest. On the rear of the armrest I have seen pictures of other USB sockets plus 12 v plus 230v euro. Mine are not there.

Regards.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
If you check in the boot for this
33b81dd920722d564f00d13e421d6a55.jpg

Here’s mine as an example
9eb8bd0765b47965f8baa3ca12f6c0b3.jpg

And you use this link to decipher the codes
http://vag-codes.info/files/options/vag-option-codes.pdf

You should be able to determine what the car was built with as standard.

You can then go back to the supplier of the car and argue what was and wasn’t fitted and therefore find out if they have missold the car as having options it never had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2019
If you check in the boot for this
33b81dd920722d564f00d13e421d6a55.jpg

Here’s mine as an example
9eb8bd0765b47965f8baa3ca12f6c0b3.jpg

And you use this link to decipher the codes
http://vag-codes.info/files/options/vag-option-codes.pdf

You should be able to determine what the car was built with as standard.

You can then go back to the supplier of the car and argue what was and wasn’t fitted and therefore find out if they have missold the car as having options it never had.

Nov 21, 2019
Thank you for the info on option codes. I will try to find the appropriate label but I hope the adaptations (boot hoist and mobility scooter anchor points) don't interfere. The list is so long and seems to cover everything but nut and bolt sizes..... ... The example label you pictured looks to have been from an A3 but I see the Seat logo on your second picture. The example label has a number of codes red ringed. Does this show anything in particular. Finally do you think that if I were unable to find the label this particular unique information might be available from Seat UK.

Thanks once again... Kind regards...

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Thank you for the info on option codes. I will try to find the appropriate label but I hope the adaptations (boot hoist and mobility scooter anchor points) don't interfere. The list is so long and seems to cover everything but nut and bolt sizes..... ... The example label you pictured looks to have been from an A3 but I see the Seat logo on your second picture. The example label has a number of codes red ringed. Does this show anything in particular. Finally do you think that if I were unable to find the label this particular unique information might be available from Seat UK.

The label with the red rings is an example I found on the Internet to show you what it should look like. The picture from my boot showing the label in my car gives you an indication as to where it should be located. My car is a 67 plate and newer models have the label located in a different position, so you’re may not be where I indicate.

The list doors show a lot of options but yours should only have around 20 or so of them.

I’m not sure if Seat UK could help you in this matter if the label is not there or covered.

Nov 26, 2019

The label should be behind the left plastic cover in the boot where the ad blue tank is located, it has a twist cap then just open the cover and it’s in there (mine is a 68 plate)

Nov 21, 2019
Thanks again Blackburn... I have found the labels. I will there were 2 still attached to the backing strip of loose in the left hand side boot compartment but not the ad blue filler one. The labels were in the larger compartment which was above the ad blue filler one. This also contained a small black wallet with the towing eye and a couple of what look like securing clips for webbing. I have used the code finder and identified the items included in the build but the descriptions were limited. The e.g. The appropriate code for the infotainment system merely says Radio./Navigation. But not which model/spec. I have decided to pop into my local dealer to ask. I have also decided to investigate any software updates for the info unit to see if I can get the same things displayed as I see in the handbook. I have in particular images from the park pilot/aid feature.

Monks Seat

Mar 23, 2009
Birmingham
I am also having a bit of agro with my dealer. I have a difficult series of problems to contend with. I live in Leicester and took a test drive at my local dealer. The car is part of the Motability scheme and the dealer needed certain bits of info that I didn't have with me at the time but was able to confirm that the vehicle would have to be a factory order and could take up to 8 weeks to arrive. Sadly until its arrival I would be pretty much housebound as my current car was no longer suitable. I was told that there was no way he could hasten the deal so I told him I would conduct a search but keep him informed. I found a dealer in Wolverhampton who was expecting the correct spec vehicle in under 2 weeks so it was ordered. I thanked my local guy and told him we were fixed up. The Wolverhampton deal was all conducted by phone, text and email exchange of paperwork. The representative confirmed the vehicle matched the spec in the brochure and on the 'features and functions list' on the seat website. 1 week later this particular salesman 'left' the job., collection of the vehicle was dealt with by a very nice a n other. We had a walk round the car checked all the main points, he linked my phone to the car with Bluetooth and during the process we saw 'Full Link' on the menu. Great I thought. It was only next day when I explored further I discovered it was inoperative.

Can I politely ask what you paid for the upgrade or what was the best price you were quoted. The Wolverhampton dealer wants £160 but is a 5 hour round trip. Leicester want £190 for a while you wait service.

What does the upgrade/activation consist of.? Does include a new USB socket unit in the armrest glove box with a aux socket alongside as pictured in the handbook.

My car has no aux socket at present and only the 1 USB in the armrest. On the rear of the armrest I have seen pictures of other USB sockets plus 12 v plus 230v euro. Mine are not there.

Regards.

hi there, when we got our “67” plate SE Lux Alhambra we was told it would have full link only to be told it was an additional £120 fo it to be activated. So when the car went in for an issue with the DSG box I asked them to activate it for me. They said there was no parts needed and it worked from the USB port in the armrest. They delivered the car back to be 2 weeks late (didn’t want it back really as they had given me a brand new Audi Q7 S line - very very nice and the world went backwards when you put your foot down!) anyway got it home plugged my phone in and it didn’t work. I read the installation manual they give me from the full link and it says in bold letter a new usb / aux socket, new connector for the back of the new socket. So I rang them up and they then wanted more money for the parts and fitting it! (It was a brand new dealer so I’m putting it down to a learning curve on there behalf) so I said I ain’t paying any more! I’ll fit the parts! (Btw I am a mechanic) so they give me the 2 days later free of charge and I fitted them, it does involve taking most of the centre console apart and removing the old wiring from the old plug and swapping out the old socket, but as soon as it was fitted it worked! So you do need to get a dealer to do the activation via VAG connection but the rest can be fitted by a competent person! Hope this helps!

Nov 26, 2019
I've spoken with our dealer the the price to activate it and the kit is £199, takes around 30 minutes to complete allegedly. I've got a USB and Aux port in the arm rest, no usb in the glove box and only that silly 2 pin socket in the rear console.

Feb 7, 2024
This thread is why I joined this forum, I picked up my 2019 Excellence on Friday, after reading about all the extras listed on the dealers web site, they were partly the reason why I picked that make and model, however, since reading the manual and going over the car, I have found that the majority, particularly on the MFD aren't available. Is there an upgrade?. I spoke to one of the staff today, he said that it's more than likely the girl who produced the ad, just copied and pasted the details into the ad.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
This thread is why I joined this forum, I picked up my 2019 Excellence on Friday, after reading about all the extras listed on the dealers web site, they were partly the reason why I picked that make and model, however, since reading the manual and going over the car, I have found that the majority, particularly on the MFD aren't available. Is there an upgrade?. I spoke to one of the staff today, he said that it's more than likely the girl who produced the ad, just copied and pasted the details into the ad.
Sounds like the dealer misrepresented the details of the car you bought. On the basis you bought the car because of spec / extras that were listed that you’ve subsequently found don’t exist on the car, you could seek redress against the dealer for misrepresentation.